Your favorite way to extend a game beyond your first run of the main game?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Your favorite way to extend a game beyond your first run of the main game?

User Info: Dorami

Dorami
3 years ago#1
Which of these do you prefer to be built into the game to extend play time? - Results (62 votes)
alternate character mode, side story
12.9% (8 votes)
alternate character mode, storyless main game run
0% (0 votes)
branching paths
14.52% (9 votes)
grinding for perfect stats and L9999 for that one boss
6.45% (4 votes)
inverted castle and a secret ending
0% (0 votes)
master quest with a remixed layout
9.68% (6 votes)
new game+ and a lot of carryovers to crush my enemies
19.35% (12 votes)
side quests, lots of them
17.74% (11 votes)
trophy hunting
12.9% (8 votes)
other
6.45% (4 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Which is your favorite built in way of extending the game beyond the "main game," so to speak?
"Why do ppl say Steam/PC has DRM? The only thing steam does is prevent piracy, and there's nothing wrong with that." - Oil_Rope_Bombs

User Info: Transdude

Transdude
3 years ago#2
The grinding part is especially true for Sonic games (F*** you A and S ranks), racing games, and rhythm games.
Steam ID: jessegames1996 | 3DS FC: 2750-1600-2747 | NNID: Transdude1996 | Live GT: Transdude1996
http://www.youtube.com/user/transdude1996

User Info: Tsutarja495

Tsutarja495
3 years ago#3
I'm fond of games where you build your team from a variety of characters, such as Pokemon and Fire Emblem, since that allows for endless playthroughs with different combinations.
I'm not a gamer, I'm a Nintendrone. Here's proof I live to serve Nintendo:
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee371/Anonymous987654321/HNI_0030.jpg

User Info: nonexistinghero

nonexistinghero
3 years ago#4
Sidequests or some kind of Master Quest (with a changed maingame... like Ninja Gaiden Black on different difficulty settings).
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.

User Info: Chokusetsu

Chokusetsu
3 years ago#5
Of those? Master Quest is my favorite.
I don't see the point of a new game+ where you just start a powerhouse.

Sidequests should be there from the start and I don't like only doing them after I beat the game. Rewards feel pointless when I already beat the game once...
De arimasu

User Info: nonexistinghero

nonexistinghero
3 years ago#6
Chokusetsu posted...

Sidequests should be there from the start and I don't like only doing them after I beat the game. Rewards feel pointless when I already beat the game once...

I don't think he means sidequests just appearing after you beat the game. Most people don't do all sidequests on their first playthrough. If a game has a lot of them, it can be a fun way to extend your playtime.
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.

User Info: FenderMaster

FenderMaster
3 years ago#7
New levels, secret locations. I want there to be new places to see after beating the game.
http://www.jvp-boston.org

User Info: Jackal

Jackal
3 years ago#8
Other: Gameshark!
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz

User Info: cavebear56

cavebear56
3 years ago#9
Branching paths.

Castlevania 3.

I never liked new game + unless it really amped the difficulty up. In fact I'd rather if they do anything like that they give you a "Rambo mode", do more with less.

I do also enjoy just getting a high score or pulling off high hit counts (fighting game genre,action games such as Bayonetta. Vanquish speed/rank runs).

Most of the time I come up with my own entertainment with self imposed challenges, but that's more to do with the fact when I was growing up extending a game meant you had to come up with ways to make a game more challenging.
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

User Info: Chokusetsu

Chokusetsu
3 years ago#10
nonexistinghero posted...
Chokusetsu posted...

I don't think he means sidequests just appearing after you beat the game. Most people don't do all sidequests on their first playthrough. If a game has a lot of them, it can be a fun way to extend your playtime.

I know what he means. i'm just saying I personally find it pointless to intentionally leave them for a 2nd playthrough, since I want to use the rewards in mandatory events.
De arimasu
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Your favorite way to extend a game beyond your first run of the main game?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived