What kind of disc does the Wii U use?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. What kind of disc does the Wii U use?

User Info: shanafan

shanafan
3 years ago#1
Does Nintendo use a propriety format for their game discs? The discs look like they are in pretty good shape when I buy them used, so it's not a DVD-ROM.

They have a back like a blu-ray does, but it's not blu-ray.

I remember the Dreamcast used a format called GD-ROM. What does Nintendo use for the Wii U discs?
XBL / PSN / Wii U : shanafan
Wii Friend Code: 8542 2842 2512 6271

User Info: METALINGUS5150

METALINGUS5150
3 years ago#2
It's a proprietary blu ray like disc.

User Info: shanafan

shanafan
3 years ago#3
Yeah nice, just read it's a 25GB disc from Panasonic
XBL / PSN / Wii U : shanafan
Wii Friend Code: 8542 2842 2512 6271

User Info: FayeLady

FayeLady
3 years ago#4
I think its a sort of Bluray that isn't encumbered by licenses. The drive won't actually play back movies, so Nintendo doesn't need to pay a license for it.
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.

User Info: Linkums

Linkums
3 years ago#5
Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_optical_disc#Wii_U_Optical_Disc

"The Wii U Optical Disc (WUP-006) is the physical game medium for the Wii U, created by Panasonic. The Wii U system is backward compatible with Wii Optical Discs, however not backward compatible with Nintendo GameCube game discs.[13] Reportedly to control costs, the Wii U also uses an optical disc format developed and supplied by Panasonic, with a capacity of 25 GB per layer. The optical discs used for the Wii U differ from other optical disc formats in that they have soft, rounded edges.[14]"

You probably already found that though.
Latest: "5 Life Lessons I Learned from Gaming"
http://whattheycallgames.blogspot.com
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. What kind of disc does the Wii U use?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived