Playing on the gamepad

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Playing on the gamepad

User Info: SolarFlareKC

SolarFlareKC
3 years ago#1
So I just got my Wii U but I haven't set it up yet (I am in a college dorm and don't really have access to a TV this late at night). When I turn the GamePad on it says to hook the Wii U to a TV to set up. After I set it up will the Wii U always have to be hooked up to a TV to be able to play on the GamePad or will I be able to just leave the Wii U in my room (without a TV) and play from the GamePad?

User Info: wugeezy

wugeezy
3 years ago#2
Once you set it up you don't need a tv if you will be using off tv for games that support it.

User Info: RahzarX

RahzarX
3 years ago#3
Yep, once it's connected initially, you never have to turn on the TV again, except for some games. (VERY FEW)

Currently, my Wii U is in another room but my Gamepad is beside my bed. I play AC:Black Flag in my bed like a boss. There's an option to switch between TV and Gamepad, you just hold both sticks for a second. Some games like Mighty Switch Force there's a button on the home screen, they're all different.

Enjoy :)
whythefat "DDR, I notice your karma is 567. That 5+6+7= 18. 18 plus your IQ is 19. There were 19 hijackers on 911. You are a terrorist."

User Info: SolarFlareKC

SolarFlareKC
3 years ago#4
Thank you! I am really excited to finally be part of the club.

User Info: FredSavage27

FredSavage27
3 years ago#5
Also, even though the GamePad can be used as a display for original Wii games, you still need to have the TV on to start the Wii menu.

User Info: wugeezy

wugeezy
3 years ago#6
FredSavage27 posted...
Also, even though the GamePad can be used as a display for original Wii games, you still need to have the TV on to start the Wii menu.

I think you can hold B on startup to boot right to the Wii menu. Haven't tried it though.

User Info: RahzarX

RahzarX
3 years ago#7
wugeezy posted...
FredSavage27 posted...

I think you can hold B on startup to boot right to the Wii menu. Haven't tried it though.

This works.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/features_wii_menu.jsp?menu=how_to&submenu=wup-wiimenu-ht-boot-mode

Hold B when you see the Wii U splash screen.
whythefat "DDR, I notice your karma is 567. That 5+6+7= 18. 18 plus your IQ is 19. There were 19 hijackers on 911. You are a terrorist."

User Info: FredSavage27

FredSavage27
3 years ago#8
Turns out it does work, but only if the console thinks you have a non-HDMI connection.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Playing on the gamepad

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived