Why do teenagers count as "mature" gamers?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Why do teenagers count as "mature" gamers?

User Info: BladeManEXE

BladeManEXE
4 years ago#11
GeminiX7 posted...
What are with all these strawman arguments? Who the hell is trying to say that Nintendo needs more "mature" games for its 12-14 year old demographic? Can you actually show me some people are actually saying that they need ultra-violence and swearing for thier preteens/young adults, or are you just pulling the issue out of your arse to smokescreen the legitimate concerns people have?

If you're referring to what I was talking about, that's not a strawman. That's literally what I saw happening with many other gamers my age growing up. And I see the same things with kids today. It's a relation of past experience and extrapolation there from, at least partially based on typical developmental patterns (as kids grow up, the do start wanting to act more "mature" or "adult" but don't actually understand what that means) as applied to expectations and wants in teenage gamers. That's not a strawman argument. I'm not saying every kid is like this or that the ones that are don't wise up eventually, nor that everyone who likes games rated mature fit this mentallity.

Also, how did this topic come back? I figured it was dead two days ago.

User Info: niels200683

niels200683
4 years ago#12
This whole 'teen' demographic is a mere byproduct of modern society.
Didn't you watch the governors speech in season 3 of the walking dead, when he added 13-year olds to his army?

I actually agree, we should lower the age limit for army service to 12. Let's see them cry and curse their way out of those team free for alls....
Doris Lessing:
There's no fool like an intellectual - a kind of clever stupidity bred out of a line of logic in the head, nothing to do with experience.

User Info: HighOnPhazon

HighOnPhazon
4 years ago#13
BladeManEXE posted...
My two cents based on my time in that age group:

They (kids about 11-14) want to be mature, so they act in a way they think is mature. They gravitate towards violence, swearing, and sex. I can't tell you how many people I knew wanted to play Mortal Kombat and other ultraviolent games and watch foul mouthed, over-sexed TV shows and movies like South Park (purely because of the swearing, not the clever satire or other worthwhile content) and anything with Jay and Silent Bob. They have no idea what it really means to be mature (responsibility, courtesy and respect for others, holding down a job, etc, etc.) and focus on the "fun" things mature individuals can do that they aren't allowed to do yet.

This was true in the mid to late nineties and it's still true today. It was even true way before my birth. Kids after about age 11 or 12 don't want to be kids, they want to be adults. But they don't actually know what being an adult means.

With the advent of the internet, they get to pretend to be adults, and try to be loud and obnoxious, saying how everyone and everything should be "mature" without regard for context, target demographics, or even whether or not what they're advocating is actually mature or just inappropriate or objectionable.

That's what I took from watching my peers around the same age (shaking my head the whole time) and that's what seems to be happening now.

Pretty much everything in this post I agree with.
NNID/Steam:AncientToaster
i5 3750K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650

User Info: evosthunder

evosthunder
4 years ago#14
BladeManEXE posted...
My two cents based on my time in that age group:

They (kids about 11-14) want to be mature, so they act in a way they think is mature. They gravitate towards violence, swearing, and sex. I can't tell you how many people I knew wanted to play Mortal Kombat and other ultraviolent games and watch foul mouthed, over-sexed TV shows and movies like South Park (purely because of the swearing, not the clever satire or other worthwhile content) and anything with Jay and Silent Bob. They have no idea what it really means to be mature (responsibility, courtesy and respect for others, holding down a job, etc, etc.) and focus on the "fun" things mature individuals can do that they aren't allowed to do yet.

This was true in the mid to late nineties and it's still true today. It was even true way before my birth. Kids after about age 11 or 12 don't want to be kids, they want to be adults. But they don't actually know what being an adult means.

With the advent of the internet, they get to pretend to be adults, and try to be loud and obnoxious, saying how everyone and everything should be "mature" without regard for context, target demographics, or even whether or not what they're advocating is actually mature or just inappropriate or objectionable.

That's what I took from watching my peers around the same age (shaking my head the whole time) and that's what seems to be happening now.

This teen agrees.
-Not gaming lately. Focused on amateur art.
-Difficult by nature.

User Info: Emerald_Melios

Emerald_Melios
4 years ago#15
Kromlech06 posted...
Can I just say when I substitute for an honors pre-calc the kids usually talk about Sony and some Nintendo (I get sooooo many streetpasses!).

And when I sub for not-even-CP pre-algebra the kids only talk about COD, BF, and xbox, if any games at all.

Makes sense, Nintendo and Sony appeal to more intellectual gamers than Microsoft.

User Info: Maverick_Reznor

Maverick_Reznor
4 years ago#16
lgi posted...
Only adults can appreciate the mature storylines that Mario games provide. Kids go and play silly immature games like The Last of Us.

If you were going to be sarcastic you should have used a better example than Last of Us. Maybe Witcher 2?
3DS FC: 1891-1175-6647 Friend Safari: Grass with Swadloon, tangela, Quilladin
Name: Ulrich
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Why do teenagers count as "mature" gamers?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived