Reasons why the Wii U might have had a bad start

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Reasons why the Wii U might have had a bad start

User Info: HermeticJustice

HermeticJustice
4 years ago#1
Yes I know for the first month 3 million copies where sold, but by start, I mean months, not just one

This can also be interpreted as why the Wii U sales started out high, and then went back down

Some reasons for the fall might be:

--Hurricane Sandy caused some Americans too much distress (October 22-31, 2012)

--It was the end of Nintendo Power, Nintendo's main magazine (ended December 11, 2012)

--the Mayan Apocalypse might have scared some buyers (December 21, 2012)

So what are some of your opinions on the subject, and do you think the Wii U is doing better, and if not, how can it do better

User Info: Hirokey123

Hirokey123
4 years ago#2
Bad name
Slow to release games
REALLY REALLY REALLY awful advertising to the point much of its bad sales can be contributed to the fact that so many people don't even known it's a new system.
I've got a quote that embodies you perfectly, but it's seventy-three posts long, has a few massive flowcharts, and lots of Xion-KMA to Me

User Info: ninjaa1

ninjaa1
4 years ago#3
The name, makes it sound like wii DLC

User Info: Terotrous

Terotrous
4 years ago#4
Nintendo put all their pre-launch development resources and advertising into Nintendoland and no one wanted it.
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.ca/ - Watch me beat "NES Rampart"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
4 years ago#5
The casuals and non gamers who made the Wii a hit have moved on to Tablets and Cell phone gaming or even facebook gaming. the casuals who will get another console wont buy any thing for another 2-3 years or so when there has been a price drop and most likely will go with what is popular at the time.

The majority of the hardcore don't care much for the Wii U because they feel burned by the Wii. I know plenty of core gamers and not one has bought a Wii U. The most common answer to if they will get one is maybe in 3 or 4 years or so when all the good games are out and I can get them cheap.

You pretty much have mainly the Nintendo faithful left to buy this.

Right now that's what sales are showing.
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: Terotrous

Terotrous
4 years ago#6
ArkonBlade posted...
The casuals and non gamers who made the Wii a hit have moved on to Tablets and Cell phone gaming or even facebook gaming.

And 3DS. There's no question that 3DS is part of the problem. Sure, Wii U has a new 2D Mario and 3D Mario, and it's getting Mario Kart. However, you can already play very similar games if you own a 3DS.

Nintendo's been trying to rely on the same franchises to move their hardware and unfortunately they start to lose their hardware-moving power when released too often.
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.ca/ - Watch me beat "NES Rampart"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery

User Info: nestank

nestank
4 years ago#7
You are clueless OP.

None of those reasons.

Bad console
Bad games
Bad marketing
Bad design
Bad power

That's why.

User Info: Craig--a

Craig--a
4 years ago#8
For me the top reasons it is bombing

- Terrible game line up, even a year in I own 5 games and the next will probably be Smash Bros.
- Looks almost exactly like the Wii, its a new console so obviously its a good idea to confuse the casual market by giving it the same name and making it look the same...
- Price. Launched at £300, way too much for what the Wii U offers.
- Total lack of advertising
You aren't the "official" anything of gamefaqs...

User Info: Cairnsay

Cairnsay
4 years ago#9
The main reason is the problem Nintendo have always had. Terrible marketing, like just awful. Most games consoles have no/few decent games at launch, the difference being that other companies actually realize that you can generate crazy levels of hype through marketing. Look at the PS4, and to a lesser extent Xbone, neither have particularly great games at launch (I should know, I have a PS4 as well as a Wii U for transparency) yet these past few weeks you haven't been able to move without seeing ads for them/seeing them on tv shows etc. I think I can count on one hand the number of Wii U ads I have seen. I mean I only just saw my first Super Mario 3D World at about 10.30pm a couple nights ago.

I mean personally I believe the Wii U has a far stronger line up of games for the holiday period, but they will get completely outsold by PS4, PS3, Xbone, and 360 because they will do nothing to let people know. They need/needed adverts all over tv leading up to the holidays, not just for individual games, but for the console itself, highlighting the games already out and coming soon. Instead it seems like they have barely altered their marketing strategy at all in the lead up to Christmas.
PSN: Sushimonster85
The Big 4: Batman: Arkham Origins, Destiny, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Watch Dogs

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
4 years ago#10
Terotrous posted...
ArkonBlade posted...
The casuals and non gamers who made the Wii a hit have moved on to Tablets and Cell phone gaming or even facebook gaming.

And 3DS. There's no question that 3DS is part of the problem. Sure, Wii U has a new 2D Mario and 3D Mario, and it's getting Mario Kart. However, you can already play very similar games if you own a 3DS.

Nintendo's been trying to rely on the same franchises to move their hardware and unfortunately they start to lose their hardware-moving power when released too often.

You have a very good point on that and it is some thing I have seen with my friends. many have a 3DS and is pretty much seems to be there go to for Nintendo games now. Its more then likely going to be more people go to for nintendos games fix. Also has much better support for games.
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Reasons why the Wii U might have had a bad start

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived