What genres should Nintendo make new games/ips for?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. What genres should Nintendo make new games/ips for?

User Info: GeminiX7

GeminiX7
3 years ago#21
VeiledGenesis posted...
sharinagin posted...
Umitencho posted...
Not shocked the FPS is getting votes. I guess FPS is the new kiddy genre.

You're right, there was no appeal to the FPS genre before the 360 and PS3. Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, Unreal, Hexen, Heretic, Half-Life, Goldeneye, or Perfect Dark certainly weren't popular games or anything. But ya know, them FPS kiddies today. Get off my lawn, stinkin kids!

The best part of this is that GoldenEye and Perfect Dark were both Nintendo console FPS games, and were some of the best-selling at the time. But yeah, FPS is for kiddies and dudebros.

And let's not forget that the Metroid Prime series is mechanically an FPS(And stop with that First Person Adventure nonsense).
NNID/PSN/GT: GeminiX7
I'm an equal opportunity gamer...

User Info: cris1ussen

cris1ussen
3 years ago#22
SyCo_VeNoM posted...
harvestmoonmike posted...
cris1ussen posted...
I'm surprise that nobody mention (or even appeared in the pool) the Racing genre, because lets be honest what racing IP has Nintendo?, only Mario Kart, it would be nice if Nintendo make new types or racing games and before someone mentions the classic "Cruisin'" series of the Arcade/N64, remember: the IP was of Midway (it would be nice if Nintendo buy it or recover it)

Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, Kirby Air Ride, F-zero, Excite series... Nintendo has plenty of racing games.

forgot waverace 64, and I think there were a few others

I will say I wouldn't mind a new waverace game, or even a pilotwings that was more like the original instead of that thing that was on the 3ds(while not a bad game, was kinda meh) that would give a larger world to fly through.

Ohhh man i really liked Wave Race (dang how i can forgot that franchise?), but sadly like F-Zero they stopped in the GameCube era

Well now thinking right i think Nintendo has a lot of IPs, the only problem is that they don't want or can make new games about them
3DS Code: 1547-5436-7425, Name: Cristian
AC:NL Dream Code: 4800-2167-4480

User Info: GoldenJoe24

GoldenJoe24
3 years ago#23
Umitencho posted...

I'm going to look at the glass as being half-full and say that people are thinking "Metroid Prime, GoldenEye, Half-Life 2" rather than "Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty".

User Info: DEMONPANDA212

DEMONPANDA212
3 years ago#24
sharinagin posted...
Umitencho posted...

You're right, there was no appeal to the FPS genre before the 360 and PS3. Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, Unreal, Hexen, Heretic, Half-Life, Goldeneye, or Perfect Dark certainly weren't popular games or anything. But ya know, them FPS kiddies today. Get off my lawn, stinkin kids!

Yup, personally I think FPS needs splitting into FPSGeneric and FPSAwesome.

FPSG being COD, BF and many many more, FPSA being Metroid, Half Life and not as many more as there really should be.
3DS (XL) 4854-6425-2855
3DS (Zelda) 2320-6650-1378

User Info: sketchturner

sketchturner
3 years ago#25
I think they need more in the way of action. Something similar to Viewtiful Joe, Ninja Gaiden, Other M, Devil May Cry, etc.
"The debut of the Nintendo 64 appeared... like a supernova exploding in your face."--Nintendo Power

GeminiX7
3 years ago#26
DEMONPANDA212 posted...
sharinagin posted...
Umitencho posted...

Yup, personally I think FPS needs splitting into FPSGeneric and FPSAwesome.

FPSG being COD, BF and many many more, FPSA being Metroid, Half Life and not as many more as there really should be.

Or, how about, we just accept the fact that.... OH wow, people have different tastes and different games are made to cater to different tastes. A game not catering to your tastes doesn't mean it's
"crappy" or "generic". It's just not for you.

User Info: WobbuffetGod

WobbuffetGod
3 years ago#27
People need to recognize that FPS is more a playstyle than a genre. Metroid Prime might be a FPS Adventure game (or more accurately, an FPS Action-Adventure game), but that is no more or less of an FPS. Things like CoD could just as easily be called an FPS Action game, as "Action" is the actual genre of the game, not FPS. In that sense, yes the two are different, but that doesn't make either less of an FPS.

Funnily, when actually comparing genres, CoD and its ilk are much more similar to classic Mario than to Metroid.

User Info: evoxpisces

evoxpisces
3 years ago#28
Nintendo should try their hand at a real RPG. No, not a Paper Mario / Mario & Luigi type of thing. One that actually presents a challenge. I love Paper Mario as much as the next guy but they could use something like Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger, or something like that. Like with an old school feeling to it. I would say make a new Earthbound / Mother 4 but I know that will never happen, especially since they didn't even bring Mother 3 to the States.
3DS FC: 3668 - 8781 - 7188

GeminiX7
3 years ago#29
WobbuffetGod posted...
People need to recognize that FPS is more a playstyle than a genre. Metroid Prime might be a FPS Adventure game (or more accurately, an FPS Action-Adventure game), but that is no more or less of an FPS. Things like CoD could just as easily be called an FPS Action game, as "Action" is the actual genre of the game, not FPS. In that sense, yes the two are different, but that doesn't make either less of an FPS.

Funnily, when actually comparing genres, CoD and its ilk are much more similar to classic Mario than to Metroid.

I had this argument weeks ago with someone. FPS isn't a genre anymore than novel is a genre of literature or pastel is a color. FPS only describes the mechanics of the game, while a genre like Action or Adventure denotes the design(or intent of the developers) of the game. Metroid Prime is an FPS game meant to be an adventure title, while a game like the Call of Duty titles are FPS meant to be action titles.

In other words, I agree with you.

User Info: iKhan88

iKhan88
3 years ago#30
Sports and Sim game. It's a shame Nintendo doesn't have a mainstream MLBPA licensed game. They OWN a baseball team for god's sake.

Also, Nintendo needs to do a Business Sim. The genre's been stagnant since Chris Sawyer left (EA and Frontier have failed in their more recent revivals), so Nintendo could give it just the boost it needs.
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. What genres should Nintendo make new games/ips for?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived