Should Nintendo focus solely on handhelds now?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Should Nintendo focus solely on handhelds now?

User Info: YoyokuKO

YoyokuKO
3 years ago#11
My_Unit posted...
Artillatron7 posted...
Shut the f*** up!

wow this is all people can resort to now? I should have known i couldnt expect a serious conversation on these boards.

clearly that is why you prompted to ask such nonsense in the first place?

User Info: S0ul_Th13f

S0ul_Th13f
3 years ago#12
No. Unless they merge with Microsoft or Sony.
"MMORPG = Many Males Online Role Playing Girls" ~ Someone.

User Info: LMwest09

LMwest09
3 years ago#13
No. One bad year and people can't keep quiet about a lull. The only thing abysmal about this situation is the fact that people keep bringing it up as if this is a 20 year trend. Sony had 3 bad years with the PS3 and Sony is actually in debt while Nintendo isn't. Maybe give them the same time period as you did for Sony before declaring doom and gloom. Remember, the Gamecube was a "failure" and they still made profit.

*This is in general and no way targeted at any one person on this thread/board.

User Info: My_Unit

My_Unit
3 years ago#14
LMwest09 posted...
No. One bad year and people can't keep quiet about a lull. The only thing abysmal about this situation is the fact that people keep bringing it up as if this is a 20 year trend. Sony had 3 bad years with the PS3 and Sony is actually in debt while Nintendo isn't. Maybe give them the same time period as you did for Sony before declaring doom and gloom. Remember, the Gamecube was a "failure" and they still made profit.

*This is in general and no way targeted at any one person on this thread/board.

At this rate though they wont even hit Gamecube numbers and its questionable if they hit Dreamcast numbers. Nintendo would really be smart to pull out now.

User Info: trenken

trenken
3 years ago#15
It makes sense. Its an area they always dominated in, and the console market clearly doesnt need them. The U is bombing while the PS4 and X1 are both selling insanely well, even with them being more expensive, so its very clear that millions of people were waiting for what they perceived as the real next gen to start.

Nintendo doesnt seem like they can keep up with that outside trying all these gimmicks. It worked once with the Wii, lightning in a bottle, but lightning doesnt strike the same place twice, so its over.

At least after their meeting last week they admitted they are targeting casual gamers who are now more interested in games on their phones and tablets, but handhelds always seem to work for them. That should be the focus now because the U is never going anywhere. It doesnt look like it will even get to the GC sales numbers, and that was a failure too.
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero

User Info: Navex

Navex
3 years ago#16
I wouldn't say sole focus on the handhelds as they do bring in more money but there still is a market for Nintendo consoles but not as much as there was. Solution would be to place most of their focus on it but still support their consoles. Kinda like how Sony does with their handhelds and consoles just swapped around in Nintendo's case.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kungfury/kung-fury

My_Unit
3 years ago#17
bump

User Info: stalemate_666

stalemate_666
3 years ago#18
trenken posted...
It makes sense. Its an area they always dominated in, and the console market clearly doesnt need them. The U is bombing while the PS4 and X1 are both selling insanely well, even with them being more expensive, so its very clear that millions of people were waiting for what they perceived as the real next gen to start.

Nintendo doesnt seem like they can keep up with that outside trying all these gimmicks. It worked once with the Wii, lightning in a bottle, but lightning doesnt strike the same place twice, so its over.

At least after their meeting last week they admitted they are targeting casual gamers who are now more interested in games on their phones and tablets, but handhelds always seem to work for them. That should be the focus now because the U is never going anywhere. It doesnt look like it will even get to the GC sales numbers, and that was a failure too.

Lighting strikes the top of large buildings in the exact same spot hundreds of times a year. That said crappy gimmicks don't make sales usually.
psn: Stalemate666

User Info: NovaLevossida

NovaLevossida
3 years ago#19
If this is the best effort they can put forth for a console, then yeah, they probably would do better just going at the handheld market. However, at some point, they're going to have to try to stay relevant in that market too if the mobile market keeps growing as it is, and if they take the same approach with the handhelds as they did with the Wii U, it's not going to work out in their favor.
I think the launch of other video game systems is also good for us - Iwata of Nintendo
the playstation 2 sure helped dreamcast - magemaximus

My_Unit
3 years ago#20
NovaLevossida posted...
If this is the best effort they can put forth for a console, then yeah, they probably would do better just going at the handheld market. However, at some point, they're going to have to try to stay relevant in that market too if the mobile market keeps growing as it is, and if they take the same approach with the handhelds as they did with the Wii U, it's not going to work out in their favor.

Agreed
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Should Nintendo focus solely on handhelds now?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived