Does Nintendo still get "bro buzz" advertising?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Does Nintendo still get "bro buzz" advertising?

User Info: kaiser ryu

kaiser ryu
3 years ago#1
You know, word of mouth in the 14 - 22 demographic. I live the life of a boring house person now, a decade removed from the melting pot lifestyle schooling offers. I am genuinely curious. In my limited and highly insular circles Nintendo is an equal opportunity topic for hype when games are concerned, but I get the feeling we're not representative of the J.Q.P. at large.

For clarity I turn you to this early demonstration of the desired effect. Note that while a hokey simulation, the spirit of this video is accurate. That of kids sitting down and hyping each other about a game's release:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI3rO3PbYOo

Back in middle school Ocarina of Time was talked about by everyone. It was an inescapable topic once a conversation turned to games. Does this happen anymore? I know it does for titles like CoD and Halo because my kid's 9 year old circles never shut up about them. Seriously, the stuff off these kids' radar is down right depressing. Mass Effwhut? Metal Gear Whuzzit?

I get the suspicion that Nintendo, while making games "you know, for kids!", aren't necessarily selling their games to kids so much as parents from my generation buying the games for them out of our old loyalty.
The Tales of series needs more love in America.
Won't change sig until Namco gets wise. Started: 9/8/06 : 3DS FC 0189-8575-3761

User Info: cruelbird

cruelbird
3 years ago#2
You're pretty much right. That demo doesn't talk about Nintendo anymore, they talk about Skyrim/Minecraft.

One user here made fun of me and called me a fanboy for saying that MS was filling Nintendo's old shoes by grabbing the elementary school crowd.

Nintendo doesn't generate buzz anymore. Kids see Nintendo as games that their parents would want them to play. The mystique is gone and other developers are moving in to fill the void.
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/3695/sigbase.jpg

User Info: sharinagin

sharinagin
3 years ago#3
Mass Effect is a largely conversation driven RPG with mediocre-okay action scenes spacing them out. I'm not surprised that a lot of people aren't huge fans of that, especially nine year old kids. Same thing for Metal Gear Solid but because I'm not sure that a 9 year old wants to watch 5-45 minute long cut scenes filled with some pretty half assed philosophizing about the nature of war.
Our knowledge has made us cynical. Our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity.

User Info: Hirokey123

Hirokey123
3 years ago#4
It happens when they build the hype. Fire Emblem Awakening was absolutely everywhere for example, even people who were non-gamers knew about it and I actually know a few people who hate games and still got the game. Even my now 12 (though he wasn't then) cousin who has never touched a nintendo system bought the game because quote "my friends convinced me."

It's not that they've ceased to get buzz it's that they've ceased to create buzz. Good or bad, IP famous or not, and so on are all irrelevant. If you build hype with commercials, adds, interviews, updates, and spread the word then naturally people get buzzed. Then it spreads like a virus people keep getting more and more buzzed and eventually it turns into a topic of conversation. Make the buzz public and make it loud, people were start talking and it naturally gets spread.

That's where Nintendo has been really failing as of late, they've become to tight lipped. They don't advertise like anything but one or two core ips, and so naturally buzz isn't going to generate.
I've got a quote that embodies you perfectly, but it's seventy-three posts long, has a few massive flowcharts, and lots of Xion-KMA to Me

User Info: FayeLady

FayeLady
3 years ago#5
The games that benefit most from that kind of marketing tend to be narrative focused ones. I can tell you a story that makes you want to experience it a lot easier than I can tell you why a particular game play mechanic is enjoyable. When it comes to second hand knowledge, people tend to care about characters and their stories and motivations more than physics and balance.
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.

User Info: Pedrotacopaco

Pedrotacopaco
3 years ago#6
They still get it for Pokemon, but nothing else.

User Info: kaiser ryu

kaiser ryu
3 years ago#7
sharinagin posted...
Mass Effect is a largely conversation driven RPG with mediocre-okay action scenes spacing them out. I'm not surprised that a lot of people aren't huge fans of that, especially nine year old kids. Same thing for Metal Gear Solid but because I'm not sure that a 9 year old wants to watch 5-45 minute long cut scenes filled with some pretty half assed philosophizing about the nature of war.

I was mostly speaking to hype, not quality. Though the line you're responding to touched on quality a bit. Thing is, my kid's friends love Mass Effect and MGS when I let them watch me play or play themselves. They are just unaware of them until I do so. Also your definition of mediocre is fantastic. I sincerely wish the games settled in the hump of the gameplay quality curve could be as mediocre as Mass Effect.
The Tales of series needs more love in America.
Won't change sig until Namco gets wise. Started: 9/8/06 : 3DS FC 0189-8575-3761

User Info: HermeticJustice

HermeticJustice
3 years ago#8
Dudebros might love Sony and Microsoft, but everybody loves Nintendo
fuzzy pickles

User Info: Traptin3days

Traptin3days
3 years ago#9
Me and a guy hyped sm3dw when we were at the cinema and a trailer for the game came up o:
I'm an educated man, I read various remarkable books, but I cannot understand the direction I myself want to go, whether to live or to shoot myself - Epikhodov

User Info: king_madden

king_madden
3 years ago#10
HermeticJustice posted...
Dudebros might love Sony and Microsoft, but everybody loves Nintendo

some love nintendo, but i think most just have fond memories, not so much love.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Does Nintendo still get "bro buzz" advertising?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived