Did Other M kill Metroid?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Did Other M kill Metroid?

User Info: heartlesshero17

heartlesshero17
3 years ago#11
SSJLink posted...
heartlesshero17 posted...
I'm actually thinking of getting into the Metroid series soonish since I never bothered with the games. Just asking around for where I should start

Zero Mission. Basically plays like Super Metroid (the best game) but is a retelling of the first Metroid game.

heh, the guy I was asking a moment ago also suggested it first but I like to get multiple references

I really know not a damn thing about the series. I tried a prime game for a few moments(not even sure which one it was) while I was at a friend's house but didn't play it much cause he was going through a "FPS only" phase and at the time I just did not want to play another with him again. I also tried I think Super Metroid for a few minutes.

So I really don't have much of a feel for what kind of games these are. I recently saw a small amount of gameplay to Other M and corruption and thought it didn't seem so bad though
"Traditional fish sex"
-Bill Nye

User Info: knightoffire55

knightoffire55
3 years ago#12
Gensokyo posted...
Sure, just like Super Metroid killed the franchise back in -94.

Wasn't there a Metroid in production for the N64 that got canned?
I didn't hear your question but the answer is DmC.

User Info: slymshady

slymshady
3 years ago#13
Game was solid. Joke topic?

User Info: SyCo_VeNoM

SyCo_VeNoM
3 years ago#14
cminc posted...
No, no one that complains about other m has any valid reason for disliking it apart from 'i didnt like the way they didnt give you all your powers from the start--' which they never do --OR 'samus was different than ive fantasized about her being.'

A couple cutscense and a slight spin on the series staple of having samus start with nothing ruined the franchise? Gtfo. If any part of that is true, on any level, then it must not have been much of a franchise.

Yea like a story that has more plot holes then swiss cheese has holes, also dialog worst then 5 year old could come up with, and it's mediocre gameplay aren't valid.

I'll be honest I didn't last long enough to get mad at the terrible story (I watched the videos of it) as I quit playing it due to the mediocre gamplay well before the story got started.

User Info: HayashiTakara

HayashiTakara
3 years ago#15
Instead of making the another topic on Other M, how about doing a search and reading through gazillion identical topics instead?

User Info: Absolutezero93

Absolutezero93
3 years ago#16
SyCo_VeNoM posted...
cminc posted...
No, no one that complains about other m has any valid reason for disliking it apart from 'i didnt like the way they didnt give you all your powers from the start--' which they never do --OR 'samus was different than ive fantasized about her being.'

A couple cutscense and a slight spin on the series staple of having samus start with nothing ruined the franchise? Gtfo. If any part of that is true, on any level, then it must not have been much of a franchise.

Yea like a story that has more plot holes then swiss cheese has holes, also dialog worst then 5 year old could come up with, and it's mediocre gameplay aren't valid.

I'll be honest I didn't last long enough to get mad at the terrible story (I watched the videos of it) as I quit playing it due to the mediocre gamplay well before the story got started.

This.

If the gameplay wasn't so boring, I could of put up with the terrible story.
I'm not looking for help, I'm complaining. This is GameFAQs, isn't it? ~ Shad0wflare

User Info: AssdamnGomaOrak

AssdamnGomaOrak
3 years ago#17
cminc posted...

It completely contradicts the plot of pretty much every game in the series and the manga it bases a large part of its story off of, it goes against the entire design philosophy behind the series, it retroactively makes every other game worse by re-writing everything that made them great, it retroactively made both Samus and Adam unlikable and un-relatable, which is a huge deal when so much of the game series relied on the player being able to see the world through the same lens as Samus, it violates almost every rule of visual and interactive storytelling under the sun, the plot isn't even internally consistent, tons of plot threads are brought up and go nowhere, character flaws are introduced but never expanded upon and never actually play a role in the story, the main character of the story plays only a passive role in its events, the game has extremely disturbing undertones about gender roles, the setting is boring and uninteresting, the story rehashes a game that didn't even happen yet in the continuity thus making everybody look like a moron when these events repeat themselves, the voice acting is terrible, the game relies on telling the player instead of showing them, sometimes narrating things that are currently happening onscreen, other times the narration completely contradicts what the visuals suggest, the game stops the player to engage in tedious pixel hunts, the combat is broken by mashing the d-pad, the game forces players to use a clunky control system that makes simple tasks more difficult than they have any business being, and the game's constant interruptions for long, wordy story telling directly clash with the gameplay style that Metroid pretty much founded and the story takes a dump on the original strong female video game protagonist in a pretentious attempt to prove that video games can be movies and that all the fans who were enjoying the series for over two decades were doing it wrong.

Is that reason valid enough? Other M might not've killed Metroid, but it sure shot it in the gut and left it out for the vultures to take care of. It completely an utterly fails on every level as a Metroid game and as a story.
kawaii!

User Info: Lupinus7

Lupinus7
3 years ago#18
knightoffire55 posted...
There hasn't been a new Metroid since.

It's only been 3 years. I would wait until at least the end of the year before worrying about the franchise being dead. We could still get a Metroid or Metroid Prime game for 3DS this year, just like how the DS got one early in its life.

User Info: WiiU95

WiiU95
3 years ago#19
No, Retro, or was it Miyamoto has hinted that there COULD be a new Metroid in developement. Besides, I consider Other M canon. Game had the best graphics in a Wii game so far, as well as amazing mechanics, which played like Super Metroid. Yes the story was bad, but that didn't stop me from looking up a playthrough on the game. I was more curious as to what happened in the story, not what it was about.

User Info: Skill4Reel

Skill4Reel
3 years ago#20
Nope. I'll bet a new Metroid is announced before F-Zero will.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Did Other M kill Metroid?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived