What happens when MK and Smash don't sell enough systems?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. What happens when MK and Smash don't sell enough systems?

User Info: Dark_Link92

Dark_Link92
2 years ago#1
I know they both will sell a few each, but not to Wii levels. Parents will think "I already have Mario Kart on my old Wii, I don't need to pay 300 for a new version of it" and bam! Casual sales gone, and it'll only be the hardcore Nintendo fans left to get one if they don't already. A price drop might help with that, but not by much.

So seriously. Say by the end of the year we're at 6-7 million Wii Us sold. What do they do? Scrap it, or pretend there's no problem? I just don't see what they can do to reinvigorate sales enough to make it a serious contender at this point.
3DS FC: 4382-3271-9747
Friend Safari: Growlithe, Slugma, and Braixen.

User Info: mrpants_again

mrpants_again
2 years ago#2
I think that the way Nitendo is stepping up it's advertising for MK8 that it can move a substantial amount of systems. The Penzoil campaign and the deluxe edition for UK (or whatever) are two examples.

As for SSB4, it's more aimed at the hardcore Nintendo/Smash fans which more than likely own the system already. That being said, I have several friends who plan to buy a Wii U just for Smash Bros, so there is at least 3 or 4 units sold for a single game. Lol
This Is What We Do! This is Who We Are!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YviYufXRw0g

User Info: Wii_Used

Wii_Used
2 years ago#3
$199 bundled with MK8 or SSB would see a nice little sales spike. My re-purchase included. lol
"It's like getting into a car and trying to go in the quarter mile 5 seconds. That's for me strange."

User Info: QlJGamer

QlJGamer
2 years ago#4
Even casuals like upgrading. Mario Kart Wii is old.... we need new.

I am the new casual Representative by the way
Quite Intelligent Judging

User Info: Dark_Link92

Dark_Link92
2 years ago#5
I bet Sakurai will be pissed when they hastily release a new console in 3 years time. All that work for nothing. They'll probably port a load of Wii U games to whatever they do next to give them a second chance at making their development money back.
3DS FC: 4382-3271-9747
Friend Safari: Growlithe, Slugma, and Braixen.

User Info: cruelbird

cruelbird
2 years ago#6
Dark_Link92 posted...
Parents will think "I already have Mario Kart on my old Wii, I don't need to pay 300 for a new version of it" and bam! Casual sales gone, and it'll only be the hardcore Nintendo fans left to get one if they don't already. .

Smash Bros was released in 2007 and MKW was released in 2008. That was 6-7 years ago. Kids who were 6 when MKW came out are 12 now. They're probably picking their own games out now (which is even more of a problem for Nintendo, arguably) so it's not fair to assume that their parents even remember buying the Wii MK/Smash Bros. games.
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/3695/sigbase.jpg

User Info: Lord_of_BeefDip

Lord_of_BeefDip
2 years ago#7
Dark_Link92 posted...
I bet Sakurai will be pissed when they hastily release a new console in 3 years time. All that work for nothing. They'll probably port a load of Wii U games to whatever they do next to give them a second chance at making their development money back.

I don't see a new console launching anytime before mid 2017, so try closer to 4 years. A fairly standard amount of time for Nintendo.
..."go put on your favorite lingerie and streak in your public library while yelling about how sexy you'd look as a dolphin." - Ghasts

User Info: AhnoldDood

AhnoldDood
2 years ago#8
Dark_Link92 posted...
Parents will think "I already have Mario Kart on my old Wii, I don't need to pay 300 for a new version of it" and bam! Casual sales gone

I bet you were the kind of twit who said the same thing towards MK7, MKW, and MKDS.

User Info: AhnoldDood

AhnoldDood
2 years ago#9
And "when"? OK, so TC's just high as hell right now.
Hiten Mitsurugi S 2 years ago#10
Kart will sell a lot of systems, but Smash is going to skyrocket the system far above the other two.
Smash 4 for Wii U!
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. What happens when MK and Smash don't sell enough systems?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived