MK8 Accused of Racism, Poor Sales Potential, and Ruining Battle Mode

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. MK8 Accused of Racism, Poor Sales Potential, and Ruining Battle Mode

User Info: Crash_wad

Crash_wad
3 years ago#471
LegendofLink17 posted...
As for the child, I consider 15+ young adults, and they should be capable enough to know that maintaining good grades and learning in the classroom will help them in the future. For four years in high school though, several failed to realize this, and that is not society's fault.

It's society's fault in that they fail to acknowledge a simple human condition - that some people mature quicker than others, thus some children will have an advantage over their peers, throughout their entire school life.

LegendofLink17 posted...
Well this goes a couple of ways then: Whether or not the parents have money, they should have the responsibility of knowing what they need to encourage their children to do. Otherwise, it is their fault.

What's their fault? Not every parents knows what their child will value as an adult.

User Info: Vyers

Vyers
3 years ago#472
Baha05 posted...
Vyers posted...
An article about Mario's lack of diversity doesn't have to cover any other subject. The article exists to discuss Mario Kart 8. There are articles about racism in other games as well.

And that simply makes it just about Mario Kart, which is stupid in itself when OTHER titles exist that are more offensive in nature.

This is another version of "go discuss something else." We shouldn't have to ignore the weaker examples of a lack of diversity because there are stronger subjects to discuss.
Couple o' YouTube channels. http://www.youtube.com/user/TheNegativeHippie http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear

User Info: Lord ZhouYu

Lord ZhouYu
3 years ago#473
DifferentialEquation posted...
I am so sick of all this inclusion/diversity bull**** spewed by tumblr social justice warriors.

This.

What do they expect be done? Is putting a black person in the Mario franchise just for the sake of having a black person less racist of a Japanese company than not having one at all or something? Should we rail on Africa and Nepal for not telling stories of white people?
James and Aidrianna Ruglia: Balmung

User Info: Welles

Welles
3 years ago#474
Lord ZhouYu posted...
I am so sick of all this inclusion/diversity bull**** spewed by tumblr social justice warriors.

This.

What do they expect be done? Is putting a black person in the Mario franchise just for the sake of having a black person less racist of a Japanese company than not having one at all or something? Should we rail on Africa and Nepal for not telling stories of white people?

Damn. Seriously?
She ran. And when she finally stopped ... it was, as if, she had collapsed into the sun.

User Info: Vyers

Vyers
3 years ago#475
Lord ZhouYu posted...

This.

Funny you should mention that. A true story in Africa wasn't able to be made by Danny Glover because he couldn't get funding unless he added made-up white characters to the story.

There's also Orange is the New Black, an otherwise great TV show that could only be made because they focused the story on a white protagonist. Otherwise, the cast is very diverse and awesome (even the white protagonist is great, just not the fact that there needed to be one).
Couple o' YouTube channels. http://www.youtube.com/user/TheNegativeHippie http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear

User Info: Baha05

Baha05
3 years ago#476
Vyers posted...
This is another version of "go discuss something else." We shouldn't have to ignore the weaker examples of a lack of diversity because there are stronger subjects to discuss.

No this is more stop trying to turn every little thing into a controversy. Because at this point focusing on the smaller "flaws" in diversity makes YOU and others look foolish. People had THREE decades to complain about it, I;m sorry but after 3 decades you lose the right to call foul when they only added in one new human character.
"DLC has always and still means all downloaded content, but of course Nintendo fanboys always did and will bend logic to suit their ignorance."

User Info: Koi_Tenchi

Koi_Tenchi
3 years ago#477
Vyers posted...
Tiredofhearingu posted...
Vyers posted...
When was Obama oppressed? He was pretty well-off growing up, if I recall.

What about the fact that 92% of political positions in the US are white men? "Obama is president" isn't a fact that ends racism. Without the black vote, Obama would not have been elected. It wasn't just the fact that Obama was black but also the fact that he wasn't Romney (in the last election). Obama was good at what he did. Just because horrible racists don't control the country does not change the fact that we are far from an equal society. Tell me when someone comes from poverty and enters the oval office.

Oh nice turn in the argument. Now it's not because of race but because of money. Well at least you almost have your head out of your *** :D

You're citing Obama as a show of oppression dying down in America. Obama serves as a distraction from the problem: black people can feel that things are getting better, and white people can dismiss complaints of racism because we have a black president. A middle-class child growing up into politics and becoming president doesn't mean that the problem with poverty and racism does not exist.
Wait, so having a black man as president apparently doesn't help racial equality in any significant way, but throwing a few black characters into Mario Kart 8 would?

Uh....
It's a secret to everybody.

User Info: Neo_Heartless

Neo_Heartless
3 years ago#478
Vyers posted...
Baha05 posted...
Vyers posted...
Except again, this is a general criticism of all media, with Nintendo as the focus today. Nintendo typically has a cast dominated by fair-skinned characters. Mario is merely the masthead of the problem.

Then people need to focus on where it's a true issue instead of going after Mario for the sake of going after Mario because of that utterly stupid Homosexual issue that was brought up last week.

Mario is a part of the issue. Let me bold this.

Mario is a part of the issue.

I don't know why you keep misreading my statement to mean that Mario is a scapegoat. Mario is aa part of the problem of companies using white as default for their characters. This is what we are discussing, and this is why Mario is important to the discussion.

Except he's not, because he exists in a completely fictional world with a grand total 6 possibly human characters. And I say possibly because normal humans don't jump 3 times their height. Plus all of Mario's characters are well established with the exception of Rosealina, who is an alien. You can't just shoehorn racial diversity into established universes. It's insulting to everyone.

No what we need is racial diversity in new games/IPS. But it has to be done right. Don't just throw them in for the sake of it, otherwise you just get the token black in the world of the white man, or a white man trapped in a black persons body.
[Wubeth Intensifies]

User Info: Vycoul

Vycoul
3 years ago#479
Vyers posted...
It's not racism, it's ignorance. Japanese developers need to make a point of globalizing their games with respect to racial diversity. Hell, I'd accept the inclusion of black Toads in the Mario series; at least it'd be acknowledgment.

...That really makes no sense at all.
Evil signature
http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/ - http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/randomitem.php?p=1

User Info: red eye dragoon

red eye dragoon
3 years ago#480
Why are black people allowed to call white people crackers and not get in trouble?
PSN & Nintendo ID: Kenshin5435
3DS FC: 5284-1505-0107
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. MK8 Accused of Racism, Poor Sales Potential, and Ruining Battle Mode

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived