so If I do a Wii - > WiiU date transfer...*confused*

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. so If I do a Wii - > WiiU date transfer...*confused*

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 years ago#21
megamachopop posted...
No game with Wi-Fi features can have their save file moved to an SD card without modding

It's already been addressed but I figure I'd quote it in case anyone missed it in the discussion: the transfer does do the saves since it erases them from the system and prevents copy back.

User Info: Metroid_Lover

Metroid_Lover
3 years ago#22
Ok was going to do the transfer but read about a problem with Lost Winds, you couldn’t transfer that game at all for some reason.

I then read that there was a patch to fix this, I just need to launch the game and download patch, and then Lost Winds can be transferred without any trouble.

BUT now I read something about having to pay a small fee $1 or so for each VC game I own that I want to put on my Wii U?!?!

Can someone help me understand this confusion?

I thought the transfer was free?
Naked Courier (Skyrim): "I've been looking for you. Got something I'm supposed to deliver. Your hands only..."

User Info: Nendreel

Nendreel
3 years ago#23
The transfer is free.
Some VC games can be upgraded to run in WiiU mode (you can then use the Gamepad and use restore points, etc.) This upgrade usually costs $1/$1.50.

If you don't want to upgrade then the games will run normally in Wii mode, using the various Wii remotes (no Gamepad)

User Info: Thunderbird8

Thunderbird8
3 years ago#24
Lost Winds was originally untransferable (being unavailable on the Wii Shop Channel on the Wii U), though I hear that has been rectified recently. I don't have it, so I can't comment.

Metroid_Lover
3 years ago#25
Ok, I'm in the process of doing the data transfer, but I ran into a small problem.

Not all my VC games are on my Wii currently, I had to move them to a 8GB SD card, so only a few were on my Wii to play since the Wii memory was getting full.

Since I can't copy all my VC games to my Wii before I do the transfer, will I still be able to transfer/play them on my WiiU unit?
Naked Courier (Skyrim): "I've been looking for you. Got something I'm supposed to deliver. Your hands only..."

User Info: megamachopop

megamachopop
3 years ago#26
Metroid_Lover posted...
Ok, I'm in the process of doing the data transfer, but I ran into a small problem.

Not all my VC games are on my Wii currently, I had to move them to a 8GB SD card, so only a few were on my Wii to play since the Wii memory was getting full.

Since I can't copy all my VC games to my Wii before I do the transfer, will I still be able to transfer/play them on my WiiU unit?

This has already been answered. Yes, because your Wii Shop account and licenses are transferred also. Like I said before, if you had stuff on your SD card(s) they'll need to be redownloaded after the transfer.

Metroid_Lover
3 years ago#27
@ megamachopop:
Ok, sorry I was a little worried, I'm watching the video of my stuff being transferred now, a Nintendo touch it is ;)

My 'points' I still have on my Wii will be transferred/converted into $ I'm guessing to be used in the eShop for my Wii/WiiU, that's good ;)

User Info: megamachopop

megamachopop
3 years ago#28
Metroid_Lover posted...
@ megamachopop:
Ok, sorry I was a little worried, I'm watching the video of my stuff being transferred now, a Nintendo touch it is ;)

My 'points' I still have on my Wii will be transferred/converted into $ I'm guessing to be used in the eShop for my Wii/WiiU, that's good ;)

Points for the Wii and Wii U are completely separate. If you had any left, they'll only be useable on the Wii Shop.

Metroid_Lover
3 years ago#29
Yep, my points transferred over.
A quick question on that, is the Wii shop channel just not getting any more updates/games now, but you can add points, and buy/download games on the WiiU in Wii mode?

Also...Finished!

I did get an error once during the transfer to the WiiU system from the SD card, about 30 seconds into it.

Something about couldn't connect to net, but it was.
I was REALLY worried, read a few horror stories about others having issues, but after hitting 'try again' all went with no other troubles ;)

VERY slow from SD card to WiiU, but VERY fast from Wii to SD card, o well, all is good ;)

Thank you everyone that helped me with my confusion and being patient with me;)

The directs I find how to do this don't really say this, but good info to anyone else.
- When you download the 'transfer data app/channel' both times, save to the Wii memory NOT SD card memory and then launch the app/channel first on the WiiU (in Wii mode) then on the Wii itself, then again on the WiiU in 'Wii mode'.

Hope this article/post helps someone else, and thanks to you all again!
*goes back to playing Chew Man Fu, love this game*
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. so If I do a Wii - > WiiU date transfer...*confused*

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived