I love Metroidvania but never played Castlevania...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. I love Metroidvania but never played Castlevania...

User Info: LOLIAmAnAlt

LOLIAmAnAlt
3 years ago#31
SotN is one of the best games ever made.
Start there.

Sure it's easy, but I don't care because it is pure joy though and though.
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

User Info: Covenant

Covenant
3 years ago#32
Definitely play:

Circle of the Moon
Aria of Sorrow
Dawn of Sorrow

Almost definitely play:

Symphony of the Night
Portrait of Ruin
Order of Ecclesia

Don't play:

Harmony of Dissonance
Any 3D Castlevania

The rest aren't Metroidvanias.

User Info: sonicsonic

sonicsonic
3 years ago#33
PennywiseJim posted...
Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow on DS are both really good.

These are the ones ! I recently bought the 3DS one... what a dumb-downed shambles it was....

The two I played on DS were superb. Nice difficulty, nice main game length and plenty to do after you beat the main game.
3DS FC:0688-5946-1084 Pokemon TSV-4026 IGN: Jack
NNID:SuperSegaSonic PSN:Sonicsuper1

User Info: SeikenZ

SeikenZ
3 years ago#34
My favorites are Castlevania 64 (first one I ever played) and Lament of Innocence on the PS2. Symphony of the Night is also good.

User Info: TruthsEdge

TruthsEdge
3 years ago#35
I started with the first Castlevania last night. I like the game so far but I'm really going to have to get use to the knock back when you take damage. That makes up 90% of the difficulty lol.

I appreciate Nintendo VC being as faithful as possible to the original but it has really bad sprite flicker. I kinda wished they would have fixed that.
Wii U ID: Aikoku-sha
3DS: 4656-6218-3929. PSN: xRadiant_Wolfx XBL: xRadiant Wolfx

User Info: guedesbrawl

guedesbrawl
3 years ago#36
really try to play symphony of the night first: the metroidvanias that followe dhad better mechanics in many places, sio you won't feel weirded out by playing Sotn
http://chromforsmash.tumblr.com/ http://chromforsmashbros.wordpress.com/
https://www.facebook.com/ChromForSuperSmashBros4/info Support Chrom for smash 4 DLC!

User Info: The_DOAM

The_DOAM
3 years ago#37
Stay away from the new ones and those not found on handhelds

Play the ones with the anime style of design first(GBA-DS) including the PS1 Symphony of the Night then move into the older NES-SNES games

Then after that ruin the series with the home console games also i do beleive their was a Castlenvania collection for the PsP.
Ignorance is Bliss...

User Info: SuigintouEV

SuigintouEV
3 years ago#38
TruthsEdge posted...
I started with the first Castlevania last night. I like the game so far but I'm really going to have to get use to the knock back when you take damage. That makes up 90% of the difficulty lol

The mainline/numbered castlevania games are more straightforward action-platformers rather than true "metroidvanias". I personally don't like them all that much, even though I love the metroidvanias. I also don't like actual metroid games all that much.
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II

User Info: ptreemf12

ptreemf12
3 years ago#39
Symphony of the Night and Order of Ecclesia are my favorites. OoE is great because it starts off more linear like older Castlevania titles, but then has a whole metroidvania castle at the second half of the game. It's also pretty difficult and the boss battles are awesome.
Every dang time...

User Info: LOLIAmAnAlt

LOLIAmAnAlt
3 years ago#40
ptreemf12 posted...
Symphony of the Night and Order of Ecclesia are my favorites. OoE is great because it starts off more linear like older Castlevania titles, but then has a whole metroidvania castle at the second half of the game. It's also pretty difficult and the boss battles are awesome.

OoE is my second favorite as well!

I borrowed it from a friend...and proceeded to beat it 4 or 5 times in a row before handing back
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. I love Metroidvania but never played Castlevania...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived