Would Metroid in the vein of breath of the wild work?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Would Metroid in the vein of breath of the wild work?
Questionmarktarius 4 months ago#21
DekuFireMage posted...
kidrobot posted...
nah
the prime series proved otherwise

That series was literally rooms and corridors.

With the corridors only really existing to hide load times.

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
4 months ago#22
Questionmarktarius posted...
DekuFireMage posted...
kidrobot posted...
nah
the prime series proved otherwise

That series was literally rooms and corridors.

With the corridors only really existing to hide load times.

They may have been used that way but they were also a part of the series long before load times were ever an issue.

I'd say it's more the Prime games use that in a clever way to mask loading rather than them existing solely for that reason.
Questionmarktarius 4 months ago#23
Voxwik posted...
They may have been used that way but they were also a part of the series long before load times were ever an issue.

Corridors in the first one were due to a scrolling limitation at the time, and they just kinda ran with it, I guess.

User Info: DekuFireMage

DekuFireMage
4 months ago#24
TomorrowDog posted...
I'm not a fan of open world, but there is really no reason it wouldn't work.

Too many Metroid purists just hate anything that deviates even a bit from the original formula.

Metroid's genre is in a large part defined by its map design and structure. Metroid in an open world would be more reminiscent of Halo themed Farcry than itself. I'll grant you that it could be made into a good game, it would just be a spinoff that doesn't feel much at all like Metroid.
Questionmarktarius 4 months ago#25
DekuFireMage posted...
Metroid's genre is in a large part defined by its map design and structure.

"Explore, find stuff, explore more" kinda falls apart when the "find stuff" part is meaningless, yes.
An open-world metroid would pretty much just be a very large N64-ish collectathon.

User Info: Rygon

Rygon
4 months ago#26
If people think "that's not Metroid", I wonder how they feel about BotW in general. It doesn't exactly hold tight to the series' blueprint and is better for it.
http://backloggery.com/war_lion108

User Info: Zero_Maniac

Zero_Maniac
4 months ago#27
Rygon posted...
If people think "that's not Metroid", I wonder how they feel about BotW in general. It doesn't exactly hold tight to the series' blueprint and is better for it.

It plays similar to the original Zelda game, and I don't think it's better for it.
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."

User Info: MrPerson01

MrPerson01
4 months ago#28
kidrobot posted...
DekuFireMage posted...
Nah, Metroid is a better when everything's confined to rooms and corridors

nah
the prime series proved otherwise, it was a right step even though everyone was hesitant
id be down for a more open sandbox metroid game

lol, no they weren't. Prime was literally the same as Super Metroid in terms of how free you were to travel. Prime 2 and Prime 3 were more linear.

And no, as cool as it would be, Metroid in an open world format would not work if you want to stay true to the Metroid formula.

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
4 months ago#29
This reminds me of Dark Souls and the abandonment of the intricately interconnected world after the first of the games bearing that name.

That game has the best 3D Metroid-like world layout I've seen.

User Info: Zero_Maniac

Zero_Maniac
4 months ago#30
Voxwik posted...
This reminds me of Dark Souls and the abandonment of the intricately interconnected world after the first of the games bearing that name.

That game has the best 3D Metroid-like world layout I've seen.

Yeah, but Dark Souls isn't exactly open world. There are bottomless pits, even in Firelink Shrine, and it's not like the entire world around you is freely accessible like it is in an open world game.
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Would Metroid in the vein of breath of the wild work?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived