Would Metroid in the vein of breath of the wild work?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Would Metroid in the vein of breath of the wild work?

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
4 months ago#31
True but it does "feel" more so than it actually is, to me at least. That it's an aspect it shares with Metroid.

I guess this topic is about fully open world though.

User Info: Zero_Maniac

Zero_Maniac
4 months ago#32
Voxwik posted...
True but it does "feel" more so than it actually is, to me at least. That it's an aspect it shares with Metroid.

I guess this topic is about fully open world though.

Breath of the Wild = fully open world as far as I know...
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."

User Info: kidrobot

kidrobot
4 months ago#33
it work if they kept it kinda like dark souls
each planet would be a huge open section connected by long "corridors" which would be like the gummy ship mini game in kingdom hearts
or obviously you can just fast travel(but you'd have to find the relay point or whatever first)
KPop

User Info: LordBowser

LordBowser
4 months ago#34
No idea, but I am leaning towards no since Metroid depends on the genre being... you know, Metroidvania. An open world game would not be Metroid. Unlike Zelda, Metroid has stuck very strictly to its origins, even in its 3D transition. I don't think it would work well. But hey, I could be wrong!
I am Lord Bowser, King of the Koopas! Bwahaha..
Playing Bowser on Mario Kart, and Noxus on Metroid Prime. I am not a cookie cutter!
Questionmarktarius 4 months ago#35
LordBowser posted...
No idea, but I am leaning towards no since Metroid depends on the genre being... you know, Metroidvania. An open world game would not be Metroid. Unlike Zelda, Metroid has stuck very strictly to its origins, even in its 3D transition. I don't think it would work well. But hey, I could be wrong!

Arkham City perfected the concept of "open world" metroidvania.
It's all downhill from there.

User Info: Snifberg

Snifberg
4 months ago#36
I wouldn't want another Metroid game that doesnt really feel like the other metroid games so not really.

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
4 months ago#37
MegaButterfree posted...
No, not everything should be open world. I don't think it'd work well for Metroid.

this
Zelda is great and possibly the very first open world game that is well designed and makes tons of fun.
Metroid has always been semi open world. Metroid lives off perfect level design.

Questionmarktarius posted...
Arkham City perfected the concept of "open world" metroidvania.

Arkham Asylum was way better than City.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.

User Info: MannyCav

MannyCav
4 months ago#38
DekuFireMage posted...
Metroid's genre is in a large part defined by its map design and structure. Metroid in an open world would be more reminiscent of Halo themed Farcry than itself. I'll grant you that it could be made into a good game, it would just be a spinoff that doesn't feel much at all like Metroid.

http://www.metroid-database.com/mp/reviews.php That reminds me of a really old, period review by someone called Asaic of the original Metroid Prime. The review could be summarized as he thought it was an excellent game, just not a good Metroid game. I don't agree with that. Super Metroid and Metroid Prime are tied for first as my favourite game(s) in the entire Metroid franchise. As great as Super Metroid is, Metroid Prime takes that formula and gives it a completely different presentation and perspective, yet manages to not mess anything up or ruin the organic formula that made Super Metroid so great. Playing Metroid Prime really is just like playing Super Metroid in 3D. About the only difference I can tell is that there aren't quite as many alternate pathways through the game compared to Super Metroid, but there are still quite a few (and in any case, modern speedrunners have busted SM wide open well beyond what's supposed to be possible in that game).

It's hard to stress the long wait back then between Metroid games, waiting all the way back from 1994 with no new entry up to 2001, then hearing that it was going to be outsourced to this new development company that was going to completely alter the gameplay. A lot of nervousness existed back then, yet this new company somehow managed to squash those expectations and exceed them. And now, it's been 16 years since then, more than twice that original period. How time flies.

If anything, I give that criticism to Star Fox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet. It gets a lot of flak for taking Star Fox/Fox McCloud on foot, but really, I find that it's a very enjoyable and good action/adventure game (probably helps that it ripped off the Orcarina of Time/Majora's Mask interface and movement mechanics). It's a good game, just not a good Star Fox game. The formula of that game, as least how Rare applied it, didn't work fully well with Star Fox. It would have been received better if it had been released as originally intended, as simply Dinosaur Planet. That would be an interesting game to play.

tl;dr: The idea of a new direction in Metroid presentation making a good game, but not a good Metroid game isn't new. It was alleged back in 2001, and could happen again if an open-world, BoTW-style Metroid game gets made. It could well be a great game (any faults with BoTW could be improved), even if not like any traditional Metroid game before it (e.g., Metroid Prime). Or it could be the next Other: M that takes it in a new direction, but botches it.
BoR Amendment X 12/15/1791-6/26/2015
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.--Grenier

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
4 months ago#39
MannyCav posted...
The review could be summarized as he thought it was an excellent game, just not a good Metroid game.

Metroid Prime 1, 2 and 3 are all excellent Metroid games.
BUT they are all not open world games.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.

User Info: MannyCav

MannyCav
4 months ago#40
jimi_dini posted...
MannyCav posted...
The review could be summarized as he thought it was an excellent game, just not a good Metroid game.

Metroid Prime 1, 2 and 3 are all excellent Metroid games.
BUT they are all not open world games.

Right, but the point I was making was that 2D to first-person-shooter was a big gameplay change that worried some Metroid fans back in the day (and led to reviews like the above). An open world Metroid change could be something similar, an otherwise-excellent game that isn't like traditional Metroid (assuming it doesn't do an Other M or even a BoTW as some allege and nosedive the series).
BoR Amendment X 12/15/1791-6/26/2015
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.--Grenier
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Would Metroid in the vein of breath of the wild work?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived