Would Metroid in the vein of breath of the wild work?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Would Metroid in the vein of breath of the wild work?

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
4 months ago#51
kidrobot posted...
just wait till they do
then all of the fanboys will think its the 2nd coming of jesus..

..well 3rd actually
fanboys thought botw was the 2nd

It takes more than 'fanboys' as you put it to propel a game to such success. BotW attracted a nephew of mine that hasn't played Zelda since Ocarina of Time.

User Info: lightningbugx

lightningbugx
4 months ago#52
It is sad how "open world" has been defined as "no blocked paths". The 2D Metroid games are open world. The other option is "level select".

So a Metroid game like Breath of the Wild? That can work as long as there are no Koroks. You are basically taking the concept of Samus's mission on SR388 and applying it to a 3D world. Explore the planet and eliminate all metroids. Some areas are not accessible without certain equipment or keys, but you couldn't access the divine beasts in BotW until you completed a quest, so what is the difference? You will die in Death Mountain if you didn't acquire the proper gear to traverse it.

The only difference between a 3D version of Metroid 2 and BotW is that you can't just skip the game and kill the last boss. The mission is to eliminate all metroids, so killing the Queen Metroid first would be meaning you still have to exterminate the 40+ other metroids before you can leave.
Ryzen 1800X, 16GB 3600 MHz CAS15 DDR4, 2x Radeon R9 390X, GA-AX370-Gaming K7
x86 is holding back PCs.
Questionmarktarius 4 months ago#53
lightningbugx posted...
The only difference between a 3D version of Metroid 2 and BotW is that you can't just skip the game and kill the last boss. The mission is to eliminate all metroids, so killing the Queen Metroid first would be meaning you still have to exterminate the 40+ other metroids before you can leave.

So... Ultima, then. Lots of things to do, but no real sequence to do them in.

User Info: kidrobot

kidrobot
4 months ago#54
Voxwik posted...
kidrobot posted...
just wait till they do
then all of the fanboys will think its the 2nd coming of jesus..

..well 3rd actually
fanboys thought botw was the 2nd

It takes more than 'fanboys' as you put it to propel a game to such success. BotW attracted a nephew of mine that hasn't played Zelda since Ocarina of Time.

okay? and?
so i've played(and beat) every zelda game except for the cdi games and links crossbow training
and i didn't like botw, still struggling to pull myself to finish it(since i did buy it at full price)
it was like an generic open world game with a few zelda elements sprinkled here and there
tbh i enjoyed hyrule warriors much more and that was a spinoff game

and to add- it carried the zelda name so it got free passes on basic things that couldve easily been fixed
just like with ff15, it was meh also
but since it has the name ff attached to it
it got away with some of the things it did wrong
KPop

User Info: chex81

chex81
4 months ago#55
As long as they kept the formula in place (areas locked by items you get down the road, areas with different themes with bosses, etc)...unlike Zelda that scrapped the items and dungeons
XBL: chex81 || NNID: phasma81

User Info: RahzarX

RahzarX
4 months ago#56
You mean Prime?
whythefat "DDR, I notice your karma is 567. That 5+6+7= 18. 18 plus your IQ is 19. There were 19 hijackers on 911. You are a terrorist."

User Info: kamikaze135

kamikaze135
4 months ago#57
It would work even better. I can imagine a open world set on an alien planet with a ton of research buildings, abandoned alien towns, and human settlements to explore. underground facilities to explore.
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden

User Info: gamebuyer22

gamebuyer22
4 months ago#58
No. An ugly,bloated, barren open world(BOTW) has no place in Metroid.

I wouldn't mind if MP4 had bigger more open areas though but nothing that would take away from the organic environments.
Questionmarktarius 4 months ago#59
gamebuyer22 posted...
I wouldn't mind if MP4 had bigger more open areas though but nothing that would take away from the organic environments.

What if the big open areas of Prime (Main Plaza, Phendrana Shorelines) were about eight times as large?

User Info: Canas_Renvall

Canas_Renvall
4 months ago#60
Voxwik posted...
This reminds me of Dark Souls and the abandonment of the intricately interconnected world after the first of the games bearing that name.

That game has the best 3D Metroid-like world layout I've seen.

While that may be true about the world itself, the individual levels in 3 are some of the best level design I've seen in a game in years. The world connectivity in DS1 is better, but that same connectivity in each individual level in 3 is astounding.
Play games, not companies.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Would Metroid in the vein of breath of the wild work?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived