Which Wii U games had the best/worst use of amiibo?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Which Wii U games had the best/worst use of amiibo?

User Info: Oliman

Oliman
3 months ago#1
Which Wii U game(s) had the best use of amiibo?

And which Wii U game(s) had the worst use of amiibo?
Owner of a 3DS, Vita, PS4, Wii U, and Xbox One
Longtime Kirby, Banjo Kazooie, and Zelda fan.

User Info: Chemazan

Chemazan
3 months ago#2
Best: Smash
Worst: Mario Party

User Info: LordBowser

LordBowser
3 months ago#3
Chemazan posted...
Best: Smash
Worst: Mario Party

I don't know of Mario Party was the worst, but it's up there.

Smash let you train fighters in interesting ways; the figures saved unique and special data and added soemthing to the game without feeling like something that was taken out of the game.

Mario Party locked an entire game mode behind amiibos and it wasn't that great; worst of all, the data being saved on said Amiibos wasn't even something that should have locked the mode or made the figures feel special.

There are a lot of games out there that just have you scan an amiibo for loot or light content, but at least they are just bonuses and don't lock a third of the game. Maybe Mario Party was the worst.
I am Lord Bowser, King of the Koopas! Bwahaha..
Playing Bowser on Mario Kart, and Noxus on Metroid Prime. I am not a cookie cutter!

User Info: StephenYap3

StephenYap3
3 months ago#4
Best: Super Smash Bros for Wii U and Mario Party 10
Both of these games had some of the best use of amiibo I've seen (though neither are perfect). I have an army of near Level 50 Smash Bros amiibos while amiibo Party is still a fun mode to play, despite requiring a Super Mario amiibo figure to use, but eh. Because of this, I refuse to take back my Smash Wii U and Mario Party 10, as well as its amiibos.

Worst: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
No contest. No excuses. No questions. Toad amiibo...hmm, it lets you play a tacked-on Hide n Seek mini game while the rest of the amiibos give you 1-ups. The latter would've been a nice feature to have if I didn't already have 99 lives (and there are ways to get your lives up to that number). So, what can I do with the amiibos when my lives are all maxed out? And no, the Hide n Seek minigame was only fun for a few runs before getting boring. In fact, this feature right here should've been implemented into the gameplay from the start and why it has to be its own separate mode makes no sense at all. Anybody who says Mario Party 10 has the worst amiibo usage have not seen Captain Toad's amiibo usage.

I would've said amiibo Festival is the worst, but at least that game's amiibo usage made sensible usage, despite not being good at all. I mean, you do get other costumes for your character to wear, but then that's Animal Crossing, so...
Still waiting for a good Mario Tennis and Paper Mario RPG, Camelot and Intelligent Systems

User Info: PokeLover1993

PokeLover1993
3 months ago#5
I haven't played every Wii U game, so I'm going with what I've experienced.

Best: Super Mario Maker
Getting certain costumes early from the amiibo was nice, it was such a pain going through the 100 Mario challange getting one random costume, because I'm trying to get the Waluigi costume for levels I wanted to make with it.

Throughout all the times I went through the 100 Mario challenge, I never got it. Thankfully, my Waluigi amiibo was compatible and I got his costume early.

Worst: Mario Party 10
Not only did they lock an entire mode behind amiibo, but they never updated the game with the Super Mario wave 2 series amiibo. smh
Waluigi is such a cutie! http://pokelover1993.deviantart.com
https://pokelover1993blog.tumblr.com

StephenYap3
3 months ago#6
StephenYap3 posted...
Best: Super Smash Bros for Wii U and Mario Party 10
Both of these games had some of the best use of amiibo I've seen (though neither are perfect). I have an army of near Level 50 Smash Bros amiibos while amiibo Party is still a fun mode to play, despite requiring a Super Mario amiibo figure to use, but eh. Because of this, I refuse to take back my Smash Wii U and Mario Party 10, as well as its amiibos.

No contest. No excuses. No questions. Toad amiibo...hmm, it lets you play a tacked-on Hide n Seek mini game while the rest of the amiibos give you 1-ups. The latter would've been a nice feature to have if I didn't already have 99 lives (and there are ways to get your lives up to that number). So, what can I do with the amiibos when my lives are all maxed out? And no, the Hide n Seek minigame was only fun for a few runs before getting boring. In fact, this feature right here should've been implemented into the gameplay from the start and why it has to be its own separate mode makes no sense at all. Anybody who says Mario Party 10 has the worst amiibo usage have not seen Captain Toad's amiibo usage.

I would've said amiibo Festival is the worst, but at least that game's amiibo usage made sensible usage, despite not being good at all. I mean, you do get other costumes for your character to wear, but then that's Animal Crossing, so...

Alright, maybe I'm overexaggerating a bit with Mario Party 10's amiibo support. Sure, you need the amiibo to unlock the mode to play and the new Mario amiibo figures aren't supported, but amiibo Party ended up being pretty good for me in the end. I've unlocked all board parts (yes, you can unlock them WITHOUT buying another amiibo) and gotten all the stands for my Toad amiibo.

Even if Mario Party 10's amiibo Party isn't good, it's still a lot better than scanning amiibo to play a tacked-on Hide n Seek game and earning 1-ups in a game that gives you a lot of opportunities to rake in extra lives without using amiibo.
Still waiting for a good Mario Tennis and Paper Mario RPG, Camelot and Intelligent Systems

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
3 months ago#7
StephenYap3 posted...

>I hate getting some additional content in a game
^ that's you

should've been implemented into the gameplay from the start

It was added months after the release in a tiny update.

What will I choose for worst?
Shovel Knight

Why?

Because coop is not some tiny additional something, but a major feature in the game. Such a thing should never EVER be locked behind an Amiibo.
Disclaimer: I actually own the Shovel Knight Amiibo.

Also see New-Nintendo and their Metroid Samus Returns rip-off.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.

StephenYap3
3 months ago#8
@jimi_dini posted...
StephenYap3 posted...

>I hate getting some additional content in a game
^ that's you

should've been implemented into the gameplay from the start

It was added months after the release in a tiny update.

I don't mind additional content as long as it's done right, with Shovel Knight and Super Bomberman R being prime examples of this. Those games' additional content extended the longetivity of replay value for me for those games, especially with the former, as it offered new modes and a couple new campaigns.

As great of a game Captain Toad is, the problem I have with its "additional content" is their execution. Yes, we do get a Hide n Seek minigame that can be played by scanning Toad, but seeing as how all you're doing in that mode is finding Pixel Toad on a wall in a normal level, why does this minigame have to be its own separate mode? It would benefit just as good if it was implemented into normal gameplay without any setbacks. In fact, Time Trial modes have more reasons to exist than that mode because usually, Time Trial modes emphasize on the player completing a challenge as fast as possible while utilizing some elements exclusove to the mode.

On top of all this, every non-Toad amiibo will grant you 1-2 extra lives. Now, I'm not against getting free extra lives in any game, but by the time that amiibo update landed, I already maxed out my lives from many methods possible, so amiibo only granting extra lives seemed pointless at that point, especially since Captain Toad already has enough ways for you to replenish your lives.

So, I don't know where you got this idea about me hating additional content in a game. Once again, I don't mind additional content as long as it's good content, and I liked Captain Toad.

What will I choose for worst?
Shovel Knight

Why?

Because coop is not some tiny additional something, but a major feature in the game. Such a thing should never EVER be locked behind an Amiibo.
Disclaimer: I actually own the Shovel Knight Amiibo.

Also see New-Nintendo and their Metroid Samus Returns rip-off.

Well, good news: Treasure Trove banished the need for amiibo, allowing you and friend to play Shovel Knight Co-op without the need for amiibo.

And I'll hand it to you about Samus Returns. I do have some of its amiibo for it already, but its amiibo content did raise my brow. At least Nintendo confirmed Hard Mode to be included without usage of amiibo.

User Info: YAMBAG84

YAMBAG84
3 months ago#9
Any amiibo that unlocks "real" game content, such as new worlds/levels, not skins and items, is worth it to me, but also a cheap scam, because it forces you to buy the Amiibo, such as Chibi-Robo for the 3DS.

Overall though, I would say most Amiibos are useless, they are just for collecting. I pre-ordered the whole first wave for Smash Bros. Wii U and was highly disappointed when I found out you couldn't use them in the main game.

I think the exclusive Donkey Kong and Bowser that came with Skylanders SuperChargers are worth it though.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Which Wii U games had the best/worst use of amiibo?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived