Playing Wii game on Wii U. Quick question

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Playing Wii game on Wii U. Quick question

User Info: ledbowman

ledbowman
4 months ago#1
Metroid Prime Trilogy. The image doesn't quite fill up the screen. There's a little black border that goes all the way around it. Is this normal? Thank you.
I wish we all waved

User Info: Wings_of_Pink

Wings_of_Pink
4 months ago#2
Hm... Likely something about the game's internal resolution, or the aspect ratio. Have you tried tinkering with the TV's upscaling settings? Some games will need to have the borders to look right (like PSX games on PS3, playing on my Sony TV), but I'm not at all familiar with, well, any Metroid game. Try different upscaling/stretch settings and see what works best. Otherwise, just, you know, play the hand you're dealt. At least you *get* video output. :-/

User Info: TendaShy

TendaShy
4 months ago#3
One very easy way to change it if your TV doesn't let you do it (mine lets you change from full pixel/full/-1), go into Wii U settings and look for the video size option. This is the one that says to look at the arrows and it tells you to make them fit in the screen; just change that one size bigger so that part of the arrows cut off and now Wii games should appear properly. You'll have to change this back if you want Wii U software to fill the screen properly, just remember that.
NNID: TendaShy
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/TendaShy

User Info: Citan22

Citan22
4 months ago#4
yes it's normal. i'm pretty sure i made this exact same topic when playing Silent Hill: Shattered Memories on my Wii U shortly after launch. and aside from the border, that game had some sort of noise/flickering on the very bottom of the image that wasn't really noticeable on the Wii or vWii because it would basically be cut off.

you'll also notice n64 VC games have a bigger border around them on Wii U than the original Wii/vWii mode.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/Citan22/games/owned
Gamertag/NNID: Bonepill

User Info: MithrilMonarch

MithrilMonarch
4 months ago#5
It's normal. Games on the Wii didn't quite fill the screen so that there was wiggle room for people who use older TVs that overscan by default.
Welcome to GameFAQs, where all posters post posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Playing Wii game on Wii U. Quick question

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived