Question about Wii U virtual console compared to Wii VC...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Question about Wii U virtual console compared to Wii VC...

User Info: paper_olimar

paper_olimar
2 months ago#1
I know some virtual console games look exponentially worse on Wii U's service, (GBA and N64 are sometimes much darker) but if I just simply go into the system's Wii mode and play the game from there instead, (providing I also own it on Wii's VC) will it still retain the better quality that Wii's VC had?

The Wii's vc emulation was much better than the U's, so I've heard.
Gamertag/PSN: PaperAmigo
N3DS FC: 1118-0227-2871

User Info: masticatingman

masticatingman
2 months ago#2
Don't really have a good answer to your question but Wii VC on an actual Wii is meant to be played on CRT tv's, not HD tv's like the Wii U VC is designed for.

Not sure what you're comparing GBA to since the Wii VC didn't have GBA games. At least on an HD tv, it's the easiest way to get a good picture from those games available on the VC without resorting to some pretty expensive modification cables. For a CRT tv, the best way in general is to use a GameBoy player on the GameCube with the rare component cables made by Nintendo. If you're really into that stuff, you should check out the 'My Life in Gaming' channel on YouTube, they're very objective and comprehensive.

Hard to get objective answers when comparing the Wii and Wii U VC since so many more people own games on the Wii VC but I'm guessing you're talking about how you hear about how the Wii U VC has more lag. I would at least point out that for actual speed running purposes and stuff like that for retro games, original software/hardware played on CRT TV's is almost always optimal. For casual playing purposes, both the Wii and Wii U VC are very adequate. If you're playing the Wii U VC on the actual gamepad alone (in other words, you're looking at the gamepad screen only, while using the gamepad as your controller), it's pretty good. I'd imagine that some lag from a TV would be from how the controller isn't actually physically plugged into the console (like on the Wii with the GameCube controller for example) thus delivering relatively 'instant' feedback.

Main selling point to me for Wii U VC are the save states, which the Wii VC lacks.
mostly retro

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
2 months ago#3
paper_olimar posted...
(GBA and N64 are sometimes much darker)

First of all there are no GBA games on Wii Virtual Console and the GBA actually was quite dark. So no idea with which those people compare it to.
Surely not with actual GBAs. I own a few GBA games and had no issues with them.

It also seems that Nintendo intentionally added an extra filter to make N64 games not that bright anymore (you can see that in for example Paper Mario 64, because the filter enables itself a few frames after the bright color graphics are shown). They may have done that to improve on seizure protection, in any case it's not some bug, but was done intentionally. People may not like it, but other people don't like seizures, so idk. No one knows the exact reason why it was done, but as I said it's definitely not some bug.

For me personally I can't really decide. I personally think the graphics on Wii Virtual Console for N64 games are way too bright. Would have liked an in between mode.

Anyway, when you buy a game on Wii Virtual Console on the Wii U, it should look literally like it looked on the Wii, probably even sharper because of HDMI and the Wii U's upscaler. And you can then upgrade the game for 1 or 2 bucks to the Wii U version (you will keep the Wii version on top) if you want to.

Mind you, N64 games on Wii Virtual Console did not have any quick save/quick load, so you can't quick save and return to that exact spot afterwards like on Wii U. And you also won't be able to actually play those titles with the Wii U gamepad. You will only be able to use the gamepad as a tiny screen. This has technical reasons btw. Nintendo sadly didn't think of putting a Wiimote Bluetooth chip inside the gamepad. Otherwise the gamepad could have emulated a Wiimote with a Classic Controller and thus gamepad gameplay in Wii compatibility mode would have been possible. Silly oversight.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.

User Info: paper_olimar

paper_olimar
2 months ago#4
Woops. Yeah, I know gba games arent on Wii VC. My bad.

But that's what I meant, jimi_dini. The games on Wii U's vc most certainly appear darker because of that filter. I'm personally not a fan of it, so I was just confirming that playing it on the original Wii mode's VC would keep it bright, despite the fact that I'm technically still playing it on a Wii U system.

Thanks for the feedback
Gamertag/PSN: PaperAmigo
N3DS FC: 1118-0227-2871
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Question about Wii U virtual console compared to Wii VC...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived