PAL Wii Mini on American HDTV

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. PAL Wii Mini on American HDTV

User Info: lethaltoconcret

lethaltoconcret
4 months ago#1
I just got back to the United States, and I'm trying to play my Pal Wii Mini on an American LG HDTV. I bought an American power cable, but when I hook up my RCA/composite cables to the TV, I get a black and white image after setting the TV Type to either 50Hz (576i) or 60Hz (480i).

I got Fosmon brand component cables from the American Amazon site and tried to use them in an attempt to solve the problem, but then I got no image at all, only sound. I don't know if they were defective or that wasn't the way to go in the first place.

This may not be exactly the right board, but I was hoping someone here would know something I don't. Any help is appreciated :) :)

User Info: crs1989

crs1989
4 months ago#2
Does your TV have hookups for component cables? Apparently if it does, this should work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ6iCs6R8nM

Perhaps the cables that you got were defective?

I'm not an expert on this, just trying to help.

User Info: BalloonBattle05

BalloonBattle05
4 months ago#3
I thought the Wii Mini only supports composite.

Why would you buy one though?
I wonder if several users here like to type with big meaty claws. If not, they don't defend dumb choices like Pokemon Transporter or Nintendo charging for OLMP.

User Info: Thunderbird8

Thunderbird8
4 months ago#4
The TV has to support a PAL signal in order for composite cables to provide a correct image. Even for 480i, the PAL standard has a different color format, so if you hook it up to a TV that doesn't support PAL, you'll only get a black and white image.

User Info: Eoin

Eoin
3 months ago#5
Thunderbird8 posted...
The TV has to support a PAL signal in order for composite cables to provide a correct image. Even for 480i, the PAL standard has a different color format, so if you hook it up to a TV that doesn't support PAL, you'll only get a black and white image.

This is the explanation.

From the description it seems clear that the TV supports both 50Hz and 60Hz, but it doesn't support PAL's colour encoding.

lethaltoconcret posted...
I got Fosmon brand component cables from the American Amazon site and tried to use them in an attempt to solve the problem, but then I got no image at all, only sound.

The Wii Mini doesn't support Component.

It doesn't support any kind of componentised colour output, including RGB through SCART, so there's no good cheap solution to your issue. The two options I can think of to get it working are:

- get a new TV. That's probably a bit of a drastic option just for a Wii Mini.
- buy a good PAL to NTSC converter. I'm not sure where you'd even start with these and I suspect that any cheap option would have problems (such as adding lag or impacting video quality).

While you could probably get it to work if you really tried, depending on how many PAL games you have, it might be simplest to buy an NTSC model of the Wii (I'm unsure how much effort it is to get PAL games working on an NTSC Wii). Another option might be to buy an old PAL Wii (not the Mini model) and use the Component cable with that.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. PAL Wii Mini on American HDTV

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived