what do you do if your gamepad breaks?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. what do you do if your gamepad breaks?

User Info: nehukog

nehukog
2 months ago#1
I'm worried that the Battery in my gamepad is slowly going bad. if it's not plugged into the charger and you don't play the wii u for a month the battery will be 100% dead when you turn it on next. Also in general the battery might last 2 hours if your lucky.

Another thing I am worried about is my neice likes to play the wii u now and I am worried she might break the screen on the pad at some point. I have taught her to be very careful with it, but kids are kids and an accident can happen.

Now that the wii u is no longer in production are we screwed if we need new gamepads? I thought Nintendo was going to sell them in stores at some point

User Info: masticatingman

masticatingman
2 months ago#2
I personally wouldn't let a kid play with it - saw a nephew's Wii U gamepad and it was in bad shape. Not the screen (which is supposed to be fairly strong) itself but the controller joysticks were ragged. You can order replacement parts for the gamepad if you look around online. As far as new gamepads in perfect shape, yeah, that's not happening unless you, of course, buy a totally new (or refurbished) Wii U. I guess you could buy second hand gamepads by themselves...but since it's needed to even use the other part of the console, I'm not sure how common that is.
I don't really like to dispute facts, just rearrange them as necessary. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

User Info: Littlefoot

Littlefoot
2 months ago#3
While Nintendo may have discontinued the Wii U, it would not suprise me if they still offer repairs for it.
Wii U kicks the PS4's and Xbox One's ass

User Info: Citan22

Citan22
2 months ago#4
well TC, i think a lot about this same thing and, imo, the battery is probably the least of our worries since i'm sure we'll be able to buy replacements - official, 3rd party, standard capacity, high capacity - at any point in the future. and even though the chinese knock-offs are super crappy now, once the Wii U is considered a classic console i bet some small online company catering to collectors and retro gamers will offer quality replacement gamepad/pro controller batteries and probably other parts/components as well.. which brings me to...

...ebay. almost any part that can break on the gamepad (screens, analog sticks, buttons, speakers, etc..) is available on ebay and other stores. information on how to take your gamepad apart and put it back together is also easily available. this is the route i'm going to take. i'm even thinking about maybe buying a badly broken gamepad and trying to fix it.. if it goes well i'll have a back up. and if nothing else, at least i'd get some practice before messing around with my own.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/Citan22/games/owned
Gamertag/NNID: Bonepill

User Info: BlairBear86

BlairBear86
1 month ago#5
I just sent my gamepad to Nintendo in to get fixed, the left joystick was broken, the screen was kinda messed up too and the gamepad was cracked where your supposed to scan amiibo's, and when I was on the phone with them setting up the repair, they said they would replace the gamepad with a new one if it couldn't be fixed, but it cost 120 to get fixed. I should receive it in the mail at the end of next week hopefully, according to my order, Nintendo has it and they should have it shipped out tomorrow hopefully, my card was already charged. I can keep you updated once I get my gamepad back TC, but Nintendo still repairs consoles as far as I'm concerned.

User Info: Citan22

Citan22
1 month ago#6
^ u'll definitely get a new one, considering the amount of things broken on it.

my launch day wii u's gamepad had a messed up right stick.. best i can describe it would be instead of traveling smoothly when rotating it at full tilt, instead it felt like a gamecube/n64 stick only with about three times as many angles/corners. for those that don't remember, those sticks were set in an octagonal enclosure rather than a circular one like most controllers. basically what im saying is it was bumpy as hell and felt like it was grinding against something. the left stick was perfectly smooth.

anyway, i sent it in a few days after launch and they sent me back a new one. funny part is, they ask you to include a note listing everything that is wrong with your item.. and then they return a sheet specifying how they addressed each problem. for mine it said: could not recreate issue. sending customer new gamepad. i'm thinking the guy was just too lazy to switch out a stick and at that point they probably had a warehouse full of extra gamepads.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/Citan22/games/owned
Gamertag/NNID: Bonepill

User Info: BlairBear86

BlairBear86
1 month ago#7
I received my gamepad in the mail Friday, pretty much looks and feels brand new again. I guess if I ever have to send my console in for repairs, I should purposely crack the shell so I can have the shell replaced making it look new again, since my console is starting to show heavy wear. I wonder if that would work?
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. what do you do if your gamepad breaks?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived