The only reason anybody liked Tropical Freeze is because it was Donkey Kong

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. The only reason anybody liked Tropical Freeze is because it was Donkey Kong

User Info: ROB45

ROB45
3 months ago#101
MannyCav posted...
jayj420 posted...
Synbios459 posted...
ROB45 posted...
Godstriker8 posted...
Pink_a_Dink posted...
Interesting. I didn't know Tropical Freeze was regarded so lowly. I thought it was a fantastic game. I don't replay very many games after 100%ing them but I finished it almost 3 times. It was definitely a huge step up compared to the first game.

It is considered to be one of best 2D platformers of the decade outside of this board.

Source?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1374879

neogaf opinions only represent neogaf

While true, he provided a source of equal authority to anything said against DKC:TF in this topic. They're both message boards, and his link provides what's needed in light of where the discussion is so far: People on a message board saying it's a bad DKC game and a bad platformer, and people on a message board saying it's a fantastic game.

The only choice of counteraction to the response to the given question ("Source?") is to counter with a good sampling of credible industry reviews in order to take armchair message board commentators (GameFAQs and NeoGAF--us and them) out of the equation.

Not sure how a single message board on a site like neogaf represents all of "outside this board", but okay. Whatever you think supports your point.

User Info: MannyCav

MannyCav
3 months ago#102
My statement was that, if nothing else, it's a message board similar to and equatable with GameFAQs. I see no conclusive statement or conclusion between everything other than opinions are sharply divided on DKC:TF, with many against it and many that think that criticism is unfounded. Though the fact that opinions are divided on it at all would draw comparison against other DK games which are rarely talked against.

Unless you're suggesting this turn into a chicken fight with each side trying to draw up topics from several different internet video game message boards, people looking for pro topics and people looking for con topics. It's the internet, so you're going to find discussions like that. If you deem NeoGAF insufficient, that's the next logical step: try to find more message boards with similar topics.

In the end, NeoGAF is no more or less credible than GameFAQs (us), and vice versa. The only other 'higher court' are professional reviews as opposed to, well, randoms like us talking back and forth on message boards. He was queried for sentiment "outside of this board" (notably not the careful rephrase "all of outside this board"), and provided something equal and counter to GameFAQs--opinions from somewhere outside of GameFAQs.
BoR Amendment X 12/15/1791-6/26/2015
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.--Grenier

User Info: jayj420

jayj420
3 months ago#103
MannyCav posted...
My statement was that, if nothing else, it's a message board similar to and equatable with GameFAQs. I see no conclusive statement or conclusion between everything other than opinions are sharply divided on DKC:TF, with many against it and many that think that criticism is unfounded. Though the fact that opinions are divided on it at all would draw comparison against other DK games which are rarely talked against.

Unless you're suggesting this turn into a chicken fight with each side trying to draw up topics from several different internet video game message boards, people looking for pro topics and people looking for con topics. It's the internet, so you're going to find discussions like that. If you deem NeoGAF insufficient, that's the next logical step: try to find more message boards with similar topics.

In the end, NeoGAF is no more or less credible than GameFAQs (us), and vice versa. The only other 'higher court' are professional reviews as opposed to, well, randoms like us talking back and forth on message boards. He was queried for sentiment "outside of this board" (notably not the careful rephrase "all of outside this board"), and provided something equal and counter to GameFAQs--opinions from somewhere outside of GameFAQs.

Dude neogaf is a hivemind and everyone knows it.
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

MannyCav
3 months ago#104
Plenty of trolls and poopy posting at GameFAQs, too. Modern console boards are full of them. They're both similar video game message boards. The people in that topic that was linked to looked no less sane than anything I've seen here.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.--Grenier

jayj420
3 months ago#105
MannyCav posted...
Plenty of trolls and poopy posting at GameFAQs, too. Modern console boards are full of them. They're both similar video game message boards. The people in that topic that was linked to looked no less sane than anything I've seen here.

Dude everyone on that site agrees with each other on everything, they would have been banned a long time ago if they didn't.
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

MannyCav
3 months ago#106
jayj420 posted...
Dude everyone on that site agrees with each other on everything, they would have been banned a long time ago if they didn't.

I get that, but that's also common on console boards on GameFAQs.

Go to any main console board here--older system, old system, current system--and opinions will almost always be favourable towards it. Someone comes in with a tirade or new topic against that console, and he'll invariably be ostracized and labeled a troll. And it's not so unusual: It's natural that an arena made for a particular system will attract fans of that system and skew views of it. Create a 'best-sytem-of-its-era' topic, and what's going to happen? The system that topic was posted in will almost always win, usually by a considerable margin.

I've also heard 'NintendoFAQs' and similar more than once from posters at GameFAQs.

And it's not as if that NeoGAF topic is unanimous approval for DKC:TF. There are a few posters that don't like it or even say they don't like DKC as a whole. I can't see that they were banned or whatever.

jayj420
3 months ago#107
MannyCav posted...
jayj420 posted...

I get that, but that's also common on console boards on GameFAQs.

Go to any main console board here--older system, old system, current system--and opinions will almost always be favourable towards it. Someone comes in with a tirade or new topic against that console, and he'll invariably be ostracized and labeled a troll. And it's not so unusual: It's natural that an arena made for a particular system will attract fans of that system and skew views of it. Create a 'best-sytem-of-its-era' topic, and what's going to happen? The system that topic was posted in will almost always win, usually by a considerable margin.

I've also heard 'NintendoFAQs' and similar more than once from posters at GameFAQs.

And it's not as if that NeoGAF topic is unanimous approval for DKC:TF. There are a few posters that don't like it or even say they don't like DKC as a whole. I can't see that they were banned or whatever.

Yeah message forums are a mess these days, it's all fanboys. Once in a while you can find some good users, but they aren't around most parts of the forums.

User Info: Bistro2

Bistro2
2 months ago#108
DKCTF is part of the recent Holy Trinity of 2D platformers, along with Rayman Legends and Shovel Knight.
My DeviantArt page: http://bistrochan.deviantart.com (Yeah, I know my name is really stupid. Also, I draw like a kid too...)
3DS FC: 4012 8713 6790

User Info: ROB45

ROB45
2 months ago#109
Bistro2 posted...
DKCTF is part of the recent Holy Trinity of 2D platformers, along with Rayman Legends and Shovel Knight.

They aren't really a trinity, only Rayman Legends of those is worthy of being regarded as great.

User Info: Bistro2

Bistro2
2 months ago#110
ROB45 posted...
Bistro2 posted...

They aren't really a trinity, only Rayman Legends of those is worthy of being regarded as great.

I guess you're a bit right, since IMO, DKCTF did have some bland boss fights, and Shovel Knight really doesn't hold up too much, since it's just a nostalgic throwback. Rayman Legends on the other hand, is just flawless. Well, for me at least.
My DeviantArt page: http://bistrochan.deviantart.com (Yeah, I know my name is really stupid. Also, I draw like a kid too...)
3DS FC: 4012 8713 6790
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. The only reason anybody liked Tropical Freeze is because it was Donkey Kong

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived