The only reason anybody liked Tropical Freeze is because it was Donkey Kong

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. The only reason anybody liked Tropical Freeze is because it was Donkey Kong

User Info: Herbette

Herbette
3 months ago#71
I didn't like the rare dk games on snes. It is a character i find boring and non charismatic.
But I found both dkr games by retro awesome.

Your theory is flawed. I liked Tropical freeze despite it was Donkey Kong.

User Info: jayj420

jayj420
3 months ago#72
Herbette posted...
I didn't like the rare dk games on snes. It is a character i find boring and non charismatic.

I guess you gotta have terrible opinions like this to enjoy Tropical Freeze.

Says everything, really.
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

User Info: SSjYagami

SSjYagami
3 months ago#73
jayj420 posted...
Herbette posted...

Says everything, really.

Pretty much.
Mods are pathetic SJWs who abuse their administrative abilities and couldn't muster a logical defense for their actions to save their lives. Worthless.

User Info: Herbette

Herbette
3 months ago#74
jayj420 posted...
Herbette posted...

Says everything, really.

My opinions are not relevant here. Your theory is proven wrong, period.

SSjYagami
3 months ago#75
Herbette posted...
jayj420 posted...
Herbette posted...

Says everything, really.

My opinions are not relevant here.

I agree.
Mods are pathetic SJWs who abuse their administrative abilities and couldn't muster a logical defense for their actions to save their lives. Worthless.

User Info: Nintenking

Nintenking
3 months ago#76
I liked Tropical Freeze because it was a good platformer most of the time. The two biggest issues I had with it was that controlling DK solo sucked- you have to have a partner with him to make controlling him fun - and that rocket barrel levels sucked. These are big problem points but nowhere near enough to ruin the game for me.It's a better game then DKC1 and roughly on par with DKC3, though it can't touch the masterpiece that is DKC2. At least it didn't have the poorly implemented motion controls. Shaking the Wiimote is not automatically fun, and DKC:R's rolling is not an example of when it is. The Galaxy were far better at using the feature.
Nintenking sits down and starts singing about Karma.

User Info: macknifficent89

macknifficent89
3 months ago#77
thread is cancer.

User Info: jayj420

jayj420
3 months ago#78
macknifficent89 posted...
thread is cancer.

No, you!
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

SSjYagami
3 months ago#79
DKC trilogy (2 > 1 > 3) > DKL (2 > 3 > 1) trilogy > DK64 > Retro duology (R > TF).

/thread

User Info: MannyCav

MannyCav
3 months ago#80
SSjYagami posted...
DKL (2 > 3 > 1) trilogy

DKL1 is actually my favourite of the Game Boy trilogy. Common elements between the games aside--the digitized sprites actually manage to transition well to the Game Boy's limited 4-colour palette--it sets itself apart from the rest of the other five games by making itself a unique game with unique levels and enemies. It's not anything like the other games other than the basic platformer concept with barrels, etc. I'm also quite a fan of the level design. I particularly like the last construction world. Even the water levels are memorable. It actually has some of the largest stages in the six-game series, despite being on the GameBoy.

DKL2 is my second favourite. There's nothing unique about it to set itself apart from the rest, however what it actually is is a straight-up port of DKC 2 to the Game Boy. It's actually a pretty good one at that, working around the Game Boy limits quite well to come up with something that fits within the platform. There are a few minor things wrong, like a boss getting jettisoned (understandable) and some really odd music choices where incorrect music was used in certain stages that made no sense (not so much understandable), but all and all a pretty good game, and a good GB port of a great SNES game..

DKL3 is by far my least favourite of the three. It's neither a competent port of its SNES counterpart like DKL2 is, nor does it bear the originality of DKL1. Level design didn't do anything to get me involved in the game, and the time trial mode is so silly where, for putting all that time in, all you get is a brief screen giving you a trophy graphic, then back to the game. You can't even trigger the trophy again, if I remember correctly. Very bad implementation of "A Winner is You".

Of the SNES games, I think DKC3 is underrated and gets a little more flack than it deserves. All three of the DKC games offer a unique experience, DKC3 moreso (DKC is the closest of the 3 to a classic SMB experience and is fairly close to it at that, while DKC 2 expands on the formula with a larger scope of world and more complicated level design and other level features). It forged its own path and took the basic DKC platformer formula into a larger world and area with overworlds and other quests to do without taking the fetch quest idea to anything remotely close to DK64 areas of madness. It's tastefully done, and adds to the overall, immersive experience (at least to me). It did something new with DKC, and was the better off for it than if it had tried to be DKC2 2, or a DKC1 1.5. I doubt I'd like it as much if it just tried to be DKC2 all over again. Each DKC tried something different, which is what makes that series so great (along with doing those things very well, of course). I also like the more advanced level design. Its levels tend to be harder than anything else in the DKC series, but I like a good challenge. I'd go 2>3>1, though it's a very close separation for me, closer than the GB series. I'd put DK64 in front of DKL3 but maybe behind DKL2.
BoR Amendment X 12/15/1791-6/26/2015
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.--Grenier
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. The only reason anybody liked Tropical Freeze is because it was Donkey Kong

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived