anyone crunch the cost of all the games on snes class vs wii u vc? which wins?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. anyone crunch the cost of all the games on snes class vs wii u vc? which wins?

User Info: darkphoenix181

darkphoenix181
3 months ago#1
is it cheaper to buy all the games on the wii u vc?

is there any you cannot buy?

ff6 is only on wii vc right? but you can still buy those right?
sigless user is me or am I?

User Info: dr_zomberg

dr_zomberg
3 months ago#2
star fox 2.
3d erotica maker, videogame collector, phd in zombie lore. Also a girl
do not mention me, otherwise its grounds for modding for harassment, and put on ignored.

User Info: Littlefoot

Littlefoot
3 months ago#3
Well, if we go from the price on an SNES game on the eShop, 21 of them would cost you 168$.

The SNES Classic by comparision retails for 80$, which means it's a slight +50% price difference.

That being said, the Wii U eShop does not contain some of the games featured on the SNES Classic so the actual price difference would be slightly smaller.
Wii U kicks the PS4's and Xbox One's ass

User Info: darkphoenix181

darkphoenix181
3 months ago#4
Littlefoot posted...
Well, if we go from the price on an SNES game on the eShop, 21 of them would cost you 168$.

The SNES Classic by comparision retails for 80$, which means it's a slight +50% price difference.

That being said, the Wii U eShop does not contain some of the games featured on the SNES Classic so the actual price difference would be slightly smaller.

so basically if you actually wanted all the games the snes classic is a big deal

:(
sigless user is me or am I?

User Info: TendaShy

TendaShy
3 months ago#5
The real problem, IMO, with any Virtual Console purchase is that Nintendo doesn't let you separate that out and make it independent of which console you play on. You should be able to purchase VC games and then load them up on any device with a NNID from now on, otherwise something like the SNES Classic is much better since you not only get a better presentation (box art nicely arranged, save states, all that in a nostalgic presentation) but you also have a device that is dedicated to letting you enjoy your SNES library and nothing else. With a Wii U, there's loading up the main menu, probably getting out your gamepad or wii remote (hope your battery is charged with whatever you use), etc.

A good virtual console setup lets you cut the clutter and focus on a nostalgia based dream arcade at your fingertips. If they could get something like that and make it platform agnostic, that would be wonderful.
NNID: TendaShy
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/TendaShy

User Info: rstewart00

rstewart00
3 months ago#6
TendaShy posted...
The real problem, IMO, with any Virtual Console purchase is that Nintendo doesn't let you separate that out and make it independent of which console you play on. You should be able to purchase VC games and then load them up on any device with a NNID from now on, otherwise something like the SNES Classic is much better since you not only get a better presentation (box art nicely arranged, save states, all that in a nostalgic presentation) but you also have a device that is dedicated to letting you enjoy your SNES library and nothing else. With a Wii U, there's loading up the main menu, probably getting out your gamepad or wii remote (hope your battery is charged with whatever you use), etc.

A good virtual console setup lets you cut the clutter and focus on a nostalgia based dream arcade at your fingertips. If they could get something like that and make it platform agnostic, that would be wonderful.

i agree that has pissed me off for so long how stubborn they are when the other companies let u carry over to some extent, i am an ambassador for the 3ds and i cant even buy those games for a $1 on the wii u vc since they wont recognized ambassadors purchases, well even though earlier this year nintendo did say that starting from the switch, games purchased with an nnid on the wii u and 3ds will come under one account and be recognized but i doubt they will even bother with that unless they need to push more switches

User Info: masticatingman

masticatingman
3 months ago#7
Even if the SNES classic retails for $80, a lot of scalpers will have success scalping it for AT LEAST a hundred bucks more than that, so I'm not sure why nobody has brought that up on this thread yet. Here's a quote from a Polygon article on it: "The system officially sells for $79.99, but it’s likely there will be shortages and the hardware will sell for much more than retail price on the secondary market. Nintendo has ways to stop this, but it’s unlikely the company is interested enough to do so."

https://www.polygon.com/guides/2017/8/17/16144818/snes-classic-games-price-pre-order-faq-list-lineup-controller-specs-hdmi-hack

The benefit of buying the games on the virtual console instead of trying to buy the SNES classic is that you can do it right now just with some e-shop cards and you can use the cordless pro controller. Looks like the Classic SNES controllers are connected with cords, like with the classic NES thing.

Big advantage of the classic SNES is that it has Star Fox 1 and of course Star Fox 2.

I'd say the VC is a better option, for simplicity and because the money will probably be the same if you end up buying from a scalper. It also has legendary games like Mega Man X2 and X3, or DKC 2 and 3, which obviously aren't on the SNES classic.

You could just get the SNES classic and get other titles on your VC, there's not really a definitive 'better' answer.
I don't really like to dispute facts, just rearrange them as necessary. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

User Info: jayj420

jayj420
3 months ago#8
I have Star Fox 1 and 2 on my original SNES (ordered special Star Fox 2 SNES cartridge off ebay a long time ago). If I didn't already have that I would probably be really interested in the SNES classic.
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

User Info: Waluigi_FOREVER

Waluigi_FOREVER
3 months ago#9
It's cool like the NES classic. I think it's more worth it to get the classic honestly. I won't be getting this like the NES classic too. I already have nearly all the games on it i want on SNES carts and repos exist for star fox 2.
3ds FC: 3196-3191-7257 and In game name is Ass-Hat
KB BR pokemon for trade http://preview.tinyurl.com/nkdnytd

User Info: GC_Destiny

GC_Destiny
3 months ago#10
masticatingman posted...
Even if the SNES classic retails for $80, a lot of scalpers will have success scalping it for AT LEAST a hundred bucks more than that, so I'm not sure why nobody has brought that up on this thread yet. Here's a quote from a Polygon article on it: "The system officially sells for $79.99, but it’s likely there will be shortages and the hardware will sell for much more than retail price on the secondary market. Nintendo has ways to stop this, but it’s unlikely the company is interested enough to do so."

The going rate for a pre-ordered SNES classic on eBay is about $210+, so I would say the Wii U Virtual Console is a better deal monetarily. This will only change if Nintendo produces more SNES Classics, which sounds unlikely.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=snes%20classic&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Of course, it does not get you Star Fox 2, but like you said, you can play the games now. Not only that, you can choose to spend <$80 by only purchasing the games you want. I doubt many people will actually want all 21 games on the SNES Classic.
SMM Level: C5C2-0000-0080-7CDD (One cautious hop at a time);
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. anyone crunch the cost of all the games on snes class vs wii u vc? which wins?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived