The Wii U was the Dreamcast of its time

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. The Wii U was the Dreamcast of its time

User Info: ERfollower

ERfollower
1 month ago#1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5xqiapi_oY

The business man is talking about the Wii U before the Wii would like to play guys come and knock back the missile launched at Nintendo HQ by Sony by using their Wiimotes.

User Info: young_flip

young_flip
1 month ago#2
the DC library was at least twice as big. it is a unique system in gaming history.
playing:
add me on steam: prejt2. "Oh my goodness. Freedom!"

User Info: masticatingman

masticatingman
1 month ago#3
If the Wii didn't have its own virtual console, the Wii U would probably have as much respect as the Dreamcast. Since this isn't true though, it's all relative.
I don't really like to dispute facts, just rearrange them as necessary. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

User Info: SpacePirateKhan

SpacePirateKhan
1 month ago#4
Wasn't the Dreamcast the first console to do online gaming?
Can't remember Wii U doing anything noteworthy, besides a handful of 5 player games so you won't have an odd man out when you have 4 friends over. Its best games are getting ported to other consoles though, so they have that in common.
"The best things in life must be taken... by force!"

User Info: Citan22

Citan22
1 month ago#5
can't say how accurate of a comparison that is, all i know is the Wii U will certainly be more valuable than the Dreamcast. two years ago i was able to buy a mint Dreamcast console with not one, not two, but three official controllers, three official VMU's and a rumble unit for the staggering sum of... $21 dollars.

there is no way in hell anyone will be able to buy a functioning Wii U 15 years from now for anywhere near the equivalent of $20. and if the console itself is somehow $20, the gamepad will be $120+.. still, i guess ~$150 for what will end up being one of Nintendo's rarer home consoles in complete and working order won't be that bad. and as with almost all Nintendo stuff, people's opinion of the Wii U will only improve as the years go on.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/Citan22/games/owned
Gamertag/NNID: Bonepill

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
1 month ago#6
Yeah, I like the Wii-U (the exclusive games that is, the gamepad, the account system and interface etc. not so much), but it's not even CLOSE to the Dreamcast in terms of impact, hardware power for the time etc.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: Skill4Reel

Skill4Reel
1 month ago#7
I don't remember games that I was looking forward to playing on the Dreamcast having their production stopped or cancelled before and after the console was released like what happened with many titles on the Wii U. I got way more of the kinds of games that I wanted on Dreamcast than i did on Wi U. Even Shenmue 2 that wasn't released in the United States of America. I was still able to get the import because at least it was released in two other regions.

The comparison just isn't accurate for me as I was never as disappointed with the lack of support for the Dreamcast as I was with the Wii U, and the Dreamcast was on store shelves for less time.

User Info: dr_zomberg

dr_zomberg
1 month ago#8
SpacePirateKhan posted...
Wasn't the Dreamcast the first console to do online gaming?
Can't remember Wii U doing anything noteworthy, besides a handful of 5 player games so you won't have an odd man out when you have 4 friends over. Its best games are getting ported to other consoles though, so they have that in common.

no, there were other platforms before the dc. i wont google which was the first but for a fact i can tell you the 64 did it before the dc, there were a handful of online multiplayer games for n64 like shogi 64 (actual name escapes me) which had the dial-up entry atop the cart (i assume online games had to be made like this, since there was no modem for the 64).

anyway, i dont think the WU is the dreamcast. more like the saturn. underrated system, with several flaws, a select few titles that are top of the line, and was killed off immediately after the launch of the new system. even the wii got support from nintendo after the wu launched.
3d erotica maker, videogame collector, phd in zombie lore. Also a girl
do not mention me, otherwise its grounds for modding for harassment, and put on ignored.
(message deleted)

User Info: gamebuyer22

gamebuyer22
1 month ago#10
When the Dreamcast came out it was a huge leap over PS1 and N64. Arcade perfect 3D ports weren't common on home consoles at that time. Unless you owned a Neo Geo or Sega Saturn even arcade perfect 2D ports weren't common until Dreamcast. The launch had Sonic Adventure(hasn't aged well but still), Blitz, NFL2k, House of the Dead, Soul Calibur and some others. Online play out of the box was a big deal as well. Only lasted a couple years but had lots of original Sega games. Arcade perfect Capcom, Midway games. Hidden gems.

Wii U released and was outdated from the start with a gimmick no one cared about. Not much better than the 6 and 7 year old 360 and PS3. To be compared with the Dreamcast implies that the Wii U had an actual library worth owning. A handful of worthwhile(but not even the best in their series) games is not a library.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. The Wii U was the Dreamcast of its time

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived