The Wii U was the Dreamcast of its time

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. The Wii U was the Dreamcast of its time

User Info: SSjYagami

SSjYagami
3 months ago#41
kranix1 posted...
If you honestly believe this, you don't understand Dreamcast, or it's significance in the gaming world.

Wii U is the Wii U of its' time.
Mods are pathetic SJWs who abuse their administrative abilities and couldn't muster a logical defense for their actions to save their lives. Worthless.

User Info: Mr_Big_Boss

Mr_Big_Boss
3 months ago#42
Dreamcast.

Wii U.

They don't belong in the same sentence. Dreamcast had a great launch and had great games during its 2 year life. They pushed the industry forward with online play and innovative games. Wii U had a floppy launch with terrible games. It was lagging behind the industry and did nothing innovative. It was just a big gimmick leeching off the success of the Wii.
the end of one nightmare, prelude to the another...
Shenmue III

User Info: CaptainWario

CaptainWario
3 months ago#43
I was around and got a dreamcast at launch, and it was a similar story than the wii u with games around launch followed by a dry spell and then nothing it died, at least wii u lasted longer! Now people are giving praise to the dreamcast, lol wish you guys did that when it was around and kicking like i did and there werent many of us then. You guys make me laugh considering most of you were playing ps1/ps2 instead.

User Info: SplatterHouse55

SplatterHouse55
3 months ago#44
I think it was more like the Sega Saturn of its time. Both were underpowered, overpriced, and very unpopular in comparison to their competition. Both had a handful of very good games that released AFTER very depressing first years on the market, which practically murdered their sales potential.

Both couldn't take any advantage of an earlier launch, and both failed to release compelling enough software early on. Both had a perception of industry laughingstocks that routinely missed out on highly anticipated 3rd party games, and leaned heavily on good 2D/2.5D games to get them thru. Both were difficult for 3rd parties to port games to.

Both systems released after successful systems (Wii, Genesis), and were followed by systems that had very strong first years on the market (Switch, Dreamcast).

I think that exclusive WiiU software is eventually going to go thru the roof, just like exclusive Saturn software has. Nintendo in general is highly collectible, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if its most unpopular (therefore rarest) home console gets a ton of under-appreciated love in the future. Kinda like the Saturn, but Nintendo is obviously the bigger fish here.
Ever since I started working, every day has been worse than the last, so every time you see me it's the worst day of my life. - Office Space

User Info: cris1ussen

cris1ussen
3 months ago#45
Being honest I find the Wii U to be like the N64 in some similars aspects:

-No very popular unlike it predecessor
-An annoy gamepad*
-Few games which the first-party are mostly the good ones
-No very powerfull compared with their competitors
-Not very supported by third-parties

*(I think I have to explain it): alright I don't have a problem with the gamepad but my only concern is that the gamepad is mandatory in some games, it would have been nice if the Pro controller was supported more in some games

I don't know what consoles can be compared with the Dreamcast, that console was quite unique by that time, only one that I can think is probably the Xbox (the first one or original, not sure how called it since Microsoft mess up with the name really bad)
AC:NL Dream code (updated version): 4F00-000F-4F10
Everyone are welcome!

User Info: dr_zomberg

dr_zomberg
3 months ago#46
not even remotely similar to the n64 dude.
the 64 was far more powerful than the saturn and psx combined. the only difference is that the 64 used carts, which had a massively inferior capacity.
had the 64 used discs, you bet your ass there wouldnt be a playstation today.
3d erotica maker, videogame collector, phd in zombie lore. Also a girl
do not mention me, otherwise its grounds for modding for harassment, and put on ignored.

User Info: Deniii3000

Deniii3000
3 months ago#47
dr_zomberg posted...
not even remotely similar to the n64 dude.
the 64 was far more powerful than the saturn and psx combined. the only difference is that the 64 used carts, which had a massively inferior capacity.
had the 64 used discs, you bet your ass there wouldnt be a playstation today.

I'm not entirely sure about that. Remember that Nintendo was against violent games, and "erotic content" (Like Fear Effect 2 had) were a no-no as well. Sony and Sega allowed that.

Back then, "Nintendo children" (that is, people that were children during the 8/16 bit era) weren't children anymore but Nintendo didn't... "grow" with them. They kept being a "child friendly" company.
Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad thing per-se. It's nice to have a system out there that parents can trust so their children won't be exposed to games like GTA but, at the same time, you lose a big part of your audience.

User Info: dr_zomberg

dr_zomberg
3 months ago#48
those games would probably end on the saturn, as the playstation was quickly discontinued.
3d erotica maker, videogame collector, phd in zombie lore. Also a girl
do not mention me, otherwise its grounds for modding for harassment, and put on ignored.

User Info: macknifficent89

macknifficent89
3 months ago#49
no. the dreamcast was actually a great console. the wii u failed because it was a bad idea with a dearth of games.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 months ago#50
cris1ussen posted...
Being honest I find the Wii U to be like the N64 in some similars aspects:

-No very popular unlike it predecessor
-An annoy gamepad*
-Few games which the first-party are mostly the good ones
-No very powerfull compared with their competitors
-Not very supported by third-parties

Yeah, you're pretty much wrong on all accounts - were you even alive/gaming when the N64 was released? It was hugely popular, and was the "must have" Christmas gift when it was released, and played host to more than a few lauded/revolutionary games like Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of time. It was also (texture cache issues aside) by far the most powerful console of the three. As far as third-parties, it saw steady support with more than a few exclusive games, though because of the expensive cartridge format its library wasn't nearly as large as the PS1, but it still had a healthy library of titles.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. The Wii U was the Dreamcast of its time

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived