Do you agree with the statement that the Wii U is the modern Dreamcast?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Do you agree with the statement that the Wii U is the modern Dreamcast?

User Info: SSjYagami

SSjYagami
3 weeks ago#31
dr_zomberg posted...
JKatarn posted...
I feel confident that 9/10 people would say the Dreamcast had the superior library all around.

likewise, i feel confident half the people you ask will not have owned a dc, or still owns one.

The latter is irrelevant, I don't own my NES anymore but I can still tell you SMB3 is the greatest 2D Mario game of all time. The former is contrarian conjecture.
Mods are pathetic SJWs who abuse their administrative abilities and couldn't muster a logical defense for their actions to save their lives. Worthless.

User Info: dr_zomberg

dr_zomberg
3 weeks ago#32
SSjYagami posted...
dr_zomberg posted...
JKatarn posted...
I feel confident that 9/10 people would say the Dreamcast had the superior library all around.

likewise, i feel confident half the people you ask will not have owned a dc, or still owns one.

The latter is irrelevant, I don't own my NES anymore but I can still tell you SMB3 is the greatest 2D Mario game of all time. The former is contrarian conjecture.

the point is they are going to rely on nostalgia to answer you. because more than likely they only had a handful of games, and the good ones. or the "good" ones, which, with nostalgia, they look back at fondly, but if they play them today they would hate them.

unlike me who im currently at 102 and counting, i had more s*** games than good games (and i have most of the heavy hitters like shenmue, crazy taxi and soul calibur).

WARNING: STORYTIME INCOMING.

back then, i was a nintendo fangirl, refusing to get anything that wasnt nintendo. but a friend and neighbor was a sega fanboy, and we would constantly play each others games. when he came home with dreamcast we spent the night beating sonic adventure. over time he bought a lot of games, including soul fighter. but he eventually sold everything and moved for 10 years to another country. when he came back i brought up our DC adventures and when he talked about how much he missed soul fighter, i informed him i had it. and he played it at my house and realized how s***ty the game really is.

then we spent the rest of the night beating SA again, and beating each other in both marvel vs capcom games. (look at my games collection to see what DC games i own)
3d erotica maker, videogame collector, phd in zombie lore. Also a girl
do not mention me, otherwise its grounds for modding for harassment, and put on ignored.

User Info: IIINCORRUPTIBLE

IIINCORRUPTIBLE
3 weeks ago#33
Maybe, but the Dreamcast was one of my favorite consoles...

SSjYagami
3 weeks ago#34
dr_zomberg posted...
SSjYagami posted...
dr_zomberg posted...
JKatarn posted...

the point is they are going to rely on nostalgia to answer you. because more than likely they only had a handful of games, and the good ones. or the "good" ones, which, with nostalgia, they look back at fondly, but if they play them today they would hate them.

unlike me who im currently at 102 and counting, i had more s*** games than good games (and i have most of the heavy hitters like shenmue, crazy taxi and soul calibur).

WARNING: STORYTIME INCOMING.

back then, i was a nintendo fangirl, refusing to get anything that wasnt nintendo. but a friend and neighbor was a sega fanboy, and we would constantly play each others games. when he came home with dreamcast we spent the night beating sonic adventure. over time he bought a lot of games, including soul fighter. but he eventually sold everything and moved for 10 years to another country. when he came back i brought up our DC adventures and when he talked about how much he missed soul fighter, i informed him i had it. and he played it at my house and realized how s***ty the game really is.

then we spent the rest of the night beating SA again, and beating each other in both marvel vs capcom games. (look at my games collection to see what DC games i own)

You're overestimating the power and prevalence of nostalgia. You can look at reviews for all the games people say are good and most were generally well received at the time. You could make a different case, that they aged poorly, and I would agree that some did. Sega games do not hold up as well over time as Nintendo games, I find. However, Dreamcast is still new enough that they aren't terribly outdated yet so I would still argue against even that.
Mods are pathetic SJWs who abuse their administrative abilities and couldn't muster a logical defense for their actions to save their lives. Worthless.

User Info: Vegeta1000

Vegeta1000
3 weeks ago#35
That's actually disrespectful to compare that failure of a Wii U console to the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast was way ahead of its time. It was far stronger than its competition at the time, had breathtaking graphics for its time, a great variety of games, the innovative VMU, excellent marketing, jumpstarted online gaming for consoles, featured DLC, a dashboard, voice control, and had great 1st and 3rd party support (sans EA). The Wii U was a console that had outdated hardware, missing features that both current and last gen consoles had, terrible online, terrible gimmick controller, a small library lacking variety, abysmal 3rd party support, terrible marketing, too much bad not enough good. It did have a solid 1st party library, but so did every other Nintendo system not named the Virtual Boy. The DC is still looked upon fondly nearly 20 years after release. The Wii U will be a mostly forgotten system that only the most hardcore Nintendo fanboys will really care about.
"Just remember ALL CAPS when you spell the man name!" - MF DOOM

dr_zomberg
3 weeks ago#36
Vegeta1000 posted...
That's actually disrespectful to compare that failure of a Wii U console to the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast was way ahead of its time.

because sega launched the dc way too early (1998- jp, 1999 elsewhere) so of course it was ahead of its time. then the newer systems got released and the dc was shoved aside.
launch games like dynasty warriors 2 could not possibly run on the DC without serious setbacks (like making the game play like the dynasty warriors games on psp, where its area based instead of a giant level, and even then...)
people say the dc had impressive specs, and it sure did..... compared to the psx and 64. because those were the systems the dc actively compited against. any way you look at it, the DC would not have survived the entire 6th gen, as it was already outdated when the ps2 launched.

dont forget the dc also had a lot of late ports of psx games. the wu had a lot of late ports at launch window, but then it ceased. the majority of third party made for wu games may be terrible, but they were made FOR the wu, unlike the dc's sea of late ports.

the dc is also (stupidly) not compatible with saturn. the wu is compatible with wii, effectively tripleing (sp?) its library. and the vc octuples (or more) it.

and with that, youll have to excuse me, im gonna go plug my dc and play me some timestalkers. maybe now ill have the endurance to finally finish it.
do not mention me, otherwise its grounds for modding for harassment, and put on ignored.

SSjYagami
3 weeks ago#37
SDC, not perfect but it set the bar high for next gen. Wii U didn't, simple as that.

Vegeta1000
3 weeks ago#38
dr_zomberg posted...
Vegeta1000 posted...
That's actually disrespectful to compare that failure of a Wii U console to the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast was way ahead of its time.

because sega launched the dc way too early (1998- jp, 1999 elsewhere) so of course it was ahead of its time. then the newer systems got released and the dc was shoved aside.
launch games like dynasty warriors 2 could not possibly run on the DC without serious setbacks (like making the game play like the dynasty warriors games on psp, where its area based instead of a giant level, and even then...)
people say the dc had impressive specs, and it sure did..... compared to the psx and 64. because those were the systems the dc actively compited against. any way you look at it, the DC would not have survived the entire 6th gen, as it was already outdated when the ps2 launched.

dont forget the dc also had a lot of late ports of psx games. the wu had a lot of late ports at launch window, but then it ceased. the majority of third party made for wu games may be terrible, but they were made FOR the wu, unlike the dc's sea of late ports.

the dc is also (stupidly) not compatible with saturn. the wu is compatible with wii, effectively tripleing (sp?) its library. and the vc octuples (or more) it.

and with that, youll have to excuse me, im gonna go plug my dc and play me some timestalkers. maybe now ill have the endurance to finally finish it.

Dreamcast was shelved early because Sega could no longer financially support the system. It had nothing to do with the system being outdated. The commercial failures of the Saturn and the two Genesis add-ons (CD, 32X) finally caught up to them. If the DC never got discontinued, it probably would've sold as much as the GC and Xbox if not more. DC had some hardware advantages over the PS2 so it wasn't completely outclassed by it.

Also, some of your reasoning are dumb. DC had late PS1 ports? So what? Those games were just as good on the DC if not better. DC also had a lot of 3rd party games that didn't have a prayer of running on the PS1. The fact is that the DC had a much more varied library than the Wii U.

The DC isn't compatible with the Saturn because both systems have vastly different hardware. That doesn't hurt the DC's library one bit just like the Wii U have the Wii's library 100% BC doesn't help the Wii U's library as those still aren't Wii U games which is the point. Nobody brings up PS1 games when discussing the PS2.

Vegeta1000
3 weeks ago#39
The fact that people still think fondly of the DC's library despite the fact that it was only on the market for 3 years (outside Japan) really says something.

dr_zomberg
3 weeks ago#40
Vegeta1000 posted...

Dreamcast was shelved early because Sega could no longer financially support the system. It had nothing to do with the system being outdated. The commercial failures of the Saturn and the two Genesis add-ons (CD, 32X) finally caught up to them. If the DC never got discontinued, it probably would've sold as much as the GC and Xbox if not more. DC had some hardware advantages over the PS2 so it wasn't completely outclassed by it.

Also, some of your reasoning are dumb. DC had late PS1 ports? So what? Those games were just as good on the DC if not better. DC also had a lot of 3rd party games that didn't have a prayer of running on the PS1. The fact is that the DC had a much more varied library than the Wii U.

bolded parts.

no. dont be delusional.
yes, but they were still late ports. anyone who wanted to play them, already did years ago. thats why none of them sold much on dc, despite being the best versions (like tony hawk 2, which featured the better graphics of the n64 version, and the fmvs and extras of the psx version) or having the then exclusive mvc 2 and soul calibur. the same happened with the wu. anyone that wanted to play arkham city had already done so.
hell, arguably the best dc game, shenmue, didnt make its budget back, and the developer even said every single dc owner would have to buy the game twice for that to happen. and im sure there arent 18 million copies of the game out there.

and this is coming from someone who likes the dc more than the wu. but im also not a blind fangirl. i see the faults in everything.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Do you agree with the statement that the Wii U is the modern Dreamcast?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived