Do you think the Wii U would've fared better if they had done these things?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Do you think the Wii U would've fared better if they had done these things?

User Info: Sailor_Razor

Sailor_Razor
2 months ago#11
I like the notion of the gamepad, though. I just don't think that it had enough time to actually do what it could. I always harp on Dissidia because, to my understanding, they released it on the PSP because local versus on it simply wouldn't have worked very gracefully on a console.

The idea of not bundling it is to make the system itself stronger but not more expensive, and the idea of letting a N3DS play substitute is to reduce the odds that, with that in mind, people will not be able to play Mario Maker, or at least not be able to play it particularly well.

I honestly think it's a little sad that Nintendo didn't keep the Wii U rolling as something they just occasionally put odd things out on. Wasted potential, all because they cruised into a ditch after the Wii.

User Info: Eoin

Eoin
2 months ago#12
Sailor_Razor posted...
I like the notion of the gamepad, though. I just don't think that it had enough time to actually do what it could.

It had nearly four years. There might have been a few unexplored concepts but if there were going to be some truly worthwhile use of the GamePad then it should have happened within those four years.

Sailor_Razor posted...
The idea of not bundling it is to make the system itself stronger but not more expensive, and the idea of letting a N3DS play substitute is to reduce the odds that, with that in mind, people will not be able to play Mario Maker, or at least not be able to play it particularly well.

The problem with not bundling it is that it as a standalone product, it would be a total failure. It would have gotten some launch games with GamePad support (like Nintendo Land) and then been forgotten - if what you want is for the GamePad's potential to be fully explored, then the worst way for that to happen is for the GamePad to have been sold separately.

The 3DS would be a poor substitute for the GamePad because its resolution is so low. The GamePad's resolution isn't all that great but it's still about four times higher than the 3DS. The New 3DS doesn't increase the resolution and also didn't appear until late 2014.

User Info: RadKickAss

RadKickAss
2 months ago#13
Well, TC, you spelled it "would've"... so you're ok in my book (and you're far ahead of the poor dullards that don't know any better).
SURE, I'LL TAKE YOU TO A GOOD PLACE. HEH!! HEH!! HEH!!
PSN: RadKickAss // 3DS: 4957-3805-8646

User Info: macknifficent89

macknifficent89
2 months ago#14
if these changes mean the tablet controller is necessarily optional, then yes. but then no one uses it.

User Info: Superlinkbro

Superlinkbro
2 months ago#15
Honestly I did not buy a Wii U because you couldn't even bring the tablet around with you, but had to keep it in the same room as the Wii U console itself. I would have bought it if it fixed just this issue, but the thing that really killed it was how much Nintendo marketed it towards children. The advertisements, games, and hell, even the look of it made it look to childish which in my eyes killed it more than any of its other issues, since a large portion of "gamers" are of an older audience.

That's just my theory, and in all honesty if they fixed this, it still would have done poorly.
Basically the internet:
https://youtu.be/M5Yqav2Juis

User Info: The Popo

The Popo
1 month ago#16
The Wii U was doomed from the start. Just too many issues and flaws to pick up any decent amount of mainstream attention and sales. Yes, the name was a bad choice. Yes, the marketing was incredibly weak (almost nonexistent). Yes, the console was underpowered compared to what was just about to be released by competitors. Yes, the amount of hard drive memory was way too small. Yes, the game pad was a gimmicky, expensive requirement that added little value to most people (I like it and so do several others, but it isn’t wasn’t for the masses). And yes, several of these factors directly led to barely any 3rd party support.

In order to fix the problem that was the Wii U, a major overhaul of a lot of its key components would be necessary. It sucks, but Nintendo swung and missed on that console generation.
Live action Hungry Hungry Hippos though, now that was a sport. ~Aeon Azuran

User Info: ernieforss

ernieforss
1 month ago#17
honestly i think i just need a different name i wish the Switch was called the Swiitch to prove me wrong.
I'm always 50% right all the time

User Info: excitebike64

excitebike64
1 month ago#18
Probably not. 3rd party trolled the hell out of the gamepad and the rest is history.
lovecraft223

User Info: BrianCraigSmith

BrianCraigSmith
1 month ago#19
SanguineDearth posted...
Personally would've liked pro controller as standard and at least 500 GB of storage.

And more third party games like Grand Theft Auto 5.
PSN: Handsomistic1 NNID: Handsomistic15
3DS FC: 2767-1438-6425

User Info: cyberpik

cyberpik
1 month ago#20
TheRushDawg posted...
Allowing the Wii U to play physical DS / 3DS carts would have been huge though.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Would've pushed the price point up to Sony/MS levels maybe but I do think it would have been a good/neat move.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Do you think the Wii U would've fared better if they had done these things?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived