Question about Wii to Wii U System Transfer.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Question about Wii to Wii U System Transfer.

User Info: Dalkin

Dalkin
2 months ago#1
I figured with the e-shop closing down that I should get the last few games I need on that service, and transfer them to my Wii U. The only problem is that with the Wii's limited storage, I couldn't have all of my Virtual Console games on the system all at once... So I used an SD Card. So, do I have to move those games onto the Wii's System memory, or can I just transfer and download them on my Wii U through the Wii e-shop?

Furthermore, I'd prefer to never have to access Wii mode on my Wii U. I think, a long time ago, I heard that you could transfer Wii VC games to the Wii U for a fee. Is that the case or did I hear wrong? Where do I go to transfer? Can I only do it with games that are on the Wii U and the Wii shop?

Sorry if this is really old and well known. I tried to google it but it's confusing and I only really played Mario Kart 8 on my Wii U...
-This post is in no way shape or form a TOS violation-

User Info: Brianst0rm

Brianst0rm
2 months ago#2
You'll pay a fee to get the games upgraded if you do the system transfer

User Info: Dalkin

Dalkin
2 months ago#3
Yeah but I have virtual console games on my Wii that arnt available on the Wii U e-shop. Can I transfer those games from the Wii to the Wii U?

Also, all of the virtual console games on my Wii are on the SD card. If I do a system transfer do I have to transfer them off the SD card and onto the Wii?
-This post is in no way shape or form a TOS violation-

User Info: Aaron44126

Aaron44126
2 months ago#4
You will be able to play Wii VC games in "Wii mode" on the Wii U after the transfer. You don't have to pay the upgrade fee unless you want to use the new features of the Wii U VC.

You do not need to have the games on the console (as opposed to the SD card) for the transfer. The licenses will be transferred to the Wii U anyway. The games will no longer be playable on your Wii. You will want to transfer as many as you can to the console, I think, because any that are left on the SD card will have to be redownloaded on the Wii U (they won't work even if you move the SD card over, unless you download them again), and navigating the Wii Shop to redownload several games ina
row is a bit painful and slow IIRC.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Question about Wii to Wii U System Transfer.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived