Did anyone find Star Fox Zero surprisingly good?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Did anyone find Star Fox Zero surprisingly good?

User Info: Yeto_Reacher

Yeto_Reacher
1 month ago#21
AirBorneCoffeeT posted...
If it wasn't for the screen switching and had the controls been a little tighter I think it would have been pretty decent.

:|

https://youtu.be/z5R8sHmbLks
Peppy: You're improving, Fox! That's what I like to see.

Yeto_Reacher
1 month ago#22
Playing right now, just got through tutorial and first 2 missions(I am on 3).

First impressions...

The controls were a little weird to get used to at first. They are extremely delicate but precise, and you may have a LOT going on at once. Check the wiiupad for cockpit view, then target...if off center, recenter....move ship with control stick on tv and move target with motion sensor. ..shoot...speed up...bogey on your tail...brake.or somersault...shoot bomb...now turn around...repeat.

The controls are accurate. This game will take some time to master. I grew up with Star Fox and Star Fox 64(lived during era not just dl them on VC). If you enjoyed either of them and have patience to master the controls...YOU WOULD LOVE THIS. Hell the first level's first half, is an HD remaster of the first level in 64...worth the price of admission just for the first level IMOthe second half is a new segment.

You have linear levels like 64 but also portions of the game with free roam(similar to the Star Wolf levels in 64 iirc). Peppy sounds a little off, Falco sounds EXACTLY like he did in 64, not all macho annoying like in Adventures/Assault. (I swear its the same guy) Slippy sounds very close to her former 64 self and Peppy just sounds new but not bad. Worse of the three(compared to 64 iterations). GOOD LUCK...

The second level your Arwing turns into a hover /walker which was unwelcomed at first, but actually continued to help me grasp the control scheme(with only a few minor additions like hover). Still prefer the Arwing. I'm going to keep going, it reminds me of everything I loved about Star Fox 64, minus the multiplayer with my brothers.

Wow, impressed. KIDS that didn't feel the original or 64 and just played them bc Fox was a player in Super Smash might hate it. It takes patience but damn I havnt had this much fun in a vg in a while.

User Info: jaZzyjeff818

jaZzyjeff818
1 month ago#23
Can it be played entirely on the gamepad alone?

Yeto_Reacher
1 month ago#24
jaZzyjeff818 posted...

I am checking right now...I dont believe so bc you need the extra cockpit view(helps with closer view of targets)

Yeto_Reacher
1 month ago#25
Yeto_Reacher posted...
jaZzyjeff818 posted...

I am checking right now...I dont believe so bc you need the extra cockpit view(helps with closer view of targets)

Sorry got sucked into 3 more levels...haha had to call it quits(did not want to). From what I can tell...no. You need both the wiiupad and tv to play this game. (Anyone please correct me if I am wrong or there is a different mode I am not seeing).

Next couple of levels were great a lot of free range mode stuff, mainly dog fights with some returning enemies from 64...Pigma and Star Wolf are just a couple. A new vehicle like a hover/ helicopter which felt limited at first but is easy to control...plus it launches a robot extension you then control first person perspective on the wii u pad. Overall still very impressed and can't wait to play again tomorrow.

Do not know who reviews games nowadays as the negative reviews held me back from almost buying this, but glad I went with my gut. Its Star Fox and Nintendo through and through, and Platinum did a better job than Rare or Namco on the Star Fox legacy. Its the best Wii U game I have played (not very many). But the type of game I like, 3D shooters like this. So far cool game and I know I have at least one unlockable mode and at least 75% more game to go. Definitly happy with this purchase.

User Info: CaptainWario

CaptainWario
1 month ago#26
Yes this is a great game with demanding mechanics that become second nature the more you play the game. Who thought piloting a Starwing would be easy ? casual gamers....

User Info: TheRushDawg

TheRushDawg
1 month ago#27
It's not bad. The big problem is that the forced motion controls / dual screen gameplay don't really enhance the game. The chicken walker and gyro copter vehicles also kinda suck and the lack of on-rails boss fights is definitely a bummer.

Overall, it is sadly inferior to Star Fox 64. Nintendo seems unwilling to make a new purely on-rails Star Fox game, despite that being how Star Fox plays best.

I'd recommend Sin & Punishment Star Success over Star Fox Zero any day of the week.
PSN: RushDawg
NNID: TheRushDawg

User Info: Kyle1022

Kyle1022
1 month ago#28
Conversely, I went in with very low expectations and still found it surprisingly bad. The controls are shockingly terrible.
GTX 980 | i7-4770k @ 4.0 GHz | 16gb RAM
Switch | Wii U | Wii | GC | N64 | SNES | NES | PSTV | PS4 | PS3 | PS2 | PS1 | 360 | N3DS | DSi | GBA | GBC | Vita | PSP

User Info: Skill4Reel

Skill4Reel
1 month ago#29
I couldn't force myself to master the controls. Maybe I just didn't care that much. So I stopped playing the game and never completed it. With that said. I thought the game looked beautiful. The voice acting is excellent for the series, and the the 3D sound coming from the gamepad is very nice.

I did the same thing with Crimson Dragon on XBOX One where I played it for a few hours, put it down, and forgot about it. Arcade inspired games like these need to be fun right from the beginning. There is no reason why player input needed to be this complicated.

User Info: MeowMixMax

MeowMixMax
1 month ago#30
no
http://myanimelist.net/profile/MeowMixMax
IGN: Makoto / HR:999 MH4U
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Did anyone find Star Fox Zero surprisingly good?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived