Why Star Fox Zero is bad

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Why Star Fox Zero is bad

User Info: Yeto_Reacher

Yeto_Reacher
1 month ago#11
yahya_no_1 posted...
Yeto_Reacher posted...
NGageBro posted...
- Controls are awful
- Story is just the same thing again
- Replaying levels isn’t that fun
- No multiplayer
- Bosses are bad
- The other vehicles are annoying to control
- Graphics are mediocre

This is really not a good game at all.

-Controls are accurate, takes time and patience to master.
-Different story, just same premise, you are a member of the Star Fox team.
-Replaying levels can be fun depending on the level and the game offers different incentives for beating your previous score.
-Co-op mode
-Bosses are difficult (challenge)
-The other vehicles that Star Fox team uses such as the landmaster and walker take time to practice, the tutorial mode offers in depth practice on each vehicle. Vehicles are level based so Arwing levels are played with Arwing, Landmaster levels played with Landmaster etc. Only few levels require multiple vehicles to complete a single mission.
-Graphics are fantastic (hd)

I see so there is coop, 4 players like the N64? if not then still an 64 bit game with more content than a WiiU game is a joke

Controls are accurate, takes time and patience to master

From what I heard the controls just like Zelda SS are just not fun, even if you get used to them

Different story, just same premise, you are a member of the Star Fox team.

Didn't this premise been retold like 6th time now? I feel this is more of a DW game a this point, which is fun for the first 3 or 4 games but after a while you need something new

I am waiting to find this game for 20$ so I can give it a shot, I feel 60 is TOO much for the asking price, Even Nintendo feels the same way, that is why the give you a free game with it lol(yes I see copies still offering that in the EB games store)

N64 didn't have 4 player coop. It had a vs battle mode.

You should try for yourself. Yes, this has motion controls, no it doesn't play like Skyward Sword, unless you mean if it has motion controls.

Star Fox original, Star Fox 64 are different but have similar gameplay, 3D shooter in space. Star Fox 64 really fleshed out the gameplay started on Star Fox SNES.

Star Fox Adventures features Fox in a Zelda type game beating up dinosaurs and solving puzzles. As you go to different planets to solve more puzzles to collect warpstones you have Arwing(3D shooter) levels.

Star Fox Assault introduced new on foot (3D shooter) levels while adding more Arwing (3D shooter) levels. I never played a DS version but assume that they have Arwing(3D shooter) levels. Star Fox Zero added new vehicles, new Arwing levels while staying true to the Star Fox formula of 3D shooter levels except it also took advantage of motion sensor capabilities and the latest in HD graphics. IMO Star Fox Zero is the most challenging of the bunch as I have beat them all(with the exception of the DS games). Andross is the final boss in Star Fox games.
Peppy: You're improving, Fox! That's what I like to see.

User Info: MannyCav

MannyCav
1 month ago#12
Yeto_Reacher posted...
Andross is the bad guy in the Star Fox universe.

(and all previous, similar)

I don't think the story is bad per se, I'm just not too frilled at the series getting its second continuity reboot undoing everything, reaching the same premises (Andross launches a war/attack on the Lylat system and Star Fox must intervene). It's a perfectly fine story and premises. I just wish they had (been able to?... see below) stuck with something and continued with it instead of hitting 'reset' again.

(this is made even more complicated by the fact that Star Fox 2 is now officially acknowledged and got a real, tangible release, effectively undoing the previous reboots, or at the very least the first one)

Their attempts to actually continue and flesh things out? Let's look at those: Star Fox Adventures, got panned by some fans for being different and on-foot, but I happen to think the game itself is good, solid, and fun, and probably would have gotten a better reception if it wasn't labeled Star Fox. Assault... eh, I like it, I thought they do a good job making ship landing+on-foot mix and transition, though the multiplayer is definitely the best part. Command... that was a mess. That's really the bad part about it: They were backed into a corner after Command. What could they do? A lot of fans figured Nintendo could only follow with a reboot, and this was during 2007-10.

And Star Fox 2. It's no longer a 'what-if'. Nintendo really did release it and continue the story of the first canon.
Protest the protests! We need less division, not more.
People sleep peacefully... only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.--Grenier

User Info: digressive

digressive
1 month ago#13
I don't get the complaint about the story. This isn't an RPG or an adventure game. It's an arcade shooter that is frequently on rails. The genre isn't really known for stellar stories, is it?

User Info: CT24

CT24
1 month ago#14
Yeto_Reacher posted...
CT24 posted...
While I don't think the controls are as bad as some say I don't find them completely accurate either. With SF64, what the square was on was what my lasers would hit.

Yeto, on another of your points...how is the story de facto different? You're Star Fox, Andross is evil and you go get him for the first time. I don't see how Zero's story is really all that different than SFSNES and SF64.

What your square is on before you hit the fire button, your lasers will hit as well in Zero.

I'll concede that happens sometimes, but in the second level for instance I would put the square on an enemy ship and lasers would go to the left of it. I found myself having to hit the recalibrate button often.

CT24
1 month ago#15
MannyCav posted...
Yeto_Reacher posted...

Their attempts to actually continue and flesh things out? Let's look at those: Star Fox Adventures, got panned by some fans for being different and on-foot, but I happen to think the game itself is good, solid, and fun, and probably would have gotten a better reception if it wasn't labeled Star Fox. Assault... eh, I like it, I thought they do a good job making ship landing+on-foot mix and transition, though the multiplayer is definitely the best part. Command... that was a mess. That's really the bad part about it: They were backed into a corner after Command. What could they do? A lot of fans figured Nintendo could only follow with a reboot, and this was during 2007-10.

And Star Fox 2. It's no longer a 'what-if'. Nintendo really did release it and continue the story of the first canon.

The general opinion of Adventures from what I've read seems to be that it's a good game but it shouldn't have had the Star Fox label.

I think with Assault, the issue wasn't that there were on foot (out of vehicle) missions...but that there were too many and that there should have been more Arwing missions

User Info: MannyCav

MannyCav
1 month ago#16
digressive posted...
I don't get the complaint about the story. This isn't an RPG or an adventure game. It's an arcade shooter that is frequently on rails. The genre isn't really known for stellar stories, is it?

Well... like I said, there's nothing specific wrong I can say about the story. It's perfectly fine. However, there was also a specific amount invested into the story ahead of a typical Mario platformer. There are stories about Andross being an evil scientist that was exiled for dangerous experiments, a war (or insurrection) that broke out, a betrayal by a trusted teammate, family that was killed, a deep-seeded need for revenge by a son, and a quest to find some closure behind that betrayal and what his father's ultimate fate really was, something the games have teased off and on over its run. So it's not like there's nothing invested here. The games do present the story to a notable extent. It's not like it's a throw away element that can be ignored or dismissed as typical 'dragon steals the princess and the hero must rescue her'. So while this genre isn't usually known for its stories, Star Fox in specific [at the very least puts up the front of] has a noteworthy story and world environment with issues, wars, and grudges. It's not like there's nothing here; there is.

The grounds are here for fleshing out a deeper story and continuation, but things seem to keep going back to that same beginning and groundwork. Which is by itself (in my opinion) a good and compelling story, but it just seems to exist by itself so far.
Protest the protests! We need less division, not more.
People sleep peacefully... only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.--Grenier

CT24
1 month ago#17
MannyCav posted...
digressive posted...

Well... like I said, there's nothing specific wrong I can say about the story. It's perfectly fine. However, there was also a specific amount invested into the story ahead of a typical Mario platformer. There are stories about Andross being an evil scientist that was exiled for dangerous experiments, a war (or insurrection) that broke out, a betrayal by a trusted teammate, family that was killed, a deep-seeded need for revenge by a son, and a quest to find some closure behind that betrayal and what his father's ultimate fate really was, something the games have teased off and on over its run. So it's not like there's nothing invested here. The games do present the story to a notable extent. It's not like it's a throw away element that can be ignored or dismissed as typical 'dragon steals the princess and the hero must rescue her'. So while this genre isn't usually known for its stories, Star Fox in specific [at the very least puts up the front of] has a noteworthy story and world environment with issues, wars, and grudges. It's not like there's nothing here; there is.

The grounds are here for fleshing out a deeper story and continuation, but things seem to keep going back to that same beginning and groundwork. Which is by itself (in my opinion) a good and compelling story, but it just seems to exist by itself so far.

Agreed. The story is interesting, but how many times can they tell basically the exact thing?

Also, MannyCav, if there is a Star Fox game for the Switch, what do you think they'll do with the story there?

User Info: macknifficent89

macknifficent89
1 month ago#18
this isn't a controversial topic. most are aware the game sucks.

Yeto_Reacher
1 month ago#19
digressive posted...

Agreed. You are the leader and member of the Star Fox team, you beat missions and try to stop Andross. The End. Last time the series strayed ANYWHERE away from this it was criticized for not "being a Star Fox game" or shouldn't of had the label, "Star Fox". It was in Nintendo's best interest to continue the trend of 3D shooter in space.

Yeto_Reacher
1 month ago#20
CT24 posted...
MannyCav posted...
Yeto_Reacher posted...

The general opinion of Adventures from what I've read seems to be that it's a good game but it shouldn't have had the Star Fox label.

I think with Assault, the issue wasn't that there were on foot (out of vehicle) missions...but that there were too many and that there should have been more Arwing missions

I disagree. I have beaten SFA at least 8-10 times. Its a fantastic game that even pushed the Zelda franchise(see Twilight Princess puzzles). Rare did a great job, the graphics and soundtrack were amazing for its time. I personally only wanted more Arwing missions, which we haphazardly received with Assault.

IMO Assault was more sloppy than the bar set by Adventures but both featured Fox in his Arwing so you can't really complain.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Why Star Fox Zero is bad

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived