Most underrated games you've played on the Wii U?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Most underrated games you've played on the Wii U?

User Info: red_car

red_car
1 month ago#1
Games that didn't receive a large amount of praise even though you think they're pretty good?
-----

User Info: Spookyryu

Spookyryu
1 month ago#2
red_car posted...
Games that didn't receive a large amount of praise even though you think they're pretty good?

Devil's third

User Info: DMAN2501

DMAN2501
1 month ago#3
Fatal frame 5 never got much love. Digital only, a niche series, and wonky (though completely optional) gyro aiming .Its not the best in the series and I can certainly understand why it never got a huge audience. Still a great horror game.

Also, Toad Treasure Tracker. It got a lot of praise when it launched, but its hardly ever mentioned anymore.

User Info: red_car

red_car
1 month ago#4
Anyone else know any underrated games for this system?
-----

User Info: Foxclaws

Foxclaws
1 month ago#5
Ninja gaiden 3.
Tekken tag 2.
I'm not okay I'm crazy!!!!

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
1 month ago#6
Spookyryu posted...
red_car posted...

Devil's third

this
I expected bad
I got a superb game. So glad that I got it a year before they turned off the superb multiplayer.
If that game would have been released on PS3/360 (like it was supposed to), no one would have cared and it would have gotten 7/10 or 8/10.
Surely the best Unreal Engine 3 game I ever played.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.

User Info: TsC_PoLiTiKz

TsC_PoLiTiKz
1 month ago#7
jimi_dini posted...
Spookyryu posted...
red_car posted...

Devil's third

this
I expected bad
I got a superb game. So glad that I got it a year before they turned off the superb multiplayer.
If that game would have been released on PS3/360 (like it was supposed to), no one would have cared and it would have gotten 7/10 or 8/10.

You need to play more games if Devil's Third is the best game you've played that uses UE3.
Currently Playing: Adventures of Pip (XONE); Titanfall (XONE); Splatoon (Wii U); The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (GBA); RuneScape (PC)

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
1 month ago#8
TsC_PoLiTiKz posted...
jimi_dini posted...
Spookyryu posted...
red_car posted...

Devil's third

this
I expected bad

You need to play more games if Devil's Third is the best game you've played that uses UE3.

Says someone, who has never played Devil's Third.

Show me another UE3 game, that
>is very highly polished
>has properly working massive multiplayer
>which also includes a level maker for online matches
>and it all working perfectly without a SINGLE patch

The most common thing of UE3 games is that they are buggy as hell, even after receiving tons of patches. That was the reason why I expected Devil's Third to be crap. The UE3 logo.

I also played:
- Alien Breed 1 up to 3 - buggy as hell, hard-locking, but at least it auto-saves
- Alice: Madness Returns - crappy and buggy, terrible frame rate
- Alpha Protocol - technically a 100% mess, story is great though, typical UE3-crap-texture-load-in
- Arkham Asylum - okay-ish, but hard-locked for me all the time for the last collectable. It still does. Thanks to the buggy trophy code, I was still able to get PS3 platinum anyway. Otherwise I would have needed to replay literally everything.
- Arkham City - terrible frame rate, hard-locks, quite buggy
- Arkham Origins - best version on Wii U, still a technical mess, terrible frame rate, hard-locks, quite buggy
- Drakengard 3 - technical mess
- Killer is Dead - technical and game play mess
- Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust - technical mess, not the Leisure Suit Larry I know
- Mass Effect 3 - hard-locks even on Wii U
- Saw: The Video game - technical and game play mess
- Spec Ops: The Line - tries to imitate one of those bad bro shooters, succeeds with that because UE3 is a terrible engine, story is great and well told
- XCOM: Enemy Within - okay-ish game, but nothing special
- Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - terrible mess of a "game", tons of technical issues, typical UE3-crap-texture-load-in, horrible story that makes no sense, primitive gameplay
- Splinter Cell Blacklist - great game, held down by a terrible engine. Hard-locks are common, especially in coop multiplayer which is a shame, graphic glitches and so on even after various patches

You were probably simply too lazy to check my collection of games.
When basically all developers fail to make proper games with your engine, then it's quite likely that the engine is the problem.

I mean show me a single UE3 game running on a console, that at the very least keeps a rock solid 30 fps frame rate.
Hell, show me a single UE3 game running on a console, that is not a silly primitive fighting game and keeps a solid 60 fps.
How about one that does one of those and doesn't need a game installation?
Great engine you got there.

UE3 was made for PCs. It's not a properly made engine, especially not for actual consoles (== no silly PC installations please).
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.

User Info: TsC_PoLiTiKz

TsC_PoLiTiKz
1 month ago#9
jimi_dini posted...
TsC_PoLiTiKz posted...
jimi_dini posted...
Spookyryu posted...
red_car posted...

Devil's third

this
I expected bad

Says someone, who has never played Devil's Third.

Show me another UE3 game, that
>is very highly polished
>has properly working massive multiplayer
>which also includes a level maker for online matches
>and it all working perfectly without a SINGLE patch

The most common thing of UE3 games is that they are buggy as hell, even after receiving tons of patches. That was the reason why I expected Devil's Third to be crap. The UE3 logo.

I also played:

You were probably simply too lazy to check my collection of games.
When basically all developers fail to make proper games with your engine, then it's quite likely that the engine is the problem.

I mean show me a single UE3 game running on a console, that at the very least keeps a rock solid 30 fps frame rate.
Hell, show me a single UE3 game running on a console, that is not a silly primitive fighting game and keeps a solid 60 fps.
How about one that does one of those and doesn't need a game installation?
Great engine you got there.

UE3 was made for PCs. It's not a properly made engine, especially not for actual consoles (== no silly PC installations please).

I haven't done any more than watch videos on it, I'll admit that. I don't typically buy games that score so low, but it could be a fine game. The gameplay looks... Par. I would hunt it down if the only redeeming quality it had wasn't gone now tbh.

Were you playing all of those on PS3 or something? Many of those you are complaining about bugs on I don't recall being buggy at all. Could be my memory!

Either way: the fact that you didn't list Borderlands brings me back to "You need to play more games if Devil's Third is the best game you've played that uses UE3."

I'll must admit, your argument is a tad crazy. ALL console UE3 games are horrible except for THIS ONE GAME that people as a whole seem to have a very low opinion of? Like I said, it could be a fine game when playing, but I'm convinced you're just fanboying on this one.
Currently Playing: Adventures of Pip (XONE); Titanfall (XONE); Splatoon (Wii U); The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (GBA); RuneScape (PC)

User Info: StephenYap3

StephenYap3
1 month ago#10
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Paper Mario: Color Splash
Star Fox Zero (not as good as 64, but I still enjoyed it)
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Pokken Tournament (though I have this on my Switch right now and still...)
Mario Party 10 (I really don't think this game is bad. It stomps all over Island Tour on 3DS, imo)
Yoshi's Woolly World
NES Remix 1 and 2 (I barely hear anybody talking about these games)
Dr. Luigi
Nintendo Land (As good of a game Wii Sports and Resort were, this one was just one of the best I played on this system. 1-2-Switch can go eat dirt.)
New Super Mario Bros U
Hyrule Warriors
Still waiting for a good Mario Tennis and Paper Mario RPG, Camelot and Intelligent Systems. R.I.P. Miiverse 2012 - 2017.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Most underrated games you've played on the Wii U?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived