Wii U is dead.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Wii U is dead.

User Info: aux

aux
4 weeks ago#1
Nintendo has officially labeled the Wii U a failure and is moving on.

They are throwing everything into the Switch.
---
Disgruntled Former iOS Gamer

User Info: DuranmanX4

DuranmanX4
4 weeks ago#2
aux posted...

starting when?
Retail Wii U and 3DS games: https://sta.sh/02egamz324w0
Retail PS4 and VITA games: https://sta.sh/09xbomh9bc4

User Info: este914

este914
4 weeks ago#3
aux posted...

Got a link stating this?

-

User Info: Skill4Reel

Skill4Reel
4 weeks ago#4
Yeah, that's what is so depressing about being a Nintendo fan for me right now. Nintendo is putting everything they have into the Switch, and I still prefer the Wii U hardware more. Maybe I'm just not that much of a Nintendo fan anymore.

aux
4 weeks ago#5
este914 posted...
aux posted...

Got a link stating this?

But of course! What would the Internet be without links?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/11/10/reggie-fils-aime-says-switch-success-comes-from-wii-u-39-s-failure.aspx
---

User Info: este914

este914
4 weeks ago#6
aux posted...
este914 posted...
aux posted...

Got a link stating this?

But of course! What would the Internet be without links?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/11/10/reggie-fils-aime-says-switch-success-comes-from-wii-u-39-s-failure.aspx

Cool. Did you buy a Switch yet? I'm thinking about getting one.

-

Skill4Reel
4 weeks ago#7
The Switch launched with a Zelda game that Wii U owners had already been waiting on for years. A sequel to Splatoon when it took the Wii U almost three years to get the original game. Also an updated version of a Mario Kart 8 game that did not arrive on Wii U until after two years that was still extremely successful even with a trash battle mode.

So...no, Reggie. All Nintendo learned from the failure of the Wii U is what I was saying, and what they should have already known since 2012. That Nintendo needed to prioritize online multiplayer gaming early on when their console releases. That is why I was so excited for Ghost Recon Online in 2011 because that game showed that even if Nintendo wasn't thinking about online gaming, and at the time they weren't. They hadn't announced any online multiplayer games for Wii U then. Then at least the third party developers were going to pick up the slack for them. Unfortunately that didn't even happen.

Edit: The Wii U made it extremely easy for Nintendo to release first party games on the Switch in the first year that they knew people already wanted and liked.

aux
4 weeks ago#8
Skill4Reel posted...
The Switch launched with a Zelda game that Wii U owners had already been waiting on for years. A sequel to Splatoon when it took the Wii U almost three years to get the original game. Also an updated version of a Mario Kart 8 game that did not arrive on Wii U until after two years that was still extremely successful even with a trash battle mode.

So...no, Reggie. All Nintendo learned from the failure of the Wii U is what I was saying, and what they should have already known since 2012. That Nintendo needed to prioritize online multiplayer gaming early on when their console releases. That is why I was so excited for Ghost Recon Online in 2011 because that game showed that even if Nintendo wasn't thinking about online gaming, and at the time they weren't. They hadn't announced any online multiplayer games for Wii U then. Then at least the third party developers were going to pick up the slack for them. Unfortunately that didn't even happen.

Edit: The Wii U made it extremely easy for Nintendo to release first party games on the Switch in the first year that they knew people already wanted and liked.

You make a good point. Feels like Nintendo never took the Wii U seriously.
---

User Info: Littlefoot

Littlefoot
4 weeks ago#9
This is the problem with Nintendo. Once they release a new console, they more or less try to forget that the previous one existed.
Rest in peace, beloved Wii Shop Channel.

Skill4Reel
4 weeks ago#10
Littlefoot posted...
This is the problem with Nintendo. Once they release a new console, they more or less try to forget that the previous one existed.

Yep, and this is the problem that I have with the Switch because I valued second screen home console gaming a hell of a lot more than I do full portability.

aux posted...

You make a good point. Feels like Nintendo never took the Wii U seriously.

I think that Nintendo was never fully prepared to support the Wii U hardware that they built beyond still trying to push that same room local multiplayer party machine stuff that wasn't even working for the original Wii anymore with the Wii U. Look at the Switch. Tabletop mode and games like 1-2 Switch are not the major draws for most people buying the console. Single and online multiplayer games are dominating on that platform for the first year. It's all Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, and Mario Kart.

All the Wii U had at launch were 2D Mario games when the hype for those had already died down, and Nintendoland. No stand out online multiplayer titles other than a Call of Duty game that was announced super late, and was overshadowed by other platform versions, and also the news of having no DLC support. Also a Ghost Recon game that never saw a release. Where Ubisoft did announce and demo it very early the previous year, but probably weren't willing to spend as much money developing it over the years for Wii U because doing so would cost more than just porting games that were already finished for other platforms.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Wii U is dead.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived