Why was the N-64 console neglected for digital games?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Why was the N-64 console neglected for digital games?

User Info: Forsto

Forsto
4 weeks ago#1
The old Nintendo, Super Nintendo, have allot of games available for digital download. The N-64 has hardly any..Maybe 10 in total. Why is that?

User Info: mothballs

mothballs
4 weeks ago#2
tough to emulate.

and not as expansive as a library/ harder to get licenses.

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
4 weeks ago#3
yeah I don't remember many n64 games i like that aren't thirdparty, honestly.
I'm sick of off topic threads and abusive mods.
u/Gargomon251

User Info: __Blight__

__Blight__
4 weeks ago#4
Because the N64 was a pretty crappy system. If it wasn't for the fact that I had 4-5 friends to play their games with I would have never touched it.
"I see light to the east...mornings coming."

User Info: TsC_PoLiTiKz

TsC_PoLiTiKz
4 weeks ago#5
I would have *loved* for Disney to allow the N64 Star Wars games to be added. Ep. 1 Racer, SotE, Rogue Squadron, Battle for Naboo; all very fun!

Snowboard Kids would have been awesome! I know Atlus is still around. I'm pretty sure the dev is still around as well... They could have figured it out!
Currently Playing: Star Wars: Battlefront (XONE); Overwatch (XONE); Pokemon Blue (GB); The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (GBA); RuneScape (PC)

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
4 weeks ago#6
__Blight__ posted...
Because the N64 was a pretty crappy system. If it wasn't for the fact that I had 4-5 friends to play their games with I would have never touched it.

Let me guess...you have a Playstation tattoo somewhere on your body? The N64 had its shortcomings but it was incredibly popular, was far and away the most powerful console of its generation, and played host to several revolutionary and well-regarded games like SM64, Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie etc etc.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: Zero_Maniac

Zero_Maniac
4 weeks ago#7
JKatarn posted...
it was incredibly popular

Not really. 30 million compared to PS1's 100 million? I'd say N64 wasn't a failure, but calling it "incredibly popular" is just dishonest.

JKatarn posted...
was far and away the most powerful console of its generation

Yes and no. The cartridge format held it back compared to the Saturn and the PS1, but in terms of its actual innards you're right, it was indeed the most powerful. However, a lot of Saturn games look just as good as N64 games.
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."

User Info: sjsiefert

sjsiefert
4 weeks ago#8
I think it has to do with licensing issues like mothballs said. I just skimmed the list of n64 games, and besides Rare games, there is only a few hidden gems that really need to make it on the eshop, like mischief makers and the Goemon games.

User Info: Bass_X0

Bass_X0
4 weeks ago#9
Only Nintendo really supported the N64 on Wii and Wii U Virtual Console. We barely got games from other companies.
"Well, it's not a bad game. It's made by Capcom, so how could it?" ~ AVGN

User Info: Miz_iZ_AwSOme_X

Miz_iZ_AwSOme_X
4 weeks ago#10
__Blight__ posted...

No it wasn't.

now you Makin ish up
PSN xJokerLastLaughx Currently playing MKXL SF5 Xenoverse 2 AC4 Black Flag Watchdogs 2 Ghost Recon Wildlands WWE 2K17 Advance Warfare exo zombies only.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Why was the N-64 console neglected for digital games?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived