buying a wii u without gamepad? a few questions:

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. buying a wii u without gamepad? a few questions:

User Info: ricshos

ricshos
4 weeks ago#1
I've always wanted a Wii U so I can play smash on it, i'm living in Japan right now and I have a few questions.

1. Many places that sell the consoles sell them without a gamepad; can I buy it without the gamepad and use a pro controller instead? Is there any kind of hack to do this? I'm not asking how, just if there is one or not. I'm basically looking for the cheapest route to be able to play a wii u. Should I just go ahead and spend $160-170 for a console+gamepad?

2. Is there a way to make it region free? I'd like to be able to buy and play USA games on it eventually at some point in time.

3. Is it worth buying? Are there enough games to warrant me buying it to keep me entertained? I pretty much like all game genres except FPS.
Currently playing: Xenoblade Chronicles, Theatrhythm Dragon Quest (n3DS)

User Info: slightlord

slightlord
4 weeks ago#2
1) Youtube.

2) Youtube.

3) Completely subjective and up to you to decide. This board cannot really help you with any of your questions.
I lost my second born daughter. I hope my pain is one you never EVER experience. In loving memory of Iyolah Phaeri Hassan 3-31-2006

User Info: DarthDestro

DarthDestro
4 weeks ago#3
I dont remember system set up (other than it took like 2 hrs.) so i might be wrong but u can probably just use a pro controller (might wanna look on youtube to see system set up and if it repuires gamepad)

2. No

3. YES this thing has some great games, Mario maker, Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, mario 3d world, Zelda twilight princess hd, Zelda wind waker hd, splatoon (yes shooter, but this isnt an average shooter and the main goal isnt even to kill people), and Xenoblade X
It has access to old games too some of the best include, Mario world, Super Metroid, Zelda OOT, Metroid prime trilogy, mario galaxy, mario galaxy 2, Zelda Skyward sword,Xenoblade, and more.

Im sure im missing things those were just off the top of my head.

Overall without a gamepad i dont Think You can buy it without one

But it is definitely worth the buy
You either die a noob or live long enough to see yourself becomr a try hard
switch fc 5752-4317-1512

User Info: BahamutBBob

BahamutBBob
4 weeks ago#4
You HAVE to use the gamepad whenever you change settings.

Some games require you to use the gamepad, even when using a pro controller.

I regret buying my Wii U, but I didn't ever get many games for it. MK8 was excellent, and Smash was fun, but I barely had anyone to play it with, and I don't play fighters online. (because I suck, and don't want my opponent to ragequit if I actually do good)
XBL / PSN / Steam / NNID: BahamutBBob
3DS: 2320 - 6245 - 8788

User Info: Yeto_Reacher

Yeto_Reacher
4 weeks ago#5
1. No, buy one you'll regret it.

2. No.

3. Yes. It's a great system with a lot of games to discover.
Frog: Lower thine guard, and thou'rt allowing the enemy in.

User Info: celebar

celebar
4 weeks ago#6
You need a gamepad or the system will be halfway unusable.
thank you for reading my post
regards, celebar

User Info: Yeto_Reacher

Yeto_Reacher
4 weeks ago#7
celebar posted...
You need a gamepad or the system will be halfway unusable.

Agreed. It's literally half of the system.
Frog: Lower thine guard, and thou'rt allowing the enemy in.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. buying a wii u without gamepad? a few questions:

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived