Anyone have a 64GB flash drive they'd recommend for Wii U?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Anyone have a 64GB flash drive they'd recommend for Wii U?

User Info: ShirkDawg

ShirkDawg
4 weeks ago#1
I'm looking to spend around $20 (I'm fine with waiting for a sale). I only really need it for 3 or so games (well, one of those is just Xenoblade's 10GB of files since I have the disc), so I don't want to spend $50 on a hard drive.

User Info: jaybird4488

jaybird4488
4 weeks ago#2
I just use a 64GB jump drive. I have for 2 years now and I haven't had any problems. I use it for Xenoblade's DLC as well. It's on the back of the unit so I actually forget it's even there.

User Info: MannyCav

MannyCav
4 weeks ago#3
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-cruzer-glide-64gb-usb-2-0-flash-drive-black/3495128.p?skuId=3495128 SanDisk 2.0 64 GB for $17.99
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-ultra-64gb-usb-3-0-flash-drive-black/9211078.p?skuId=9211078 San Disk 3.0 64 GB for $19.99

Both the 2.0 and 3.0 128 GB are $29.99. It may have been mistake, but I briefly saw the 128 2.0 listed for $22.99. It said "Black Friday Ad Deal" or something like that. It's possible they accidentally spoiled their sale by mistake, or that was a current price and I missed it. Either way, keep that in mind.

WiiU will be able to read 3.0 flash drives, but only at 2.0 speed, so what you're paying extra for is functionality on a computer with 3.0 ports, and the ability to more quickly transfer files to and from the computer and flash drive.

I have a number of these drives and used them without significant issue (albeit not on a WiiU).
Protest the protests! We need less division, not more.
People sleep peacefully... only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.--Grenier

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
4 weeks ago#4
Don't use flash drives.
Buy a proper external USB harddrive. Way cheaper and will work for ages.
Nintendo tells you not to use flash drives.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.

MannyCav
4 weeks ago#5
jimi_dini posted...
Buy a proper external USB harddrive. Way cheaper and will work for ages.

The cheapest USB hard drives I know of are $50 for 500 GB. A given USB flash drive of the same space will of course be more expensive, but flash drives in general can be had for much less money than hard drives.

Is there a chance Nintendo is saying 'no USB flash drives' because of 'huurr we don't want piracy let's tell them not to use flash drives'? Kind of like saying 'there's no need to backup your games, it's illegal, it may harm you system and games and/or void your warranty, don't do it'?
People sleep peacefully... only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.--Grenier

User Info: Salogy

Salogy
4 weeks ago#6
Don't use flash drives on the Wii U. They're not made for long term storage that is constantly rewritten. Just don't use one. One day your flash drive will fail on you and you will remember this topic.
"In truth, they haven't been allowed for ages, we've just never enforced the rule" -SineNomine on presigs

MannyCav
4 weeks ago#7
Salogy posted...
Don't use flash drives on the Wii U. They're not made for long term storage that is constantly rewritten.

Maybe I'm not understanding the way the WiiU plays games off of external drives, be they hard drives or flash drives, but my understanding was that after the game gets put there, that's pretty much it. There aren't any more write cycles, or data being rewritten. It's just reading, unless the WiiU does something I'm not aware of, like write huge chunks of temporary cache data to the drive while the game is being played, then delete it after it's done. If I'm missing something in the process here, I'd like to know as I have a similar setup on my Wii.

Now, what will age flash drives fast is formatting them in NTFS. FAT (or Nintendo equivalent--really, anything other than NTFS) is definitely the way to go. NTFS is good to go on external hard drives.

jimi_dini
4 weeks ago#8
MannyCav posted...
The cheapest USB hard drives I know of are $50 for 500 GB. A given USB flash drive of the same space will of course be more expensive, but flash drives in general can be had for much less money than hard drives.

https://www.amazon.com/250GB-Portable-External-Laptop-Desktop/dp/B01N9RN5M9
$30 for 250 GB.

inb4 but but I can get a cheapo 64 GB flash drive for $18.

You are not that good with math, aren't you?

Wii U attaches saved games to the game download. If you actually don't want to lose the saved games, I would go for proper storage. Which is way way less expensive even. OP says 3 games. And then it's another few digital Indies and the 64 GB is full.

MannyCav posted...
Maybe I'm not understanding the way the WiiU plays games off of external drives

You are actually not understanding how flash drives work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory#Read_disturb

Flash drives are NOT just ROMs like in NES carts with some limited write cycles. That would be nice, but it would be way more expensive.

When Nintendo literally says that YOU SHOULD NOT BUY FLASH DRIVES for use with Wii U, they may know what they are talking about.
Nintendo is not selling proprietary harddrives, so they have no reason to lie to you.

Yes, some people use some flash drives and didn't lose their saves within a few months. That's nice and all. When you search a bit on this board, you will find a plethora of topics saying "my saved games stored on my flash drive are gone".
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."

MannyCav
4 weeks ago#9
jimi_dini posted...
You are not that good with math, aren't you?

You're hostilities aren't necessary. I don't know what would lead you to this dubious conclusion anyway since you had not previously posted that link. Where did I argue that the hard drive you just linked to cost less money (or had less space) than the flash drives I linked to? You were preemptively berating me for claiming those SanDisk flash drives cost less and had equal space to your Maxone drive before I had even done so.
jimi_dini posted...
Wii U attaches saved games to the game download. If you actually don't want to lose the saved games, I would go for proper storage. Which is way way less expensive even. OP says 3 games. And then it's another few digital Indies and the 64 GB is full.

The stuff you wrote below and after this wasn't particularly necessary since you had already answered my question with this paragraph: The save data is bundled with the games themselves, so naturally there's continuous writing as well as reading. It wasn't a lack of understanding how flash drives work, it was a lack of understanding how the WiiU in particular worked with how it read and stored games.

Regardless, thank you. Do you personally use that particular brand and make of external hard drive, and can personally vouch for it? If not, which one?

jimi_dini
4 weeks ago#10
MannyCav posted...
You're hostilities aren't necessary.

People get on my nerves, when they go and I quote
"'huurr we don't want piracy let's tell them not to use flash drives'"

How does this make any sense at all to you?
USB-access-wise there is literally no difference between a regular harddrive, a SSD and a flash drive. Wii U fully encrypts storage. There is no piracy advantage on flash drives. It's all just storage. It's all encrypted and locked to your specific Wii U. You can't pirate that way at all.

Wii U sees that there is storage. It can't even figure out if it's a flash drive or whatever. It sees storage. The USB protocol is called USB MSD, Mass-Storage-Device. Even cameras act as Mass-Storage-Devices and the Wii U could probably use a camera as well for storing games.

Nintendo has no reason at all to lie to you about this.

What's worse is that such ill advise will cause other people to buy some silly flash drive. Then after some time those people will lose their saved games and then complain on here. I remember someone who lost like 200 hours of Xenoblade X, because of this crap.

The save data is bundled with the games themselves, so naturally there's continuous writing as well as reading.

No, there isn't. There is writing when you save your game. And that portion is not the actual problem.

It wasn't a lack of understanding how flash drives work

Yes, it obviously is.
FLASH DRIVES ARE MEANT FOR QUICK DATA STORAGE AND RETRIEVAL.
As in copy document on it. Retrieve it at home.
Flash drives DO NOT LIKE IT, when you constantly read from them either. That's what I linked to. The problem is called "read disturb" and there is even more info on that page how flash drives internally work.

And that's exactly why Nintendo recommends AGAINST them. Because Wii U and literally every console out there, which stores games on external storage, will read from that storage all the time when running games. That's called streaming. When you run around in Breath of the Wild the game will constantly read data. Regular harddrives do not have a problem with that. DVD drives inside consoles were designed for that. Flash drives do have a problem with that.

And then there is of course the other problem, that there are tons of cheapo flash drives, which are not even well made. And those will fail even faster. That's why you should not use flash drives for those things.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Anyone have a 64GB flash drive they'd recommend for Wii U?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived