Anyone have a 64GB flash drive they'd recommend for Wii U?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Anyone have a 64GB flash drive they'd recommend for Wii U?

User Info: MannyCav

MannyCav
4 weeks ago#11
jimi_dini posted...
People get on my nerves, when they go and I quote
"'huurr we don't want piracy let's tell them not to use flash drives'"

How does this make any sense at all to you?

Nintendo has done that type of thing in the past with regards to game rips, though if you actually look back, I never said that was what Nintendo was doing here (nor did I give advice to that effect--I was asking a question for my own benefit so I could learn more, not making an assertion myself). I was wondering aloud if it was possible that was the case. You answered the question sufficiently in post #8, in paragraph 8 I believe. Your answer satisfactory to me (Nintendo wrote the instruction with external hardware use in mind), I didn't contest the point. You needn't have winded yourself drawing deeper into the subject when I never accused Nintendo of this, merely asked a question and accepted your answer without contest.
jimi_dini posted...
No, there isn't. There is writing when you save your game.

You say no, there isn't [any continuous writing], but afterward say there is writing when you save the game. Don't some games auto-save, and fairly often at that?
jimi_dini posted...
And that portion is not the actual problem.

Maybe not a big problem. I did read the Wikipedia article you linked to. Good, though I'd add that writing still probably adds wear to it, no matter how small it may be (compared to read). Wear over time can still add up, even if write is apparently much less wear than read. Things don't last forever, and any amount of read/write can add to that. USB ports themselves are rated for such-and-such number of connect and reconnect cycles. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Standard_connectors allegedly 1,500, though one's likelihood of reaching that number is questionable. Though whether or not it's an easily obtainable number, it does exist, and however small that connect/disconnect wear is--and however minute or negligible that write wear is--it still exists.
jimi_dini posted...
Yes, it obviously is.

Obviously... not? I really appreciate your help. That's sincere. But, I'll also add that I do in fact understand the read issue with flash drives, read what you linked to, and accepted your conclusion all the way back to post #8 without contest. You're continuing to argue with me as if I'm arguing that constant drive reading isn't an issue. I never did, and already accepted your answer that it is. If you want to continue arguing the point or make another stanza how continuous flash drive reading is an issue, that's fine and I won't stop you, but it won't be an argument against me if you do. It will be against Mr. Bolger. I believe the term for this is "violent agreement". Would there be anything especially wrong with accepting my agreement with you that flash drive reading is an issue, something I did all the way back in post #9? Or is agreement over the internet such a foreign concept that you'd rather just argue with me anyway over how I'm 'wrong' that 'flash drive repeated reads isn't an issue'?

To hopefully get this back on topic and some sense of sanity, I'll ask again: Do you personally use that particular brand and make of external hard drive, and can personally vouch for it? If not, which one?
Protest the protests! We need less division, not more.
People sleep peacefully... only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.--Grenier

User Info: Salogy

Salogy
4 weeks ago#12
Interesting. I am not going to argue with you based on how this topic is going. There's a reason why a hard drive costs more than a flash drive. If you can't grasp that knowledge then the best of luck to you.
"In truth, they haven't been allowed for ages, we've just never enforced the rule" -SineNomine on presigs

User Info: ShirkDawg

ShirkDawg
4 weeks ago#13
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm leaning towards getting the 250GB hard drive since it isn't too much more expensive, but I'm still thinking. Will that require anything else such as a Y cable? I remember seeing a post about hard drives needing that elsewhere, but I don't really know anything about them. Can anyone vouch for that Maxone brand of hard drive someone listed? Not familiar with them. I've only had Toshiba, Seagate, and Western Digital hard drives.

User Info: MannyCav

MannyCav
4 weeks ago#14
Salogy posted...
I am not going to argue with you based on how this topic is going. There's a reason why a hard drive costs more than a flash drive. If you can't grasp that knowledge then the best of luck to you.

There's no need to since I agreed with the point long ago, and never argued against it. It's basically a violent agreement. We all agree that hard drives are on the whole longer lived than flash drives, that Nintendo put that warning up for a reason, and that continuous reading can be potentially hazardus.
ShirkDawg posted...
Will that require anything else such as a Y cable? I remember seeing a post about hard drives needing that elsewhere, but I don't really know anything about them.

That depends. 2.5mm hard drives generally don't but 3.5mm drives generally do. The smaller ones should be able to be powered over USB just fine (though Nintendo does notably recommend externally powered hard drives). If you feel like rolling the dice https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0761X416D It's got better reviews than the Maxone but it was also listed not too long ago.

Another potential option is to take a laptop hard drive you have laying around that you have no use for, and buying a USB hard drive enclosure for it.
Protest the protests! We need less division, not more.
People sleep peacefully... only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.--Grenier

User Info: ShirkDawg

ShirkDawg
4 weeks ago#15
MannyCav posted...
Salogy posted...
I am not going to argue with you based on how this topic is going. There's a reason why a hard drive costs more than a flash drive. If you can't grasp that knowledge then the best of luck to you.

There's no need to since I agreed with the point long ago, and never argued against it. It's basically a violent agreement. We all agree that hard drives are on the whole longer lived than flash drives, that Nintendo put that warning up for a reason, and that continuous reading can be potentially hazardus.
ShirkDawg posted...
Will that require anything else such as a Y cable? I remember seeing a post about hard drives needing that elsewhere, but I don't really know anything about them.

That depends. 2.5mm hard drives generally don't but 3.5mm drives generally do. The smaller ones should be able to be powered over USB just fine (though Nintendo does notably recommend externally powered hard drives). If you feel like rolling the dice https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0761X416D It's got better reviews than the Maxone but it was also listed not too long ago.

Another potential option is to take a laptop hard drive you have laying around that you have no use for, and buying a USB hard drive enclosure for it.

Thanks, no laptops, but I used to have PS3 and PS4 hard drives from replacing them with higher capacity drives, but I think I sold all of them, so that 120GB seems like a good option. I probably won't ever go over 120GB, and I don't think I'll even end up filling 60, but having a little extra room isn't a bad thing.

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
4 weeks ago#16
I've been using a SanDisk, but it's only 16gb

EDIT: This kind

https://i.imgur.com/J5aEFip.jpg
I'm sick of off topic threads and abusive mods.
u/Gargomon251

User Info: Grizzmeister

Grizzmeister
4 weeks ago#17
This thread has me very confused. Are we saying it's not safe to store games on anything other than a hard-drive? What about all my Virtual Console games I have on an SD card, they're not safe?
Speaking on condition of anonymity.

User Info: Cubby

Cubby
4 weeks ago#18
I used a drive you can plug into it, it was a 16 GB drive when I first got my U, unfortunately my copy of Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge started missing up badly, so I had to use my drive on my system(Got the little 8GB one) So I had to buy a 500GB External HDD, if you do primarily Disk copies it works fantastic, I still have 400 + GB on it with DLC and everything.
When you get called a Pony, Xbot, and Nintendrone in a single day. Your a true gamer.

User Info: Cubby

Cubby
4 weeks ago#19
Gargomon251 posted...
I've been using a SanDisk, but it's only 16gb

EDIT: This kind

https://i.imgur.com/J5aEFip.jpg

Yeah, these can mess up on certain games.
When you get called a Pony, Xbot, and Nintendrone in a single day. Your a true gamer.

User Info: yosheta

yosheta
4 weeks ago#20
I think if you're using it for small scale games, I don't think it's bad.

So anything on the VC would probably be okay.

If it's for a game that requires a lot of reads from the device (like BoTW), then probably not okay.
Dohoho
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Anyone have a 64GB flash drive they'd recommend for Wii U?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived