What was the biggest disappointment of the Wii U for you?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. What was the biggest disappointment of the Wii U for you?

User Info: Skill4Reel

Skill4Reel
2 months ago#11
perfectlydark1 posted...
Nintendo themselves never seemed to know what to do with a second screen, not enough to truly justify its existence beyond off screen play. This was my main disappointment with the Wii U.
I mean, Ubisoft integrated the gamepad with Zombie U and Rayman, I never really got what Nintendo's intention was with it.

Local multiplayer was Nintendo's initial focus for the gamepad. Nintendoland and New Super Mario Bros U (the two biggest games when the console launched) were largely focused on using the gamepad for asymmetrical local multiplayer. Which is exactly what the two Ubisoft Wii U games that you've mentioned were focused on. Zombi U multiplayer and Rayman Legends were both about asymmetrical local multiplayer. Criterion even tried to force asymetrical multiplayer into their Need For Speed Most Wanted U port.

Nintendo knew exactly what they wanted to do with the gamepad, and they did it. The problem was that their plan did not excite the masses for very long, and they were not prepared in any way to support the hardware that they built early on from a different perspective. Once the asymmetrical multiplayer idea flopped. It took Nintendo 2 to 3 more years to get Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon out of the door. Only it was too late by then.

The Wii U needed both of those games in the first year. Those two games were the online multiplayer focus that needed to be built upon with added software features that took advantage of the second screen for years to come. Of course we got none of that.

User Info: Aidgum

Aidgum
2 months ago#12
That the console even exists? Honestly, they should've just skipped to the Switch instead; A console with a million times more potential than that gameless dust collector.
I'm weird.
[3DS FC: 2208-5262-5373] [Steam: PlasmaPower] [Xbox: plasmap0wer] [PS: Aidgum]

User Info: Alphrin

Alphrin
2 months ago#13
The fact that they wasted their opportunity to make a new Pokemon Snap game where we could have our own real life "camera" to take pictures of Pokemon with.

User Info: Slave 1

Slave 1
2 months ago#14
No main series Animal Crossing game. AC was doing great things with New Leaf on 3DS, I was pumped for a Wii U game but it never came.

Also the fact that Zelda was basically the promised console-defining game looming over the Wii U for its entire life, but it was delayed so much that it was released after the console was already toast. The Wii U had a great Zelda library overall, but it has the unique distinction of being the only Nintendo home console without an exclusive main series Zelda game at the time of release. THAT is a big letdown.
Main objective is efficiency; life is inefficient; life hinders the main objective; life must be eliminated.

User Info: perfectlydark1

perfectlydark1
1 month ago#15
Skill4Reel posted...
perfectlydark1 posted...
Nintendo themselves never seemed to know what to do with a second screen, not enough to truly justify its existence beyond off screen play. This was my main disappointment with the Wii U.
I mean, Ubisoft integrated the gamepad with Zombie U and Rayman, I never really got what Nintendo's intention was with it.

Local multiplayer was Nintendo's initial focus for the gamepad. Nintendoland and New Super Mario Bros U (the two biggest games when the console launched) were largely focused on using the gamepad for asymmetrical local multiplayer. Which is exactly what the two Ubisoft Wii U games that you've mentioned were focused on. Zombi U multiplayer and Rayman Legends were both about asymmetrical local multiplayer. Criterion even tried to force asymetrical multiplayer into their Need For Speed Most Wanted U port.

Nintendo knew exactly what they wanted to do with the gamepad, and they did it. The problem was that their plan did not excite the masses for very long, and they were not prepared in any way to support the hardware that they built early on from a different perspective.

I never really thought of multiplayer being the point, but yeah, I guess it was. ZombiU made good use of the second screen in single player though.
That reminds me, a third genuine disappointment I had was the lack of a Four Swords game.
http://www.mariomakerhub.com/makers/Rilakuma85

User Info: yahya_no_1

yahya_no_1
1 month ago#16
Not able to use 2 wii motes, that was a wasted opportunity
PSN:yahyano1

User Info: MajinSoulx

MajinSoulx
1 month ago#17
No exclusive Zelda game (BotW doesn't even make use of the gamepad like the 2 HD remakes do...) or not having a Metroid game. It's one of those.
PSN: UtoKid
opinions =|= facts

User Info: aliashubbatch

aliashubbatch
1 month ago#18
Smash 4 easily.

User Info: GeOstyle

GeOstyle
1 month ago#19
Lack of online. I mean come on no gamer tag/id. Something so I don’t have to re buy everything!
Fallen

User Info: dr_zomberg

dr_zomberg
1 month ago#20
lack of first party support on non "mainstream" franchises.
no f zero, no metroid game, no kirby game, no 3d mario game in the vein of super mario 64 (sunshine, galaxy, etc)
and other reasons already listed by other users
3d erotica maker, videogame collector, phd in zombie lore. Also a girl
"dont call gay art gay" -some mod. then WHAT is it, and WHATS its name????
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. What was the biggest disappointment of the Wii U for you?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived