What was the biggest disappointment of the Wii U for you?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. What was the biggest disappointment of the Wii U for you?

User Info: pwwnd123

pwwnd123
4 weeks ago#91
Frozenx07 posted...

The Wii U can play GameCube games natively. They already have the controller adapter. It boggles my mind why the f*** they didn't add GameCube games to the eShop. People would've bought a Wii U just for that.

I know right. They can implement that. It's so easy to do. As I said, Nintendo could have implemented the ability to create a virtual memory card for GameCube games.
A 2000s era gamer who grew up with retro technology from the 90s.

User Info: old-new72

old-new72
4 weeks ago#92
Gargomon251 posted...
old-new72 posted...
@Gargomon251

The Gamepad added to the cost. What is with you defending every little thing about the Wii U?

The gamepad added to the VALUE.

People keep b****ing about the wii u as if it was the atari jaguar or the virtual boy. Hell, Wii U OUTSOLD THE DREAMCAST.

How? How exactly did it add value? It only kept the cost at 300 for the rest of its run following the first price cut.

Regardless of it outselling the Dreamcast, kid, it failed. It is considered a very disappointing system. No marketing, titles that failed to impress, confusion of the system name, and other factors doomed the Wii U from the beginning. It did worse than any of Nintendo's home consoles.

You have very low standards.
"Super Mario Kart has better 3D graphics than Saturn games." The cranky hermit

User Info: Zenoth

Zenoth
4 weeks ago#93
Well, my disappointment with the Wii U was probably the underused GamePad screen as an actual intelligently-used feature for more games since it was the 'main' gimmick of the console. It reminded me of the Dreamcast's VMU to some extent, only to a larger scale (I.E. it was more of a problem for the Wii U to not have many games use it than it was for the VMU to stay in the shadow).

And I'm not just talking about off-TV play. But more about the screen as an integral part of a game that makes use of it intelligently as a feature in (or out of) and for the game. Something along the lines of Mario Maker. And of course how it COULD have been used for Breath of the Wild, not just for the map but also for the in-game photos feature, or could have been used as an actual in-game item reflected to us as the GamePad but to Link as some artifact in the game that allows him to see the map in 3D from a birds eye view, or things like that.

And so on and so forth (for so many other games). Because outside of the off-TV feature in and of itself very few developers even bothered to make use of the screen (or touch functionality of the screen) beyond the usual "Let's put the world map on it" concept.

And other than that, I'd say Star Fox Zero. Maybe I'm just getting too old, not sure. But SF64 was such a fantastic game, while Zero left me with a big "meh" just two or three hours into it. I could barely make it to the end, which I did but it wasn't with a smile on my face. But it's one rare screw up (for me anyway) for the big Nintendo franchises. I can let it pass for now since I'm not that much of a fan of the Star Fox franchise generally-speaking (although yes of course I loved SF64). However, I do hope that they'll bring a GOOD one for the Switch, and not at the end of its life span either.

User Info: pwwnd123

pwwnd123
4 weeks ago#94
old-new72 posted...
Gargomon251 posted...
old-new72 posted...
@Gargomon251

The Gamepad added to the cost. What is with you defending every little thing about the Wii U?

People keep b****ing about the wii u as if it was the atari jaguar or the virtual boy. Hell, Wii U OUTSOLD THE DREAMCAST.

How? How exactly did it add value? It only kept the cost at 300 for the rest of its run following the first price cut.

Regardless of it outselling the Dreamcast, kid, it failed. It is considered a very disappointing system. No marketing, titles that failed to impress, confusion of the system name, and other factors doomed the Wii U from the beginning. It did worse than any of Nintendo's home consoles.

It did worse than the GameCube did. It surpassed the GameCube in being Nintendo's least successful home console.

The Wii U was more of a confusion than SNES was to NES. But hey the SNES was still a success and sold slightly less than the NES due to the competition from Sega with the Genesis/Mega Drive. The Wii U failed because of how Nintendo failed to explain the system to the casuals unlike the SNES to NES customers back in the 90s.
A 2000s era gamer who grew up with retro technology from the 90s.

User Info: TsundereAmiChan

TsundereAmiChan
4 weeks ago#95
TheRushDawg posted...
How is the Wii U a GameCube? Are you making that claim because of the GC-to-Wii ports that it can play, as well as the HD Zelda remasters?

Uh there are some pretty easy ways to play GC games on the U.

Mods have a stick up their ass and delete any posts talking about it though :v
Come and join the new GameFAQs Sailor Moon board!
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1426-anime-and-manga-sailor-moon

User Info: Skill4Reel

Skill4Reel
4 weeks ago#96
grandabx posted...
It has the same game dev strategy as theSwitch.

Last minute after thought ports of third party games that were primarily developed for other consoles? Yep. You are correct.

User Info: Frozenx07

Frozenx07
4 weeks ago#97
old-new72 posted...
Gargomon251 posted...
old-new72 posted...
@Gargomon251

I personally feel that the gamepad was an important feature of the Wii U but even so, Nintendo should have quickly realized that gamers preferred the pro controller and focused more on that.

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
4 weeks ago#98
Frozenx07 posted...
Nintendo should have quickly realized that gamers preferred the pro controller and focused more on that.

I've been a gamer for over 25 years and I love the gamepad.

I think the kind of "gamers" you're talking about are the ones that wouldn't be likely to own a game console in the first place...
I'm sick of off topic threads and abusive mods.
u/Gargomon251

User Info: ArcFan10000

ArcFan10000
4 weeks ago#99
Not enough 3rd party games. That's my biggest gripe with the Wii U.
Fantastic system just lacked 3rd party games. I can't say it was like the Nintendo 64 because the N64 had plenty of 3rd party support except RPGs.
Favs: Persona, Final Fantasy,Tales series PSN: Brian_2030, Xbox Live: SEGAnerd776
Waiting For: Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy 7 Remake

User Info: old-new72

old-new72
4 weeks ago#100
@Gargomon251

Would you f***in stop? There is quite a bit of people that don't like the Gamepad, and you're damage controlling the negativity because your love of it clouds your judgement of how others feel about it. It goes beyond people who "wouldn't be likely to own a game console in the first place". Gamers and non-gamers don't care for the Gamepad. Get over it and deal with it.
"Super Mario Kart has better 3D graphics than Saturn games." The cranky hermit
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. What was the biggest disappointment of the Wii U for you?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived