This system is way better than Switch.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. This system is way better than Switch.

User Info: Skill4Reel

Skill4Reel
2 weeks ago#11
OgesMC posted...
I miss when people just played games for fun instead of nitpicking every little detail of games and systems.

Spending $300 plus tax on a new Nintendo console where it's main gimmick of being a portable is something that I don't care about is more than "a little detail."

I rushed out and bought a Wii U at launch because I saw the potential in the hardware for the kinds of games I like to play, and how I like to play them. I do not see the same things with the Switch. I can't speak for the person that started this topic, but I don't think that expressing this automatically makes it hate.

Rockies posted...

Being portable is nice. It seems like it's only the people who don't have a Switch that knock it, as I've seen tons of Switch owners saying that they use it undocked more than they would have thought. Even in your own home it's nice, what if you live with somebody who wants to use the TV? You can continue playing, but unlike with the Wii U you don't have to be tethered to the room with the TV.

It would seem that most people that did buy a Switch did so because they were sold on the home console turned portable gimmick. I however don't need to spend money on another device to make me realize how much I don't value portable gaming. I've purchased a 3DS in the past and it just sat there right next to my PSP that I also wasn't playing. The Switch is doing nothing different that is going to change my stance on portable gaming.

What sucks is that I did like playing Splatoon with the touch inputs on the Wii U gamepad's second screen. With a map on the controller in my hands that didn't require an additional button press to see. Unfortunately this has been sacrificed for the one thing that the Switch can do that I don't care about.

User Info: Xylvanian

Xylvanian
2 weeks ago#12
No. Both are amazing and both have its advantages and disadvantages.
Neither is better than the other in my opinion, although Switch is better
positioned in the market.

User Info: Arcade2

Arcade2
2 weeks ago#13
I own both, and I have been enjoying my Switch more than Wii U. Not to down the Wii U or anything. Both have Pros and Cons, like every system.

The Switch has been better for me as when I finish playing, I can easily take it with me and continue my game. It goes to work with me and I have to make a trip every month, so the Switch goes as well. Tried it with Wii U once, it didn't work out very well (playing on the gamepad was a plus, just too much to bring).

The Wii U has a solid library, and while it isn't hooked up to the TV (only one HDMI spot, which I have the Switch hooked in to right now), on the chance I do play, I use the gamepad, which was always a fantastic feature for my household.

Switch may not have the games, but given time, it will have a solid library I believe.

I will finish by saying this...I have heard people say the best compliment system to Switch is either PS4 or PC. I say Wii U is the best compliment system to Switch. With VC (for those who like it) and Wii BC...you can't go wrong on the Wii U as a buddy system with the Switch.

Both are excellent systems. If people prefer one over the other, that's fine with me. I always say, just play games and have fun. In the end, having fun is what REALLY matters, and it doesn't matter what system you play to have fun on. Enjoy your Wii U systems!

User Info: Rockies

Rockies
2 weeks ago#14
- Consoles have launched for $300 (or more) since at least the N64, despite 20 years of inflation, so that's an absurd complaint.
- Not everything is a f***ing gimmick. The portability is more like a feature. The word "gimmick" is just a crutch for lazy criticism.
- The Switch is capable of entirely different games than the 3DS. And if you don't like to use it portable, you don't have to. It's just an added bonus. Yeah, you might be exchanging something in performance/graphics, but the Wii/Wii U did the same s*** with specs, only with far less justification for it than the Switch.
- The vast majority of games have existed with one screen for decades and continue to be made that way. I think you can live without a second screen. It's a neat feature of the Wii U for sure, but so absurd to complain about it like that's the expectation.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

Rockies
2 weeks ago#15
Also, does anybody see the irony in the TC's complaint "Who has time for handheld crap?" I know it's just a figure of speech but that's literally the point of handhelds... they give you time to play video games when you otherwise wouldn't have had it.

User Info: shotgunheadshot

shotgunheadshot
2 weeks ago#16
Sorry for bad topic. Enjoy whichever console you own.

User Info: Skill4Reel

Skill4Reel
2 weeks ago#17
Rockies posted...
- Consoles have launched for $300 (or more) since at least the N64, despite 20 years of inflation, so that's an absurd complaint.
Who is complaining about the price? The complaint is paying for a console with a major feature/gimmick that I don't care for. No matter what it costs.

- Not everything is a f***ing gimmick. The portability is more like a feature. The word "gimmick" is just a crutch for lazy criticism.
You read it as criticism. I called home console portability a gimmick because that is what it is. Just as second screen gaming and just about everything else designed to make hardware stand out is a gimmick.

- The Switch is capable of entirely different games than the 3DS. And if you don't like to use it portable, you don't have to. It's just an added bonus. Yeah, you might be exchanging something in performance/graphics, but the Wii/Wii U did the same s*** with specs, only with far less justification for it than the Switch.

I've never mentioned performance or graphics. I liked second screen home console gaming a hell of a lot more than I do portable gaming.

- The vast majority of games have existed with one screen for decades and continue to be made that way. I think you can live without a second screen. It's a neat feature of the Wii U for sure, but so absurd to complain about it like that's the expectation.

LOL. So now you can tell other people that their gaming preferences don't matter? I didn't enjoy second screen home console gaming until Nintendo made it happen. Now I should be okay with them taking it away? Sorry, but I am not a sheep. A docked Switch is a home console with less features than the Wii U. I can live without that.

User Info: Endgame

Endgame
2 weeks ago#18
Switch has Super Mario Odyssey, and thus, already has one more good game than what Wii U will ever have.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert

User Info: G4meHawk

G4meHawk
2 weeks ago#19
As a person who got a wii u early 2013, I gotta say the switch is much better than this. Imo the Wii u wasn't worth having until mid/late 2014, and with the switch having 3rd party games like skyrim, doom, and DB xenoverse 2 I think its already surpassed the U. The portability of the switch isn't really a gimmick as you're taking powerful games on the go instead of watered down stuff like on 3ds. The only valid complaint I see is VC, but even that argument has grew tiresome (atleast to me). My stance on VC switch is that I 'd like it to come, but I gotta ask myself if its honestly necessary. Why do ppl think Nintendo need to string VC along with every console they make?

Rockies
2 weeks ago#20
Your criticism is bulls***, dude. You say you don't care about using it portable (and you don't have to), but then you hinge most of your complaints around the idea that it's a portable system and is therefore lesser. So somewhere in there it seems implied that the price and/or performance are a concern, but you claim they aren't.

The lack of two screens is a legitimate complaint, but it obviously didn't work out with the Wii U. Yes, you should be okay with them taking that idea away, Nintendo didn't want to make another flop.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. This system is way better than Switch.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.