How to get good graphics for Wii games when playing on the Wii U?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. How to get good graphics for Wii games when playing on the Wii U?

User Info: IIINCORRUPTIBLE

IIINCORRUPTIBLE
1 month ago#1
So I had an original Wii way back in the day and used the composite cables into a 720p HD TV, giving virtually all of my Wii games fairly excellent graphics. When playing some of the original (disc based) Wii games using the Wii U, some of the games look kind of rough. Is anyone able to get graphics through (with Wii games) on the Wii U that match up to something like in this video of Galaxy 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpZL4JLFWwY

Yes I'm using an HDMI cable and playing on a 1080p HD TV. Any thoughts on getter better Wii game graphics?
Injustice #1 Rank/Garden Warfare 2 #1 Rank/Gears of War 2 #1 Rank/17 Time Oddworld #1 Rank/MGS5 FOB #1 Rank/12 TIME WORLD RECORD HOLDER (twitch.tv/iiice_cold)

User Info: New Link

New Link
1 month ago#2
The Wii U does not upscale wii games. HDMI is the best it's going to look on a 1080p screen, but most don't have anti-aliasing. 480p is what the Wii was designed around, so any display higher than that you'll start to notice aliasing.

The only way to get them to look 1080p is with a different means of playing them which is frowned upon discussing on Gamefaqs.
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fngst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!

User Info: TheRushDawg

TheRushDawg
1 month ago#3
New Link posted...

The only way to get them to look 1080p is with a different means of playing them which is frowned upon discussing on Gamefaqs.

Hint: Ecco the
PSN: RushDawg
NNID: TheRushDawg

User Info: snikt6384

snikt6384
1 month ago#4
TheRushDawg posted...
New Link posted...

Hahahaha. Yeah. What he said. It's not really possible on Wii U. I play them on the console regardless but uh, that's the way to go if you want Wii U to look its best.

User Info: Aaron44126

Aaron44126
1 month ago#5
The Wii U scales the games from 480p to 1080p for display on your TV. It doesn't actually render the graphics in 1080p... It just takes the rendered 480p image and blows it up to 1080p.

You can try setting the Wii U output to 480p. Then, the scaling from 480p to 1080p will be handled by your TV rather than by the Wii U itself... Your TV might have a better scaler, the Wii U one is pretty rough.

User Info: Rockies

Rockies
1 month ago#6
I haven't been able to figure this out either. Honestly, I think the Wii U makes them look worse. I tend to get this sort of subtle crosshatching effect that I don't remember seeing on an actual Wii.

Well, I got an AV cable for my Wii U recently, but I haven't tried it yet on a game where I get that effect. So if I ever play one of those games again, I guess then I'll know if it makes a difference.

IIINCORRUPTIBLE
1 month ago#7
New Link posted...
The Wii U does not upscale wii games. HDMI is the best it's going to look on a 1080p screen, but most don't have anti-aliasing. 480p is what the Wii was designed around, so any display higher than that you'll start to notice aliasing.

I'm aware that many people run Nintendo Wii games at 480i, but that games were designed to only go as far as 480p, maximum, and that you cannot bring said games to 1080p. I'm asking the most effective way to get Wii games (played through the Wii U) to the level of graphical quality in the video that I posted, whether that be getting a special cable, changing TV settings, or even just changing TV's. And can you explain "aliasing"?
Injustice #1 Rank/Garden Warfare 2 #1 Rank/Gears of War 2 #1 Rank/17 Time Oddworld #1 Rank/MGS5 FOB #1 Rank/12 TIME WORLD RECORD HOLDER (twitch.tv/iiice_cold)

IIINCORRUPTIBLE
1 month ago#8
snikt6384 posted...
TheRushDawg posted...
New Link posted...

Hahahaha. Yeah. What he said. It's not really possible on Wii U. I play them on the console regardless but uh, that's the way to go if you want Wii U to look its best.

You need to learn how to read.

My original post is unedited, and I never asked to put Wii games in 1080. I'm looking for about the same quality that you get on the Wii U with the composite (or was it component?) cables that effectively upgrade the graphics to a solid 480p, instead of running the games at 480i. Playing Wii games on the U through a 1080p HD TV using an HDMI cable seems to downgrade their graphics a bit...

IIINCORRUPTIBLE
1 month ago#9
Aaron44126 posted...
The Wii U scales the games from 480p to 1080p for display on your TV. It doesn't actually render the graphics in 1080p... It just takes the rendered 480p image and blows it up to 1080p.

You can try setting the Wii U output to 480p. Then, the scaling from 480p to 1080p will be handled by your TV rather than by the Wii U itself... Your TV might have a better scaler, the Wii U one is pretty rough.

So you're suggesting that when I play Wii games I may need to change the in-console settings to 420p then switch them back to 1080p when using the U games? That could be a solution and I'll try it now.

IIINCORRUPTIBLE
1 month ago#10
@Aaron44126, what do you recommend between 16:9 and 4:3 when running Wii games on the U?
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. How to get good graphics for Wii games when playing on the Wii U?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived