If my external HDD is not being recognised anymore, what do I do?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. If my external HDD is not being recognised anymore, what do I do?

User Info: R_O_B_Sentry

R_O_B_Sentry
1 month ago#1
My HDD for the wii u is not being recognised anymore, the console behaves as if nothing has been plugged into it. The external HDD is a Toshiba 2TB drive and it connects via mains and USB. Please recommend something to me :( it has Smash Bros for Wii U along with Mario Kart 8, Sonic Racing Transformed and a lot of other games and their years of saved data on it.

Any pros in here?
Hi ! I'm Omochao. @_@ ) I'm here to help you.
Ah... My, my... <3 I foresaw your arrival, Mario. -- Merluvlee, Paper Mario

User Info: BrianCraigSmith

BrianCraigSmith
1 month ago#2
Turn off the Wii U. Double check all connections are secure and good to go. If that doesn't work, I think you can copy your data to a PC, format your hard drive, and copy it back from the PC.

Nintendo Customer Support is another option.
PSN: Handsomistic1 NNID: Handsomistic15
3DS FC: 2767-1438-6425

R_O_B_Sentry
1 month ago#3
Thank you, but it looks like I can't access the games and save data on a PC without a data recovery wizard software.

I think I will call Nintendo!

R_O_B_Sentry
1 month ago#4
Nintendo said it's not their problem, now what do I do? I never thought that HDD drives could even lose data this quickly

User Info: MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola
1 month ago#5
You could try a new enclosure for the HDD. Otherwise you are pretty sol unless you want to try recueing the data on a computer and transferring the data to a new drive. Ether way you should think about getting a new hard drive.
I like og Xbox so much I made a youtube about it.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdLoMsQgAsN0scmkQvievLA

User Info: Aaron44126

Aaron44126
1 month ago#6
You can't transfer the Wii U data to a PC. It uses a proprietary encrypted file system... If you plug a healthy drive into a PC, Windows will just ask you to format it.

It's sad, but unfortunately, there's not much that can be done in this case. No data recovery tools work with a Wii U formatted drive, and there's no way to transfer saves in and out of a Wii U anyway, aside from using the limited data management tools built-in.

Hard drives are mechanical and can die at any time... You should always treat them with that in mind. Unfortunately there's no really a backup solution for Wii U data. I think that the best thing that you can do for the Wii U is use a high-quality flash drive or SSD (less prone to failure than a HDD). Even though Nintendo doesn't recommend them, I've been running my Wii U off of a 256GB SSD for years without any trouble. "High-quality" is the operative term here, cheap-o flash drives will also run into problems quickly.

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
1 month ago#7
R_O_B_Sentry posted...
Thank you, but it looks like I can't access the games and save data on a PC without a data recovery wizard software.

You can't do that in any case.
All harddrives formatted by Wii U are fully encrypted. Only that specific Wii U (and Nintendo) are able to read them.

Aaron44126 posted...
there's no way to transfer saves in and out of a Wii U anyway,

Not entirely correct.
Wii U allows to make tons of backups yourself, because you can actually not only connect 1 harddrive to your system but multiple.

Second: Nintendo support told me some year ago or so that if the Wii U would bite the dust, I could send in my harddrives and they can make them work on a replacement Wii U.

That wont help OP obviously, because for him its the other way around. Should have made backups.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.

User Info: Rupin_Salesman

Rupin_Salesman
1 month ago#8
I'm having the exact same problem..
"I love going on message boards and complaining about games I've never played!"
- Francis, Super Paper Mario
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. If my external HDD is not being recognised anymore, what do I do?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived