You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
Supply and Use
- You only start with 1 Pulse Grenade on spawn, compared to Frag and Plasma grenades where you start with 2.
- You can hold 2 of every grenade.
- You throw all grenades equally fast.
- The delay between grenade throws is equal for all grenades. (1 second)
- All grenades fly in the same arch, and can thus travel the same throw distance.
- Plasma grenades bounce once when hitting the floor, frag grenades bounce until momentum is lost.
- Plasma grenades take longer to detonate than any other grenade. Frag grenades take 1 second to detonate after contact, plasma grenades take 1.5 seconds to detonate after contact, and pulse grenades detonate instantly on contact.
- Pulse grenades have the longest explosion, taking 3 seconds. Both Plasma and Frag grenades explosions last under 0.5 seconds.
- Grenades can be thrown as far as you like, and will never detonate in mid-air unless shot.
- Grenades only activate their detonation timer once they have hit the ground, a vehicle, or a Spartan. Grenades will not start their detonation timer when hit against walls or ceilings.
- Plasma Grenades do not stick to walls, ceilings or floors.
- Tested against a small dominion shield. All grenades destroy base shields at the moment of detonation. The Pulse grenade continues its 3 second explosion as normal.
- Grenades do not go through teleporters. All grenades are effected by gravity cannons.
- It takes the full duration of 2 pulse grenades to destroy a mongoose. Compared to Frag and Plasma grenades which take 4 explosions.
- Plasma Grenades are more powerful when stick to a vehicle, taking only 2 sticky explosions.
- The force of a grenade throw effects its bounce. Frag and Plasma Grenades bounce higher when thrown down at the ground while jumping or standing above the ground.
Against Live Spartan
- All grenades deal very small damage when hitting a Spartan or vehicle, making it possible to kill a Spartan by bonking them with a grenade or with the stick itself.
- Plasma Grenades stick to Spartans and Vehicles, Pulse and Frag grenades do not.
- Pulse Grenades detonate on contact on all hard surfaces, but do not detonate on contact with a Spartan or Vehicle.
- A point-blank explosion from a Frag Grenade will disable the shields of a Spartan at full shields, but will not kill them. Compared to a Plasma grenade, which will kill the Spartan. The final explosion from a Pulse Grenade will disable the Spartan's shields but not kill them.
- Unless hit by both the initial explosion of the Pulse Grenade and the final explosion, a fully shielded Spartan will not die from a Pulse Grenade.
- The Initial explosion of a Pulse grenade has no force and will not push Spartans or vehicles back. Only the final explosion from a Pulse Grenade has force.
- The Pulse Grenade's shield draining portion completely ignores the regeneration field's healing rate and continues draining shields at a normal rate even when inside.
- The Pulse Grenades full detonation will only disable the shields of a Mantis, but do no damage. Compared to a Frag Grenade, which takes two grenades to disable a Mantis' shield and the Plasma Grenade which only takes 1 grenade.
- Afters its shields are down, the Mantis will stagger when stuck with a Plasma Grenade. It will not stagger when hit by the explosion of either the Pulse or Frag grenades.
- It takes 10 frag grenades to destroy a Mantis. Compared to Plasma and Pulse Grenades, which take 5.
So my conclusion is this:
Plasma grenades deal more damage than frag grenades, and equal damage to the entire duration of a Pulse Grenade's explosion, making them the most powerful. Pulse Grenades are for delaying people, not killing. Frag grenades are for fast action completed with shots from your weapon.
For those curious about the other weapon testing series I've done, here's a list and a link for each:
DMR vs. BR
DMR vs. Light Rifle
DMR vs. Carbine
Assault Rifle vs. Suppressor
Assault Rifle vs. Storm Rifle
Magnum vs. Boltshot
Magnum vs. Plasma Pistol
I will be compiling all of these into a single, Loadout Weapon FAQ megathread later for your convenience.
Does the Explosives perk significantly affect the grenades? Or is it just a damage boost? Anyways, good topic.
Posting from my smartphone, I'm trolling from the future!
This is very handy, thank you for the thorough comparison.
('` | \ / |;;; |\ | ('`` |;;;\ ../ |;;; |\ | Six en Seven
.,) | / \ |,,, | \|. .,).|,,, \,,/ |,,,.| \|Gt: Crown 0f Thorns
You think the Carbine fires as fast as you can pull the trigger.
Like Im going to read any of your other analyses.
Hmm, frags have always been the strongest in the past haven't they? Looks like I'll be loading plasma's.
XBL/PSN GT: dweeeeb
You think the Carbine fires as fast as you can pull the trigger.
Test it and prove me wrong. You are encouraged fully to check my work, and any proven inaccuracies will be acknowledged. The data will be edited and the information will be credited to you.
I'm doing this for the sake of the people playing, not to win some petty argument stowed somewhere in the depths of this board. I'm open to criticism and thoughts on improving this information.
Edit: I'll hold off on posting the compilation topic for you, Duwstai. I await your results eagerly.
From: SterlingFox | #007
Duwstai posted...You think the Carbine fires as fast as you can pull the trigger.
How did you even come to that conclusion?
Its extremely clear that it isnt. The fact that the kill times are consistent prove it isnt. If it was just as fast as you could pull the trigger, there would be variances with the kill times, because of human error.
This is what a weapon with no set fire rate looks like. This was just the first video that popped up, I played WaW and the fire rate was always fast. go look up any gameplay with that same weapon and you will see a much much much faster rate of fire than the carbine.
I would REALLY like to know how you erroneously came to this conclusion, because none of your data supports it.
pulse grenades suck. like real bad. ive NEVER had one kill me and im rank 56.
i have really bad luck sticking people mos tof the time, maybe lag? i dunno.
so ive been sticking with frags
There were variances, and 4 seconds reflects the average. People understand 4 seconds better than "It took 3.91 seconds, and then another time it took 3.97 seconds".
Thats not a test, Dubai. Its you arguing in angry desperation and posting a senseless youtube link, and it's being done not in the name of information or helping others but because you want to throw yourself a little party in your head and yank your dick to the thought that you're right.
Go do a test, prove me wrong. Right now you're typing words, but they have no substance at all.
Add user to Ignore List after reporting