Zelda shoudl change? Isn't that why Skyward Sword was less popular?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Zelda shoudl change? Isn't that why Skyward Sword was less popular?

User Info: Ifeno

Ifeno
4 years ago#11
I freaking loved SS >.>

The 1:1 controls were super fun and all the little cameos and backstory were exactly what I was expecting from an Ocarina prequel.
~Ifeno - The Wandering Merchant~
Proud to be an OG of the Original Shiny Pokemon Guild. Shiny Guild trades: 7 Sol Dollars: 14

User Info: blubb444

blubb444
4 years ago#12
They just can't make it right for everyone.
Remember the reaction to MM and WW? "Too much change, too different from OoT, this game sucks!"
TP? "Too similar to OoT, this game sucks! Try something new!"
SS? "Eww motion controls? I want my 40-year-old button mashing back! This game sucks!"
Of course it's always a vocal minority dissatisfied with one game that screams the loudest and overshadows the majority who still enjoys most if not all of the games.
Personally I don't want them to go back to OoT style controls (as you may have figured) but I won't give the game a 1/10 if they do.

User Info: SolidKnight

SolidKnight
4 years ago#13
All games need some level of change between sequels but Skyward Sword focused too much on elements that people found annoying or, at the very least, nothing to rave about.

User Info: MetalKirbyPlush

MetalKirbyPlush
4 years ago#14
I don't think SS really changed up a lot at the core, it merely added things that both did and didn't work. What's being talked about now is actually changing up the core we've had since OoT (or LA, as a less referenced and earlier example). I had feared that Aonuma would never look back on the oldest Zelda conventions due to his difficulty with the games but I'm glad to see that he's taken interest in probably the most important aspect of the original LoZ.
Samus ruined Metroid forever. She keeps killing them. ~CTsChoco

User Info: Metal_Mercenary

Metal_Mercenary
4 years ago#15
Virtually every 3D Zelda has virtually been a retread of Ocarina of Time, following the same structure and same gameplay, except Majora's Mask which was made just 18 months after Ocarina of Time and was far more unique than its successors. The idea of going back to Zelda's roots and establishing more free roaming gameplay sounds like a fantastic idea. The 3D experience of Zelda has been too close to Ocarina of Time and needs to move away to provide a more dynamic, modern experience. A good story would also be nice as well, not the half-arsed efforts of every game not called Majora's Mask.
"The Great Depression ended when Dave Mustaine decided that business was good."- ysqure3

User Info: Bahamut_10th

Bahamut_10th
4 years ago#16
Aonuma mentioned how SS was too linear.

Meaning the next Zelda has a good chance of being more open-world like people have been asking for.

I disagree with SS's changes being bad. The only thing that I don't want to return even if I liked it was the way we explored the world. Like he said, there was little room for exploration, and there was too much emptiness in the sky.

Things SS brought that I WANT in the next Zeldas:
-Motion control for combat and items
-Equipment upgrade and potion brewing - Preferably greatly improved
-Dash and stamina
-Harder game mode (Not refering to it as "Hero" mode because someone will bring WW up...)
-Save points
-Dungeon pacing - Less rooms with more thought put into each >>> Huge dungeons full of repeatitive challenges/just monsters from past games
-Hearts and ruppees being harder to find in the grass
-Something akin to the dragon Arena

Things SS brought that I DON'T WANT in the next Zeldas:
-Motion controls for pretty much everything but combat/items
-Fragmented and linear world exploration
-Static day and night... not to mention limited to the town
-Only 1 real town
-Mogmas, kikwis, and any overabundance of weirdass races that look like they dominate Hyrule
-Robot characters
-An assistant who doesn't lets me think for myself

User Info: Ame_no_Murakumo

Ame_no_Murakumo
4 years ago#17
Skyward Sword is an amazing game, in my opinion. Love it.
Playing: Guild Wars 2, Darksiders, Hexyz Force, The 3rd Birthday and FFIV: CC
Steam: KnightSaziel | 3DS FC: 5456-0205-3948

User Info: Bahamut_10th

Bahamut_10th
4 years ago#18
Ame_no_Murakumo posted...
Skyward Sword is an amazing game, in my opinion. Love it.

It's my 2nd most loved Zelda.

But it does has things I don't want to see again.

User Info: MajinKogahazan

MajinKogahazan
4 years ago#19
LordAlistair posted...
SS made changes, the problem is none of them were good changes.

Yeah, unlike previous games SS tried to change the formula. The problem is that it changed the wrong things in the wrong direction.

Nonlinear dungeons sounds like a good idea so long as the core gameplay is kept, but I still think the game will need something else to keep things fresh while not alienating older fans.
Read a Nuzlocke by me and a friend at: http://blue-heracross.deviantart.com/
Dubs>Subs

User Info: AlbinoCrocodile

AlbinoCrocodile
4 years ago#20
A majority of Zelda fans are retarded. You can't please them all.

I thought Skyward was great.
Miss Albino at your service...
Not really.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Zelda shoudl change? Isn't that why Skyward Sword was less popular?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived