CONFIRMED: There will be no female playable character!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. CONFIRMED: There will be no female playable character!

User Info: Zonbei

Zonbei
1 year ago#211
AfroPrime posted...
Zonbei posted...
And a much vaster number of respected characters in gaming are male. Most games star male leads. So because we made a little bit of headway, and got some respected characters and some games, we should just call it a day?

Not saying that, I'm saying it's not a real issue. There are millions of video games available to play at any given time and lots of them star likable female leads. Shoehorning character decisions to pander to an audience is bad, plain and simple.

Being so focused on your characters' gender doesn't seem very healthy to me, either. I'm a man who has played hundreds of video games where I controlled male characters, female characters, frogs, wolves, toys, blobs, and even a piece of f***ing toast and not once has my experience been sullied because my character wasn't a gender I identified with.
The mistake with this 'equality' agenda is how much the gender itself is the focus instead of the character's personality and values. It's a shame that so many designers simply had a huge stretch of bad taste when designing females, I can't deny that, but to pretend that there's some massive divide in gaming between the genders anymore is delusional.

If I had any problem with the last generations of video game lead characters, it would be that they all look the same, not their gender. I'm referring to the large bald angry guy archetype, but of course the "guy" part of that statement is where everyone puts their cross hairs which isn't fair at all.

The key part there is "I'm a man."

You literally have no conception of the idea that other people's experiences could be different than yours because of their gender, apparently. Representation doesn't matter as much to you, because you are already represented in SO MUCH MEDIA.
It's a luscious mix of words and tricks, that let us bet, when we know we should have folded.
3DS Friend Code: 3952-7649-7276

Zonbei
1 year ago#212
Jakerific44 posted...
Zonbei posted...
Jakerific44 posted...

But at the end of the day, you can still tell that he's Link. Turning him female would ruin that, and make him different.

WHY. Why would that ruin that. Give me a good reason. Explain HOW exactly making link female would ruin the spirit of his character. How it would make him so different that it would destroy the character. Could someone please just give me ONE good reason, instead of just simply stating that it would ruin him as if its a fact, with nothing to back it up.

It would cause him to look very different. I don't care if you say that Link looks feminine now, did you see him with his shirt off? He's a guy. He's always been. Always had dirty blonde-blonde hair (after LttP, which really established the Zelda Series). Always had pointy ears. Always blue eyes. No breasts. No curves.
Yes, he isn't left handed anymore. But that doesn't mean anything. That means either 1) he was ambidextrous or 2) gameplay reasons or 3) that really isn't as drastic as changing his entire body.

Females ARE different from males. And it makes them beautiful for it. But Link doesn't need to be female.

How does looking different change the character of Link, or the spirit of the hero? He looks different already in this game. That isn't a reason why making him female would destroy the character. You literally just said, in so many words, "it would be bad if Link was female because then Link would be female."
It's a luscious mix of words and tricks, that let us bet, when we know we should have folded.

User Info: DemPolygons

DemPolygons
1 year ago#213
SpreadManning posted...
DemPolygons posted...
SpreadManning posted...
Stay mad bitterbeard

I'm not mad. Read closer, kid. There's no reason to be so defensive.
I do think you need a nap. Baby is cranky.

You are clearly asshurt over the no womyn Link news.

Again, stay mad.

And again, read closer. Did I ever specify what I wanted? No.
I was talking about respecting other's opinions if you want your opinions respected in turn. Though a foul mouthed child like you probably has no respect to give. I doubt you know what respect even is, kiddo.
As long as it sounds like an opinion you can say whatever offensive and insulting thing you want on GameFAQS.

User Info: daniel1232323

daniel1232323
1 year ago#214
AceMos posted...
again i ask this if link is not a vatar why keep him mute

So hes mute. That doesnt mean hes an avatar. Is issac from deadspace an avatar? Is mario an avatar? Is chrono from chrono trigger an avatar?

Most of these games the characters show personality through their emotions and facial expressions. Wind waker, twilight princess. Hell link crys in skyward sword.

Mario games i can think of the rpgs. Specially super mario rpg. Hes a bit goofy with his expressions anf the way he explains what happens. Lol.

Im sure nintendo has plans on links personality in this one. Like they have been giving him since they became graphicaly able too.
you want mother in america? don't you know? it doesn't exist.

User Info: Board_hunter567

Board_hunter567
1 year ago#215
Can we finally stop taking Emily Rogers seriously now?
http://i.imgur.com/szMsu.png
Validate your purchases and discredit the purchases of others whenever possible. Numbers objectively define quality and enjoyment.

User Info: SpreadManning

SpreadManning
1 year ago#216
DemPolygons posted...
SpreadManning posted...
DemPolygons posted...
SpreadManning posted...
Stay mad bitterbeard

I'm not mad. Read closer, kid. There's no reason to be so defensive.
I do think you need a nap. Baby is cranky.

You are clearly asshurt over the no womyn Link news.

Again, stay mad.

And again, read closer. Did I ever specify what I wanted? No.
I was talking about respecting other's opinions if you want your opinions respected in turn. Though a foul mouthed child like you probably has no respect to give. I doubt you know what respect even is, kiddo.

Lmao this guy. Such an entertaining meltdown.

User Info: Jakerific44

Jakerific44
1 year ago#217
Zonbei posted...
Jakerific44 posted...
Zonbei posted...
Jakerific44 posted...

But at the end of the day, you can still tell that he's Link. Turning him female would ruin that, and make him different.

WHY. Why would that ruin that. Give me a good reason. Explain HOW exactly making link female would ruin the spirit of his character. How it would make him so different that it would destroy the character. Could someone please just give me ONE good reason, instead of just simply stating that it would ruin him as if its a fact, with nothing to back it up.

It would cause him to look very different. I don't care if you say that Link looks feminine now, did you see him with his shirt off? He's a guy. He's always been. Always had dirty blonde-blonde hair (after LttP, which really established the Zelda Series). Always had pointy ears. Always blue eyes. No breasts. No curves.
Yes, he isn't left handed anymore. But that doesn't mean anything. That means either 1) he was ambidextrous or 2) gameplay reasons or 3) that really isn't as drastic as changing his entire body.

Females ARE different from males. And it makes them beautiful for it. But Link doesn't need to be female.

How does looking different change the character of Link, or the spirit of the hero? He looks different already in this game. That isn't a reason why making him female would destroy the character. You literally just said, in so many words, "it would be bad if Link was female because then Link would be female."

NO. If Link was bald, I'd be pissed. If Link was a Goron, I'd be pissed. If Link was super tall or something, I'd be pissed. Skin, eyes, hair, height, gender- it DOES make a character different. Link still, at his core, looks VERY SIMILAR to his previous iterations. Pull your biased head out of your @ss, please.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/HikariJake

User Info: Zanthion

Zanthion
1 year ago#218
Zonbei posted...
Rizeroth posted...
Quiet_Noise posted...
People aren't clamoring for a male Samus, and her personality and characteristics are as blank of a slate as Link's save Other M, which the fanbase widely regards as, well ... awful.

People aren't clamoring for a male bayonetta (and they never should) but your samus quote was a better comparison.

It's almost as if there's a gender imbalance in gaming, and people want a shift towards equal representation, not away from it.

I don't understand people like you. If there is an imbalance as you say, why not do something about it? Literally the only thing I ever hear out of the mouths of people like you is complaints. "I don't like the way this is, so I want someone to change it." "Anybody who doesn't want X to change in the same way I do is being repressive and ought to feel ashamed." No one at Nintendo ever said that Link was going to be a female, or that there would be an option to change his gender. No one did. People like you have been sitting around for the last couple of years, and during that time you managed to convince yourselves of something that wasn't true. Now that your balloon has a hole in it, you're going back to the whole line of "This is so terrible. This isn't socially progressive at all. How will young girls view themselves if they can't play as a girl in a video game that is an entry in a 30-year-old series that has never, ever, ever allowed any to be playable but the very definitely male character?"

Why is it so difficult for you to understand the holes in your own reasoning? You are asking an extremely conservative Japanese company that has very different morals, values, and goals than you do to fundamentally change an extremely critical aspect of one of its longest-running series for your own benefit. And you do so without batting an eye to what sort of response this will provoke in the audience of potentially millions of paying customers. And any time a member of that audience speaks up in a way that does not agree with your own views, you demonize that person and say they hate women. You completely shut down any type of discussion that could possibly be had. Anyone who does not agree with you is bad and regressive and should be shunned. Don't you understand how distateful of a stance that is?

I've been playing Zelda games literally since they first became available in English. I have an extensive history with this series. I would put my knowledge of this series' inner workings up against literally anybody else who speaks the English language. And I don't have any clue where you're coming from. The Zelda games were fundamentally a boys' adventure series from Day One. Now you're saying that's bad, and it needs to be changed. Well, guess what? I don't agree.

There are TONS AND TONS of tv shows, books, and movies coming out today that give young girls plenty of options when it comes to finding girl characters they can identify with. In fact, I would argue that we're actually in a bit of crisis right now when it comes to finding material for young boys, not girls. Since boys' stuff is largely seen as evil these days, it's not being made or published like it used to be (and even when it is, it's in a watered-down form). I have four nieces and three nephews, and I can tell you firsthand my nieces are not lacking for entertainment media to consume, but with the boys I tend to have to go back to stuff that's getting to be twenty or more years old. The fact that the Legend of Zelda series is still primarily a boys' adventure series (at least for one more game), is absolutely something that I'm going to celebrate.

And if you think that makes me a terrible person, go right ahead. I don't have a very high opinion of you, either.

Zonbei
1 year ago#219
Jakerific44 posted...
Zonbei posted...
Jakerific44 posted...
Zonbei posted...
Jakerific44 posted...

NO. If Link was bald, I'd be pissed. If Link was a Goron, I'd be pissed. If Link was super tall or something, I'd be pissed. Skin, eyes, hair, height, gender- it DOES make a character different. Link still, at his core, looks VERY SIMILAR to his previous iterations. Pull your biased head out of your @ss, please.

Okay so you don't actually have any reasons then. I'm shocked.

User Info: AfroPrime

AfroPrime
1 year ago#220
Zonbei posted...
The key part there is "I'm a man."

There it is. Now everything I say towards this discussion has become meaningless simply because I'm male.
That's some damn fine equality you're pushing, well done.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. CONFIRMED: There will be no female playable character!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived