My Zelda game - Yes, it'd be realistic/anime looking and dark, but NOT rated M

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. My Zelda game - Yes, it'd be realistic/anime looking and dark, but NOT rated M

User Info: Jakerific44

Jakerific44
1 year ago#1
I will share a link to my blog post here but it is almost the same exact thing (with some anime references) as the text in this post, but with pictures and even more in-depth thoughts: http://animehikarijake.blogspot.com/2016/11/how-i-would-make-zelda-game-yes-itd-be.html

Now with that out of the way...
"Nintendrones" seem to be under the impression that if a game looks realistic and has a darker story, then that automatically means an edgedark M-rated game with t*** and blood galore.
What the hell? Why does that need to be the case?
I don't know if you're familiar with Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood? Or even the original '03 anime? Those two shows are dark and mature as hell, but both have mild language, absolutely minimal sex (Brotherhood has no sex and 2 very mild bath scenes, FMA03 has implied rape but it's only implied), and in Brotherhood's case, a very hopeful story.
Zelda could have a game like that.

Darkness does not need to equal the exclusion of splendor and hope.
My Zelda game would have the darkest story of the franchise by far, with actual loss and threats. Ganondorf would be vile and would actually kill.
There would be less fanservice and suggestive themes than Hyrule Warriors; MAYBE an implied romantic sex scene near the end with Link and his lover, but nothing would be shown other than a passionate kiss.
Violence would be plenty but nothing that would garner an M rating. Blood would be little more than Ocarina of Time; Deku plants and insects and the like would have green blood, but Moblins and birds or Keese or whatever would have red blood. Ocarina of Time had enemies splurt a bit of green blood; I'd amplify that with more Monster Hunter type blood effects where the sword truly seems like it has weight and gouges into the enemy with blood gushing from their veins.

My Zelda game would be filled with utter despair and evil.
Yet there would still be...
Hope.
Link would be the light in the dark world. The Hero.

A truly dark Zelda game with epic battles accompanied by music such as the Twilight Symphony, with emotional character relationships and tragedies, and a triumphant ending for Link, would be the most goddamn amazing thing ever made. This is why I'd be okay with an M rated Zelda, if it was how we described it. Mature doesn't have to be sex and cussing. BUT, I've stated before that we could have all of this but still make it a T rated game. That'd totally be possible.
Basically, make it in the style of Twilight Princess with more personality for Link and some truly darker conflicts regarding actual death, genocide, and even some political drama with the Hylian Royal Family vs tribes such as the Gerudo.

For Link's character, imagine ideals of saving everyone and holding others in a higher standard than himself.
Link is a very loving person who would gladly help others in need. This would cause conflict, however, when people take advantage of him, or he puts off a date with his lover (I'm thinking Malon lol) in order to finish a quest.
My Link would start off with the physique of Twilight Princess and grow more muscular and even a bit scarred throughout the game.
In any artwork of Link, he wouldn't look emo and mopey like Cloud Strife or every edgy hero these days; he'd puff his chest out proudly with his head held high in dignity.

Link would grow from a selfless teen struggling to find his identity into a valiant, heroic man who vows to succeed in accomplishing his ideals.
He'll have Golden Gauntlets or Power Bracelets as an item, but somehow, later in the game, he'd lose them. But guess what? He'd be freakin' ripped at that point and wouldn't really need them. That's the kind of badass man Link would become. (To be continued)
http://myanimelist.net/profile/HikariJake

Jakerific44
1 year ago#2
Link will struggle against the loneliness and despair of adventuring through a ruined world into the depths of hellish dungeons, the chaos of the villains, being framed as a wanted criminal, and making time to spend with the people he loves, all while trying to fix everyone's problems in countless sidequests; sidequests would be the meat of the game, , and every sidequest would have epic stories in the like of Elder Scrolls. They wouldn't be simple fetch quests, but mini stories within the main plot with beginning, middle, lots of climaxes, and an intense, rewarding end that would give you an item.

Dungeons will not have an item, as that never did make sense to me. Where the hell do the items come from? Why is there a random chest with a magical/powerful item in the middle of a cryptic, monster infested dungeon, anyways?
No, you'll get an item as a reward for the sidequest.
Pieces of Hearts and Bottles will be hidden along the way.

Minigames would be absolutely optional.
I hate minigames. I just want to play the main game, dammit! So the main story and all of the major sidequests would have no minigames, just action packed fighting and riveting puzzle solving.
That's something that this game would be: intense, riveting adventure. There will be some moments of peace (usually revolving romance or relationship development), but the majority will be borderline stressful, high tensity, and you will feel what it means to be the one and only overworked hero who strives to save everyone.

The music would be heroic and blood-pumping throughout, like "Don't Want You No More", The Dark World theme, and Twilight Princess' Hyrule Field.
With the exception of Kakariko Village, Zelda's Lullaby, Great Fairy Fountain, Lon Lon Ranch, and maybe Lake Hylia, of course. And cutscenes will have whatever music to fit the tone of the scene; but I was referring to gameplay segments.
Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess had too many peaceful, happy-go-lucky songs, which is fine, but I want more Link to the Past feel, where every moment the music makes you shout, "HELL YEAH! I'm on an adventure!!"

As you can tell, this game would be non-stop adreniline rushing action with a story full of dread, with you, Link, being the one bit of light, a glimmer of hope in the dark world. And what a dark world it would be. Ganondorf wouldn't pull any punches in this game. His army of beasts would make even a courageous hero shriek in terror. No Eldritch Abominations like in Bloodborne, per se, although maybe there'd be a few.
Honestly though? Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess already have phenomenal examples of terrifying monsters. I'd take inspiration of that for my Zelda's horrifying monsters.

(To be continued)

Jakerific44
1 year ago#3
Zelda should never become horror, but the dungeons and enemies should be scary, and evil. Evil should definitely be terrifying. You want to chop Dead Hand and Bongo Bongo up into bits for tormenting you and your loved ones. For terrorizing your precious kingdom of Hyrule.
You'll grow to love your country and its people and want to protect them along with Link. If you screw up, the game overs would be depressing and a bit screwed up, in the vein of Majora's Mask, but a bit more personal than "the moon destroys the world." Every sidequest would have different game overs, whether a loved one gets killed or Link dies in a horrid way (not showing all of the graphic details so that the game could stay T).

Story and sidestories would be a huge part of the game, and there would be plenty of cutscenes. It'd be a very long game. But unlike other 'movie' games like Uncharted where you're practically playing a movie and walking down linear paths with thrills and shooting segments here and there, this game would have a world the size of Twilight Princess, but more packed. No, Breath of the Wild, I don't give a damn about your colossal open world. Give me the epic feeling of adventure and have secrets crammed everywhere like in Link to the Past or the original Zelda. I know you wanted to make a game with the original's feel, but without the adventurous music and relatively compact world, it loses its soul of 'Zelda'.

The controls and gravity would feel like Tomb Raider or Uncharted, in the way you move.
Link would have realistic animations and the way that you jump and climb would feel like those games. Link, if running for a while, would try to catch his breath when you stop walking. Everything would feel smooth, the sword swings would have weight. No jump button like in Breath of the Wild; it'd go back to automatic jumps as you run off of a surface.

I think I've covered most of it; one last thing I'd like to briefly cover is the romance.
I love romance. Link should have a partner in my opinion, someone who he wants to protect. I wouldn't have it be Zelda, although Link may have a crush on her for a bit until he finally realizes who he truly loves: Malon.
I love Malon, and having a fleshed-out relationship between her and Link would be wonderful.

OH! One more thing, actually. Link would talk.
No EXCUUUUUUUSE ME PRINCESS. No I WONDER WHAT GANON'S UP TO. Stop using those as excuses not to have Link talk.
It's the 21st century now. Nintendo could damn well hire some top notch voice directors and actors, with the truckloads among truckloads of money they have. Link would get a talented voice actor who sounds valiant, cool, manly, heroic, and who can scream and grunt, a man who could make a girl's heart melt in romantic scenes. Off the top of my head? Marc Diraison, Guts' English voice actor. Crispin Freeman, Kyon from Haruhi, Alucard from Hellsing. Vic Mignogna, Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist. There are so many talented voice actors who could pull off an inspirational humble, kind-hearted man with a rageful side during battle, and an ambition to change the world for the better, which is exactly what my Link would be.

(To be continued)

Jakerific44
1 year ago#4
Let's recap what my perfect Zelda game would have, with a few more bullet points (essentially, a TL;DR):

-Expand on and explore Hyrule's rich lore, which Nintendo has failed to properly do

-Realistic environments; basically, a modern day rendtition of Ocarina of Time's graphical style and character design, like this video by an incredibly talented fan, CryZENx:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFx38t4ydY0

-A very dark story with horrifying villains and disturbing monsters, but with hope and heroism triumphing over evil at the end of every subplot and the main story

-Link is a character who grows, develops, from a teenager with good intentions into a battle-hardened, yet still kind-hearted man who fulfills his dreams and overcomes every obstacle (honestly, for Link's personality? Read Akira Himekawa's Ocarina of Time manga. He'd be very similar to that!)

-Lots of sidequests with epic stories to cement Link's character of giving his all in order to help every person he can.

-Items will be received from quests, not dungeons.

-Minigames will never be mandatory and all weapons and major items will be obtained through quests. Minigames may give rupees, bottles, or Pieces of Heart, although there will be lots of hidden bottles and Pieces of Hearts elsewhere.

-Fast paced, intense, riveting pacing where you are constantly in need in order to help and save others.

-Mostly adventurous, heroic music during gameplay, like Link to the Past. No peaceful music during gameplay with few exceptions.

-Develop connections with side characters and grow a fondness for certain locations so that you'll have a greater reason to defeat evil and save your beautiful, precious kingdom of Hyrule.

-Densely-packed world, the size of Twilight Princess, give or take.

-Gravity and movement mechanics with fluid character animation for Link in the vein of the modern Tomb Raider or Uncharted.

-Auto-jump like pre-Breath of the Wild Zelda (Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword, where you jump as you approach the edge of a platform)

-Romance between Link and Malon where she becomes his main motive to live and save the kingdom

-Link talking, but still staying reserved and humble; he wouldn't be annoying, and he'd get a top notch voice actor with a relatively deep, manly voice (not deep but I want him to sound like Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword; around that level of deepness)

That about sums it up.
If a Zelda game was like this, I can guarantee it would be held as the greatest adventure game ever made. It would have everything you could want: good triumphing evil, action, adventure, a cool and honorable main character, heartwarming romance, beautiful scenery that feels real and alive, kickass music, and smooth gameplay.
A dark story with hope. A story of the ages. A true legend.
I really hope that, someday, we get a Zelda game like this.

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

Jakerific44
1 year ago#5
I just wanted to share this with anyone here who may be interested in Zelda game ideas from those dissatisfied with the direction the series is taking, or even for those who are just curious in how others would handle the series. I'd be interested in reading anyone's criticisms or ideas about my 'game', or even ideas for your own dream Zelda game. Although considering that this is GameFAQs, I have a feeling no one will be interested; then again, I haven't been here in ages so maybe the community is better?

User Info: 0sinium

0sinium
1 year ago#6
It's an alright idea, but I think one of the core subjects of the series is innocence. A young man in a magical world leaving his hometown to fight odd yet not particularly terrifying monsters and saving the kingdom. A childish (in a good way) game about adventure.
Nice b8 m8, 2 bad I can't rel8.
Only sad people h8, now stop putting your time to w8ste and go b8ke me some c8ke.-SimonBlueBerry

Jakerific44
1 year ago#7
0sinium posted...
It's an alright idea, but I think one of the core subjects of the series is innocence. A young man in a magical world leaving his hometown to fight odd yet not particularly terrifying monsters and saving the kingdom. A childish (in a good way) game about adventure.

I like your insight; innocence is indeed a core aspect of Zelda. My idea would certainly be more intense, but as I've said, heroism would always triumph.

If I may ask, did you find Twilight Princess or Majora's Mask to be 'innocent'?

User Info: 0sinium

0sinium
1 year ago#8
Jakerific44 posted...
0sinium posted...

I like your insight; innocence is indeed a core aspect of Zelda. My idea would certainly be more intense, but as I've said, heroism would always triumph.

If I may ask, did you find Twilight Princess or Majora's Mask to be 'innocent'?

Yes.
Nice b8 m8, 2 bad I can't rel8.
Only sad people h8, now stop putting your time to w8ste and go b8ke me some c8ke.-SimonBlueBerry

User Info: fellangelshadow

fellangelshadow
1 year ago#9
A game being the best is a matter of opinion and endlessly debated. Some people will love it and some will hate it, that is all.

Art style is a matter of preference. Photo-realism is not everything, and just because something is bright and cutesy doesn't mean it can't get dark fast.

A game doesn't have to be gory or full of sex to be mature. But loss of innocence and a poorly defined romance seem to be the only story elements you mentioned. The lone prophesied hero rising from nothing to save the kingdom is pretty much cliché now, have you considered factions that fight beside you but separate? Might be nice if some NPCs did something themselves.

Personally, I like a jump button rather than scripted but again, personal preference.

Ambient music is meant to fit the location/scene. You may not like tranquil music but it is meant to fit a calming safe zone. If all the music had the same beat and tone, you might start to tune it out, and it would be harder to emphasize tense moments.

Asset (activities/mini-games/objects) density is limited by the developers and hardware limits. I don't like big empty areas, but people want space so things don't feel cramped and overly busy. Also, too much in the same space slows the framerate.

Link doesn't speak because the developers feel it is more immersive without him "putting words in the players' mouths". This is also why he has minimal expression. Nothing to do with finding the right voice actor.

I think you have a good start, keep going.
People make me snarky.

User Info: Weltall8000

Weltall8000
1 year ago#10
Jakerific44 posted...
My Zelda game would be filled with utter despair and evil.
Yet there would still be...
Hope.

It's been said that, "Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."

Anyways, in response to your posts as a whole, this sounds like something one might say if they grew up playing Legend of Zelda and wanted it to grow up with them. I'd like a more mature game and I feel like in some regards they have been edging this way somewhat with the 3D titles, but I don't see it getting to the point you're talking any time soon (if ever) nor do most of your suggestions really strike me as warranted or particularly interesting. (I do agree that Link should get an actual voice, but just about everything else on that topic, like the voice talent, I don't agree on.)

Jakerific44 posted...
No, Breath of the Wild, I don't give a damn about your colossal open world. Give me the epic feeling of adventure and have secrets crammed everywhere like in Link to the Past or the original Zelda. I know you wanted to make a game with the original's feel, but without the adventurous music and relatively compact world, it loses its soul of 'Zelda'.

What? Putting aside the apparent self contradiction, being a grand world helps give the feel of it being epic. For that matter, LoZ had a pretty large game world for its day. And not every single room was jacked full of stuff, nor should it have been. Like with music, part of what makes it good is the empty spaces. Having areas that simply are, makes the world believable yes, but also gives contrast to the other areas which are filled with action or mystery. It helps create a sense of pacing.

Suffice it to say, I'm not on board with your wishlist and/or reasoning overall.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. My Zelda game - Yes, it'd be realistic/anime looking and dark, but NOT rated M

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived