Did Link in Breath of the Wild have to be male?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Did Link in Breath of the Wild have to be male?

User Info: DaniHatch

DaniHatch
6 months ago#51
Gaawa_chan posted...
More options = bad, apparently.

Huh? I don't get what this is referencing.

I think that the option to have a female Link and a male Link would be good.

That would be more options.

I view that as good. But that's just me.

Most of the discussion here was to be about if Link's gender was really important in the story and why not allowing a gender choice may or may not have impacted the story.

To me, more choice = good. But this is about whether it could have fit in BotW.

I don't claim that allowing the player to play a male or female is essential but I would argue that it would not hurt or really affect the story so it would be mostly a positive. But I also admit that adding in such an option if it harms the narrative would be bad. I wanted to discuss it with other fans so I brought it up here.

So far we honestly haven't talked about if Links gender was important beyond pronouns in the story of BotW.

But there doesn't seem to be much to say it seems. I didn't really have any point in the story requiring Link to be exclusively male in BotW. Maybe there just isn't much to talk about beyond controversy. I really don't see why there even needs to be an issue as long as we don't ruin Link in adding the option. I still like the Linkel option as well as an alternative to a gender flip option for Link but that creates more work than just swapping pronouns and changing a few lines of dialogue.

But I am repeating myself now so... Yeah.

DaniHatch
6 months ago#52
DarkLordGig posted...
Not this s*** again! -_-

I am new... Sorry... Don't mean anything bad by it. I actually just wanted to talk about it after the game came out and so... Here we are! -_- Once again... Sorry if it bothers you!

DaniHatch
6 months ago#53
JepMZ posted...
Gaawa_chan posted...
More options = bad, apparently.

I been wanting a playable Zelda herself for a while now. I remember trying to make a fan rpg starring Zelda when I was a kid lol

She's showing a lot of courage and thirst for power in this game recently

I would love a Zelda game too! But the creators keep listing reasons against it as if Link must be the focus or he is useless.

I mean it is the Legend of Zelda series and it is all about Link.

And I do like how they changed her character a bit this time around. But she does seem to be once again second fiddle and need rescuing. But hey. She is not without merit as a scholar and she is very independent as well.

To be honest in my opinion, I do think if you swapped Link and Zelda in this story the only real sticking point would be that Link would have to be someone of rank in the resistance against Calamity Ganon and develop some powers to aid Zelda instead. Certainly he would act a bit different but he could fit the role.

But that again is just my opinion.

User Info: DarkLordGig

DarkLordGig
6 months ago#54
DaniHatch posted...
DarkLordGig posted...
Not this s*** again! -_-

I am new... Sorry... Don't mean anything bad by it. I actually just wanted to talk about it after the game came out and so... Here we are! -_- Once again... Sorry if it bothers you!

No worries. It just gets tiring seeing the same argument over and over again.
JUST 1 FREAKING POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaniHatch
6 months ago#55
RekamOiram posted...
Honestly, if that's what Nintendo wants to do, they can do it. That's the bottomeline for me. Creative rights to tell their story. And it seems from what the other poster said, they took gender into consideration so Link would be as gender neutral as he could and still be male. They are the gods of the Zelda universe. I know you're not coming from a mean-spirited place, but I think it is egocentric to ask them to change their creation to conform the game to your views. I love characters for what they are and not in relation to the degree in which I relate to them. I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, I just don't get why someone would expect another to mold their creation to be malleable to the views of his or her audience. It's the audience who adjusts. Just my thoughts.

I am not asking with any will to force it. Like I said in previous posts. They can leave Link as male as they want. They can make him look as feminine as they want. Look at Raiden from MGS2 onward. He was rather bishonen but he was male and never played at being a mechanism for helping female players imagine themselves as the character without changing that aspect. Raiden is also not a blank slate for most of his character like Link is. Link is meant for the player to portray in part with themselves. So if they keep him male fine but they were not by their own words bothered by players imagining such gender aspects onto him I will do it.

If there is never a female Link I will not suffer nor will I like any part of the series less. I relate to Link like most players from the journey we share more than any aspect of personality he as a character has which is the intention of the creators. I don't demand they change Link or the series to meet any aspect of my desires. They changed it themselves. My main point was not that the character should be changed or that the option should be forced. My main point was always that the character had changed to be stated as more inclusive but that it highlighted that it could be changed because Link is not their gender.

Do I want a female Link, Linkel or Zelda to play. Yes. But I cannot and would not force it just to have it even if I had the power to do so. I support it if it comes. I understand if it doesn't. Link is Link. As a hero there is much to relate to and admire in him as he is. But those virtues, those deeds, those strengths and those aspects that make him who he is are not held by exclusively male or female people. They are just aspects that heroic and good people have. So while I bring it up it is because I see the aspects of people being separate from their gender which I view as more than an aspect of the physical appearance and a point familiar to me on a personal level.

When the creator tells me he is fine with me personally investing in the character I do. But when I find that the option of selecting the gender for a blank slate or an often silent protagonist character is locked I wonder if it is for a real reason that makes the story better or because that is just how it is. Neither is wrong but if it is just how it is then there is no real reason to deny the option. I respect the lore but the lore has to have reasons behind it for such.

To say it again. I don't want to let the player change Link's gender if it hurts the series or the plot or the lore. But if it does not hurt anything then I cannot feel guilty about suggesting it. And only suggesting it. I didn't change Link to more be inclusive. I only got excited by the creators making this small half step. I hope one day I will have a female Link or Linkel or Zelda to play. But I don't want only them. I want male Link to have his day as well. I don't mind him having to be male in some stories or if the creators wish all future stories. But does a female Zelda series hero have no merit? Are there no stories to be told with her? Is it wrong for such an idea to be considered at all? Can only a male Link save Hyrule?

DaniHatch
6 months ago#56
tfc87ja posted...
Only if i can make her boobs bigger than her head

You obviously don't have boobs of your own do you?

Also how in the heck would she jump, climb or fire a bow. Her arms and legs would have to be so long and her spine would have to be made of steel to do anything.

User Info: bidas100

bidas100
6 months ago#57
You want a reason? Appeal to tradition.
You want a better reason? It would slightly change the Gerudo Town part of the game.
You want a good reason? I don't have one.
Fun fact: DC Comics is short for Detective Conan Comics

User Info: LexStorm1998

LexStorm1998
6 months ago#58
Because no one likes gender swapping.

User Info: RekamOiram

RekamOiram
6 months ago#59
"My main point was always that the character had changed to be stated as more inclusive but that it highlighted that it could be changed because Link is not their gender."

Could you restate? I don't know understand what you mean.

Nintendo can do whatever they want and I don't think you should feel guilty for wanting what you want, nor is it wrong, but it does seems needless and misguided. I don't get the desire for wanting to alter a character's attributes so the character is more relatable to me. That seems self-centered, and I'm not saying that to be nasty. It's simply not necessary to share attributes with a character for that character to be relatable. It's myopic. And not every character will be relatable, and not on every level, nor should they be. Can you potentially relate to a character's motivations and values who happens to be a different race, holds a different political or religious belief, or has a differing taste in music or food than you have? I sure hope so. I don't see why gender is any different. Be inclusive by adding more unique and diverse characters rather than recalibrating longstanding and established characters to the feelings of its player.
Print is dead.

User Info: VejitaSS4

VejitaSS4
6 months ago#60
we need wheelchair link
~~Soup Society~~
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Did Link in Breath of the Wild have to be male?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived