I hope weapon durability never returns

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. I hope weapon durability never returns

User Info: VejitaSS4

VejitaSS4
5 months ago#11
i hope weapons break mid swing in the next game
~~Soup Society~~

User Info: T_Info

T_Info
5 months ago#12
@TC: I guess I'm curious as to how you experienced weapon use and combat in previous Zelda games. I replayed TP and WW in the year before BotW came out, and in each case, I spent 80% of the game using the same sword—and practically the same combat move—in every single fight.

So I'm not saying weapon durability is officially the answer, but I'm wondering what you saw in the old system that made combat fun.
Couldn't stand shooters until I played Splatoon and Overwatch. Huge props to Nintendo and Blizzard.

User Info: tirelat

tirelat
5 months ago#13
I think the shield durability in Skyward Sword was a good compromise. Something like that could work for weapons, where you could get weapons repaired at some cost. Maybe you'd need to collect specific parts to get weapons repaired. All in all though, the main problem I've run into with weapon durability is running out of wooden weapons in a storm (which I could deal with by throwing away more metal weapons since I always have more of those than I need).

User Info: DiogenesKC

DiogenesKC
5 months ago#14
tirelat posted...
I think the shield durability in Skyward Sword was a good compromise. Something like that could work for weapons, where you could get weapons repaired at some cost. Maybe you'd need to collect specific parts to get weapons repaired.
why would anyone want that kind of time-wasting tedium when you can just grab replacements as you go?
Welcome to the world of idiots.

User Info: TheDuke2000

TheDuke2000
5 months ago#15
I don't understand claims that Durability as a mechanic increases grinding. Weapons are everywhere, and I certainly have never found myself without anything useful to get me from A to B.

As for wanting it gone (to the OP), the alternative is a small roster of permanent weapons, most of which are phased out end game. Then, you would be whining "There should be more weapons. The selection end-game is crap. Everyone just uses the Master Sword.".

You want it gone? What would you replace it with that would not break the game?

User Info: LexStorm1998

LexStorm1998
5 months ago#16
T_Info posted...
@TC: I guess I'm curious as to how you experienced weapon use and combat in previous Zelda games. I replayed TP and WW in the year before BotW came out, and in each case, I spent 80% of the game using the same sword—and practically the same combat move—in every single fight.

So I'm not saying weapon durability is officially the answer, but I'm wondering what you saw in the old system that made combat fun.

Don't know, having played either in years. I'm not saying they should return to old system of combat, just omit the durability system. It's more of an annoyance than improvement. And it's not like the weapons bring any varity anyway. Swords, you swing. Spears, you stab. Greatswords, you swing harder. None of the weapons you get give you different attacks other than one or two. Otherwise it's mainly just aestetic differences, so you might as well be using the same three types of weapons anyway.

User Info: LexStorm1998

LexStorm1998
5 months ago#17
TheDuke2000 posted...
I don't understand claims that Durability as a mechanic increases grinding. Weapons are everywhere, and I certainly have never found myself without anything useful to get me from A to B.

As for wanting it gone (to the OP), the alternative is a small roster of permanent weapons, most of which are phased out end game. Then, you would be whining "There should be more weapons. The selection end-game is crap. Everyone just uses the Master Sword.".

You want it gone? What would you replace it with that would not break the game?

LIke I said, you're basically using the same three weapons anyway, just with changes in appearance. Everything has the same moveset, so I don't see how having a smaller roster would be a problem. And if I were to replace that system, I would just have them work the same way armor does, whereas they won't do that much damage unless you upgrade them by finding materials. The strongest weapons would just require materials harder to find or in areas where you'd get destroyed if you hadn't played the game enough to get more hearts and upgrade your armor anyway.

User Info: DiogenesKC

DiogenesKC
5 months ago#18
LexStorm1998 posted...
And it's not like the weapons bring any varity anyway. Swords, you swing. Spears, you stab. Greatswords, you swing harder. None of the weapons you get give you different attacks other than one or two.
even with only a few major weapon types the durability system still encourages you to rotate between them because you won't necessarily find an endless stream of one type. and there's more variation to them than just how it swings; damage, element, blunt vs sharp, whether it can be set on fire, whether it attracts lightning, and if it gets boosted against guardians/by the ancient armor are all reasons to use and keep a varied inventory.
And if I were to replace that system, I would just have them work the same way armor does, whereas they won't do that much damage unless you upgrade them by finding materials.
i prefer finding things that I can use immediately rather than just upgrade materials.
The strongest weapons would just require materials ... in areas where you'd get destroyed if you hadn't played the game enough to get more hearts and upgrade your armor anyway.
that's the kind of thing botw was trying to avoid
Welcome to the world of idiots.

User Info: TallWhiteNinja

TallWhiteNinja
5 months ago#19
Eh, not a fan of it in most games, but it works well in this one. I do wish there was a better way to tell what was left on your current weapon, but oh, well.
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/TallWhiteNinja

User Info: Stanger5150

Stanger5150
5 months ago#20
With how successful, and well-received this game has become, I fully expect it to be the new standard for Zelda going forward.

I couldn't be happier about that.
NNID/PSN: BlackRain8782
Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. I hope weapon durability never returns

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived