Link is supposed to represent the player so why are people against this?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Link is supposed to represent the player so why are people against this?

User Info: kokobeng10000

kokobeng10000
1 year ago#1
Making Link female or black etc will only strengthen this. I would be against this if Link wasn't a silent protagonist but HE IS! Explain yourself people who want Link to stay a white blonde dude.

User Info: hop918

hop918
1 year ago#2
Couldn't you just read the 75 other topics that people are talking about this in instead of creating another one?

User Info: Hotel_Security

Hotel_Security
1 year ago#3
Link is supposed to represent the player

I'll never get this. A silent protagonist does not "represent me" in any way. This is an old video game philosophy that one guy started long ago and it doesn't apply in a ton of areas. In almost every game with a silent protagonist I have to watch that protagonist still have interactions and agree to stuff that I would never say or agree to. So it "represents me" in name only. That little theory needs to go away.

Explain yourself people who want Link to stay a white blonde dude.

Tradition matters and it doesn't need to change.

And I'll bet if you polled the average Zelda fan you'd find most are white males...so he represents the fanbase. I fail to see why a game shouldn't represent the majority of its fanbase. Same with females in games...females represent maybe 20% of gamers, if that...so maybe 20% of main characters should be female. It's only fair.

User Info: Zero23

Zero23
1 year ago#4
30 years of male Link.
Days since last news on Zelda Wii U: 371
Last updated: April 1, 2016

User Info: MrKoyemshi

MrKoyemshi
1 year ago#5
kokobeng10000 posted...
Explain yourself people who want Link to stay a white blonde dude.

They have. Thousands of times in the past month alone. Don't be lazy. Just read the other topics.
"You haven't span all across the animes." - donkeyjack
"I love the Zelda series. A Link Between worlds was released for the 3ds in 2013"

User Info: DylanYoshi

DylanYoshi
1 year ago#6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-poU2a9AGc

In this cutscene, we see Link, as a character of his own without any player control, confronting a friend that he had before the player ever had control over him, then backing away and running away awkwardly as if he doesn't know how to say goodbye. There are plenty of things that define Link as a character of his own.

User Info: AshkeAngel

AshkeAngel
1 year ago#7
Fear of any sort of change and the notion that something is somehow being taken away from them by adding more options for more people.

Selfishness, basically.

User Info: Jakerific44

Jakerific44
1 year ago#8
AshkeAngel posted...
Fear of any sort of change and the notion that something is somehow being taken away from them by adding more options for more people.

Selfishness, basically.

Because he's already an established character that doesn't need to change.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/HikariJake

User Info: AshkeAngel

AshkeAngel
1 year ago#9
Jakerific44 posted...
AshkeAngel posted...

Selfishness, basically.

An established character that has been different from reincarnation to reincarnation starting with Adventure of Link -> Link to the Past.

Link changes all the time.

User Info: Jakerific44

Jakerific44
1 year ago#10
AshkeAngel posted...
Jakerific44 posted...
AshkeAngel posted...

Selfishness, basically.

An established character that has been different from reincarnation to reincarnation starting with Adventure of Link -> Link to the Past.

Link changes all the time.

I love how everyone always contradicts themselves.
First, they say that Link has no personality.
Then, I claim that he does have an established personality.
And after I say that, they make the argument that Link changes all of the time.

So, answer me this: How does Link change if he has no personality to begin with?
This isn't even necessarily directed at you, but more to everyone who has made both the claim that he has no character and that he changes in every game.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/HikariJake
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Link is supposed to represent the player so why are people against this?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived