This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why the Pac-Man, Mii, and Little Mac rumor could be little more than conjecture.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  3. Why the Pac-Man, Mii, and Little Mac rumor could be little more than conjecture.

User Info: Volvagia_Rulz

Volvagia_Rulz
4 years ago#1
80/80

I am fairly certain everyone is familiar with the "leak" stating that e3 2013 was supposed to show off 6 new characters for SSB4. For those who are not, the information can be found here:

http://gematsu.com/2013/06/wii-fit-trainer-joins-super-smash-bros

For the most part, everyone seems fairly certain that this leak is legitimate. How can one not, especially if you give the benefit of the doubt that this leak really was made before e3? How could someone have predicted Miss Fit ever being in the game without insider knowledge?

The biggest issue with this leak is we have no way of knowing if the information really got to gematsu before e3. The site states, "Gematsu was tipped off about Nintendo’s E3," however, "since we were unable to confirm the validity of our source, we refrained from posting the information."

I find this extremely convenient. Look at the numerous other "leaks" and what have you that have been posted without proper source validation--what was stopping those leaks?

However, for the sake of this topic I will give gematsu the benefit of the doubt as well. Lets assume the person tipping off gematsu really did have access to the Smash Bros. trailer and what have you before e3. How could this leak be wrong if they got 50% of the supposed leaked characters correct?

Because the three characters predicted correctly were the only characters the person provided the leak actually knew about.

The trailers obviously showed off Villager, Mega Man, and Miss Fit. There are no arguments there. The leak also suggests that Mii, Little Mac, and Pac-Man were to make an appearance. Why would anyone possibly suggest there were other characters to be revealed when they had no concrete evidence these characters were in the game?

1) To generate hype for the game and 2) To bring about attention to the leak.

Either one of these two points could have been the catalyst for predicting three characters that had not been confirmed. The question is, why those three characters (Mii, Little Mac, and Pac-Man)? Why would the leak single out those three newcomers over the boundless other possibilities?

Because there were other aspects from the trailers that made those three characters the most believable and/or easy to "predict" at a glance.

*Continued in next post
Now Playing: Tales of Graces F, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, The Binding of Isaac, Fairway Solitare

Volvagia_Rulz
4 years ago#2
Little Mac: http://i.imgur.com/xsp0ef7.jpg

There is a boxing ring? Little Mac is a boxer; ergo, Little Mac being in the game would make sense!

Mii: http://www.smashbros.com/images/character/murabito/screen-8.jpg

Hey that looks a lot like the Mii from the Balloon Fight mini-game in Nintendo Land...

*Keep in mind if we believe this leak, this picture would not have been filed under the Villager's Smash Bros. page.

Pac-Man: *No picture

Well Namco is helping make this game and Pac-Man is there most well-known character so....

Each of these characters has some extremely convenient argument in place for their inclusion, however nothing was shown at e3 to suggest any of these three characters are to be included. Furthermore, the proposition that Nintendo caught wind of the leak and decided not reveal these characters simply is absurd. Why would you remove the opportunity to promote one of your new games even further, especially with another guest character, just because someone on the Internet caught wind of it beforehand? From a marketing standpoint, this makes no sense whatsoever especially if the reveal kits for Mii, Little Mac, and Pac-Man were ready to go.

Now granted, this is merely my perspective on the situation. For all I or anyone else knows, this leak is correct and we will see these three characters in the game at some point. All I am saying is there is no reason to assume this leak is 100% correct.

TL;DR Everything about this leak is too convenient to be true.
Now Playing: Tales of Graces F, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, The Binding of Isaac, Fairway Solitare

User Info: FishyGoodness12

FishyGoodness12
4 years ago#3
Volvagia_Rulz posted...
Little Mac: http://i.imgur.com/xsp0ef7.jpg

There is a boxing ring? Little Mac is a boxer; ergo, Little Mac being in the game would make sense!

Mii: http://www.smashbros.com/images/character/murabito/screen-8.jpg

Hey that looks a lot like the Mii from the Balloon Fight mini-game in Nintendo Land...

*Keep in mind if we believe this leak, this picture would not have been filed under the Villager's Smash Bros. page.

Pac-Man: *No picture

Well Namco is helping make this game and Pac-Man is there most well-known character so....

Each of these characters has some extremely convenient argument in place for their inclusion, however nothing was shown at e3 to suggest any of these three characters are to be included. Furthermore, the proposition that Nintendo caught wind of the leak and decided not reveal these characters simply is absurd. Why would you remove the opportunity to promote one of your new games even further, especially with another guest character, just because someone on the Internet caught wind of it beforehand? From a marketing standpoint, this makes no sense whatsoever especially if the reveal kits for Mii, Little Mac, and Pac-Man were ready to go.

Now granted, this is merely my perspective on the situation. For all I or anyone else knows, this leak is correct and we will see these three characters in the game at some point. All I am saying is there is no reason to assume this leak is 100% correct.

TL;DR Everything about this leak is too convenient to be true.

Sakurai : *laughs*
Not changing this sig until Tohru Adachi is added in Playstation Allstars Battle Royale.

User Info: MeatyChip

MeatyChip
4 years ago#4
Evidence for the leak: CAW_Evolution says the leak source is legitimate and he's leaked plenty of fighting games in the past.

/topic

Volvagia_Rulz
4 years ago#5
MeatyChip posted...
Evidence for the leak: CAW_Evolution says the leak source is legitimate and he's leaked plenty of fighting games in the past.

/topic

This hardly proves the leak is correct. This assumes that A) the person providing the leak is correct 100% of the time and B) CAW_Evolution is correct in stating the leak source is legitimate.

Not to harp on CAW_Evolution of course; however, there is little reason to say the leak is correct just because he said so, especially since he provided the leak.

That, and the leak has already been wrong on one thing: the three characters in question (Mii, Little Mac, Pac-Man) were not revealed at e3 like the leak said they would be.

User Info: kukingina2

kukingina2
4 years ago#6
MeatyChip posted...

/topic

was he the same guy that leaked Super Street Fighter 4, Marvel 3 and SF cross Tekken rosters? then its totally legit
Is Metroid's gun part of his armor or is he a cyborg like Data from Star wars?
3ds fc: 4940-5506-2047

User Info: Earthisnotflat

Earthisnotflat
4 years ago#7
I... am actually pretty persuaded by this. That may just be because I am underwhelmed by Mii and Pac-Man and don't particularly want to see them included, but regardless this is a very compelling argument. I definitely see the logic here, and hope you are correct.
Waiting for a game to make me interested in video games again.

User Info: Charizard18

Charizard18
4 years ago#8
It wouldn't be the first time a company has held off on revealing characters because of a leak. With Playstation All Stars, the entire release roster was leaked months before release and this caused the developers to hold off on reveals and IIRC it completely messed up their schedules. As a developer, having things as big as characters be leaked can be incredibly annoying and is something that can cause you to change up your schedule. I'm not saying that's exactly what happened here but it's entirely plausible. The leaker in question posted these characters shortly before e3 and the Smash trailer was shown.
Who would win, Jedi Charizard or Jedi Jigglypuff?
"Ready--but watch out for the ULTIMATE TRAFFIC STOPPER: A POLICE ROADBLOCK."
(message deleted)

User Info: MeatyChip

MeatyChip
4 years ago#10
kukingina2 posted...
MeatyChip posted...

/topic

was he the same guy that leaked Super Street Fighter 4, Marvel 3 and SF cross Tekken rosters? then its totally legit

Yes, it's him.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  3. Why the Pac-Man, Mii, and Little Mac rumor could be little more than conjecture.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived